Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS - Storage

This is a discussion on Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS - Storage ; I need to to know if people with huge capacity SATA hard drives (500GB and up) have the following problem : Bought a new hard drive, install it, formatted the disk, install the OS, use it for 2 months, and ...

  1. Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    I need to to know if people with huge capacity SATA hard drives (500GB
    and up) have the following problem :

    Bought a new hard drive, install it, formatted the disk, install the
    OS, use it for 2 months, and then weird things start popping up.

    The hard drive that I am using is Western Digital's WD6400AAKS -- a
    640GB hard drive.

    I bought it to replace my 250 GB drive, which is running out of
    capacity. I do a lot of video editing.

    Bought the hard drive back in 2nd of July this year. Install the hard
    drive into my PC, partitioned it into 2 logical volume (Drive C: and
    Drive D and then install the OS onto it. The OS that I use is Win
    XP. The HD is formatted under NTFS file system.

    Drive C: has 30 GB and the rest, about 570GB, falls under drive D:

    I ran chkdsk (check disk) on both partitions (chkdsk /f /r /x) and
    there wasn't any error. So I thought I had bought a good drive and was
    feeling very happy.

    It runs okay for 2 months, and then ...

    Sometimes when I start my PC, the PC can't find the drive.

    Other times, the PC can find the drive, but running extra ordinarily
    slow.

    I dropped down to the Command Prompt level, use "chkdsk" again to
    check what's wrong.

    The command that I use is still the same "chkdsk /x /r /f" --- to
    dismount the disk, and to "fix" the disk if there is anything wrong,
    and to check (recover) bad sector.

    Long and behold, there _ARE_ bad sectors !!

    Drive C has 82KB of bad sectors, and Drive D has 288KB of bad sectors.

    This is a drive that I'd just used for 2 months !! And the
    manufacturing date (the date stamped on the label of the drive)
    indicated that it was made June, 2008. In all account, this is a _NEW_
    drive, and it is developing BAD SECTORS !!!

    The 250GB drive that I used never gave me any problem. This 640GB,
    however, worries me !

    I know that 400KB of bad sector, for a 640GB (actually it's 597GB
    after formatted) hard drive, is insignificant. But still, bad sectors
    are still BAD SECTORS, and I am afraid that the bad sectors would
    spread !!

    That is why I am posting this message, asking the people who have more
    experience than me in using huge capacity hard drive --- is the bad
    sectors common occurrance?

    Or that I'm just too unlucky to get myself a lemon?

    BTW, the hard drive is EXTREMELY HOT, not warm, but VERY HOT !!! I do
    not have the actual temperature in it (I do not know if there is any
    utility out there that would give me the drive's actual temperature)
    but when I touch the drive, it was very HOT !!!

    Please, please help.

    Thank you !

  2. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    1. Have you run the WD diagnostics utility yet?

    2. Do you have sufficient airflow through your case? (front and rear
    case fans are good things).

    Ari

    Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  3. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:46:22 -0700 (PDT) Penang kalambong@gmail.com the
    Slapstick Neuter Advisory Assurance Group member wrote in

    >I need to to know if people with huge capacity SATA hard drives (500GB
    > and up)

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    You ****ing peasant.

    > have the following problem :
    >
    > Bought a new hard drive, install it, formatted the disk, install the
    > OS, use it for 2 months, and then weird things start popping up.

    Oh yes, wierd things popping up, you need to RMA that hard drive.

    > The hard drive that I am using is Western Digital's WD6400AAKS -- a
    > 640GB hard drive.
    >
    > I bought it to replace my 250 GB drive, which is running out of
    > capacity. I do a lot of video editing.
    >
    > Bought the hard drive back in 2nd of July this year. Install the hard
    > drive into my PC, partitioned it into 2 logical volume (Drive C: and
    > Drive D and then install the OS onto it. The OS that I use is Win
    > XP. The HD is formatted under NTFS file system.

    Try again, ****nuts.
    You need to install Windows XP onto a primary partition, in fact the second
    partition should be primary too.
    Are you some sort of win98 gooroo or summatt?

    Really? Wow. that'll be all the ****ing about you're doing.

    > Drive C has 82KB of bad sectors, and Drive D has 288KB of bad sectors.
    >
    > This is a drive that I'd just used for 2 months !! And the
    > manufacturing date (the date stamped on the label of the drive)
    > indicated that it was made June, 2008. In all account, this is a _NEW_
    > drive, and it is developing BAD SECTORS !!!

    No need to ****ing shout about it here. RMA the cunt and hope for the best.
    Take garry glitter precautions first though, eh!

    > The 250GB drive that I used never gave me any problem. This 640GB,
    > however, worries me !

    Western digital, you say?
    More fool you, you ****ing Jew cunt.
    Buy a proper large hard drive from a reputable manufacturer and from a
    reputable source too.

    > I know that 400KB of bad sector, for a 640GB (actually it's 597GB
    > after formatted) hard drive, is insignificant. But still, bad sectors
    > are still BAD SECTORS, and I am afraid that the bad sectors would
    > spread !!

    London to brick the drive is overheating either because western digital are
    ****, which they are or you didnt install it correctly.

    Your drive isn't huge, get over it for **** sake. No one's impressed.

    > Or that I'm just too unlucky to get myself a lemon?

    A lmon would have been both cheaper, tastier and more reliable.
    You bought a piece of ****, there's no surprisees if such a drive fails,
    honestly.

    > BTW, the hard drive is EXTREMELY HOT, not warm, but VERY HOT !!! I do

    You wittered on for about 20 minutes about the ****ing thing and didn't care
    to consider that hot hard drives are ****ed hard drives? Why on earth didn't
    you put that in the subject line. You could have saved everyone a lot of
    time.

    > not have the actual temperature in it (I do not know if there is any
    > utility out there that would give me the drive's actual temperature)
    > but when I touch the drive, it was very HOT !!!

    Many utilities, I use Everest. Dtemp is the one for Jews and peasants, it's
    free.
    Download Dtemp and use it to check the SMART logs too.

    > Please, please help.
    >
    > Thank you !

    Best advice is to buy a 1TB drive from a reputable supplier, RMA the western
    digital POS and sell what you get back on ebay for about 250 Rand.

    You might find that using a smaller, single platter hard drive for the
    operating system and a larger drive for your video stuff and other filth is
    a better setup. You'll need a proper PC Case so you can put the drives in
    properly.

    HTH

    --
    Lunch was nice; Foul piglet clitoris and vole mucus membrane conserve
    with brewed pancreas aside doomed human armpit hairs and lemon garnish

  4. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    wrote:

    >I need to to know if people with huge capacity SATA hard drives (500GB
    >and up) have the following problem :
    >
    >Bought a new hard drive, install it, formatted the disk, install the
    >OS, use it for 2 months, and then weird things start popping up.
    >
    >The hard drive that I am using is Western Digital's WD6400AAKS -- a
    >640GB hard drive.
    >
    >I bought it to replace my 250 GB drive, which is running out of
    >capacity. I do a lot of video editing.
    >
    >Bought the hard drive back in 2nd of July this year. Install the hard
    >drive into my PC, partitioned it into 2 logical volume (Drive C: and
    >Drive D and then install the OS onto it. The OS that I use is Win
    >XP. The HD is formatted under NTFS file system.
    >
    >Drive C: has 30 GB and the rest, about 570GB, falls under drive D:
    >
    >I ran chkdsk (check disk) on both partitions (chkdsk /f /r /x) and
    >there wasn't any error. So I thought I had bought a good drive and was
    >feeling very happy.
    >
    >It runs okay for 2 months, and then ...
    >
    >Sometimes when I start my PC, the PC can't find the drive.
    >
    >Other times, the PC can find the drive, but running extra ordinarily
    >slow.
    >
    >I dropped down to the Command Prompt level, use "chkdsk" again to
    >check what's wrong.
    >
    >The command that I use is still the same "chkdsk /x /r /f" --- to
    >dismount the disk, and to "fix" the disk if there is anything wrong,
    >and to check (recover) bad sector.
    >
    >Long and behold, there _ARE_ bad sectors !!
    >
    >Drive C has 82KB of bad sectors, and Drive D has 288KB of bad sectors.
    >
    >This is a drive that I'd just used for 2 months !! And the
    >manufacturing date (the date stamped on the label of the drive)
    >indicated that it was made June, 2008. In all account, this is a _NEW_
    >drive, and it is developing BAD SECTORS !!!
    >
    >The 250GB drive that I used never gave me any problem. This 640GB,
    >however, worries me !
    >
    >I know that 400KB of bad sector, for a 640GB (actually it's 597GB
    >after formatted) hard drive, is insignificant. But still, bad sectors
    >are still BAD SECTORS, and I am afraid that the bad sectors would
    >spread !!
    >
    >That is why I am posting this message, asking the people who have more
    >experience than me in using huge capacity hard drive --- is the bad
    >sectors common occurrance?
    >
    >Or that I'm just too unlucky to get myself a lemon?
    >
    >BTW, the hard drive is EXTREMELY HOT, not warm, but VERY HOT !!! I do
    >not have the actual temperature in it (I do not know if there is any
    >utility out there that would give me the drive's actual temperature)
    >but when I touch the drive, it was very HOT !!!
    >
    >Please, please help.
    >
    >Thank you !

    These are not problems specific to 500GB or larger drives.
    Run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics, look at your Windows
    Event Viewer to see if any seemingly associated errors are
    logged, and try disconnecting and reconnecting the cables
    (including the motherboard end).

    As for the PC not finding the drive, does it have a very
    short POST before trying to boot? If so, perhaps the drive
    isn't spinning up fast enough, see if there is a bios
    setting for a time period it might wait and set that for a
    couple seconds or more.

  5. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    "kony" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >>BTW, the hard drive is EXTREMELY HOT, not warm, but VERY HOT !!! I do
    >>not have the actual temperature in it (I do not know if there is any
    >>utility out there that would give me the drive's actual temperature)
    >>but when I touch the drive, it was very HOT !!!
    >>
    >>Please, please help.
    >>
    >>Thank you !

    > These are not problems specific to 500GB or larger drives.
    > Run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics, look at your Windows
    > Event Viewer to see if any seemingly associated errors are
    > logged, and try disconnecting and reconnecting the cables
    > (including the motherboard end).
    >
    > As for the PC not finding the drive, does it have a very
    > short POST before trying to boot? If so, perhaps the drive
    > isn't spinning up fast enough, see if there is a bios
    > setting for a time period it might wait and set that for a

    many years ago that answer cured a problematic drive I had.............

  6. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Penang wrote:
    > I need to to know if people with huge capacity SATA hard drives (500GB
    > and up) have the following problem :

    > Bought a new hard drive, install it, formatted the disk, install the
    > OS, use it for 2 months, and then weird things start popping up.

    > The hard drive that I am using is Western Digital's WD6400AAKS -- a
    > 640GB hard drive.

    > I bought it to replace my 250 GB drive, which is running out of
    > capacity. I do a lot of video editing.

    > Bought the hard drive back in 2nd of July this year. Install the hard
    > drive into my PC, partitioned it into 2 logical volume (Drive C: and
    > Drive D and then install the OS onto it. The OS that I use is Win
    > XP. The HD is formatted under NTFS file system.

    > Drive C: has 30 GB and the rest, about 570GB, falls under drive D:

    > I ran chkdsk (check disk) on both partitions (chkdsk /f /r /x) and
    > there wasn't any error. So I thought I had bought a good drive and was
    > feeling very happy.

    First mistake: Chkdsk doe snot check the disk at all. It only lok
    s at the filesystem medatada. Use a long SMART selftest for a disk
    ckeck (can be started with most SMART tools).

    > It runs okay for 2 months, and then ...

    > Sometimes when I start my PC, the PC can't find the drive.

    > Other times, the PC can find the drive, but running extra ordinarily
    > slow.

    > I dropped down to the Command Prompt level, use "chkdsk" again to
    > check what's wrong.

    > The command that I use is still the same "chkdsk /x /r /f" --- to
    > dismount the disk, and to "fix" the disk if there is anything wrong,
    > and to check (recover) bad sector.

    > Long and behold, there _ARE_ bad sectors !!

    Nad, Vey bad.

    > Drive C has 82KB of bad sectors, and Drive D has 288KB of bad sectors.

    > This is a drive that I'd just used for 2 months !! And the
    > manufacturing date (the date stamped on the label of the drive)
    > indicated that it was made June, 2008. In all account, this is a _NEW_
    > drive, and it is developing BAD SECTORS !!!

    So? The technical term is infant mortality. It happens and is
    one of the reasons youy need backup.

    > The 250GB drive that I used never gave me any problem. This 640GB,
    > however, worries me !

    > I know that 400KB of bad sector, for a 640GB (actually it's 597GB
    > after formatted) hard drive, is insignificant. But still, bad sectors
    > are still BAD SECTORS, and I am afraid that the bad sectors would
    > spread !!

    Any bad sectors are significant. The occasional single one might not
    be, but that is 800'000 bas sectors, if your diagnosis is right,
    an a reason to toss the driev.

    > That is why I am posting this message, asking the people who have more
    > experience than me in using huge capacity hard drive --- is the bad
    > sectors common occurrance?

    > Or that I'm just too unlucky to get myself a lemon?

    I would think lemmon.

    > BTW, the hard drive is EXTREMELY HOT, not warm, but VERY HOT !!! I do
    > not have the actual temperature in it (I do not know if there is any
    > utility out there that would give me the drive's actual temperature)
    > but when I touch the drive, it was very HOT !!!

    Speedfan, e.g., displays dirve temperature. Temperature is one of
    the main HDD killers.

    So, get a SMART utility, run along SMART selftes and
    look at the SMART attributes (or post them here). Chkdsk
    is unusable for HDD diagnostics.

    Arno

  7. Re: Problem with Western Digital's WD6400AAKS

    "(!)" wrote:
    > "kony" wrote in message

    .... snip ...

    >> As for the PC not finding the drive, does it have a very
    >> short POST before trying to boot? If so, perhaps the drive
    >> isn't spinning up fast enough, see if there is a bios
    >> setting for a time period it might wait and set that for a
    >> couple seconds or more.

    > many years ago that answer cured a problematic drive I had....

    Note the snip level on this. It carries the same information that
    your post did. Please snip anything that does not bear on your