Defragmentation software for Windows XP? - Storage

This is a discussion on Defragmentation software for Windows XP? - Storage ; I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the latest and greatest in the defrag software wars? Thanks Ken K...

  1. Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging
    is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the
    latest and greatest in the defrag software wars?

    Thanks
    Ken K

  2. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    Best and most trouble free is included with XP.
    "Ken" wrote in message
    >I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging is
    >necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the latest and
    >greatest in the defrag software wars?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

  3. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    there is no debate
    on the benefits of
    defraging the disk:

    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/article/defraghd.htm

    here is more tools
    offered by microsoft:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/defrag.mspx

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    "Ken" wrote in message news:Emgwk.37511$4s1.26842@newsfe06.iad...
    >I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what
    >is the latest and greatest in the defrag software wars?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

  4. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    Ken wrote:

    > I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging
    > is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the
    > latest and greatest in the defrag software wars?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

    Since defragging matters little on most SOHO PCs, I recommend using the
    cheapest defragger available -- the one that is included with the OS.

    --
    Cheers, Bob

  5. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ken wrote:
    > I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging
    > is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the
    > latest and greatest in the defrag software wars?

    The included defragger is not very good, but should do in
    most situations. It also seems it only rarely trashed the disk.
    Woth other solutions the riosk may be higher and less reported,
    because they see less use.

    Arno

  6. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ken wrote:
    >
    >>I am aware that there has been lots of debate as to whether defragging
    >>is necessary, but if one chooses to use such software, what is the
    >>latest and greatest in the defrag software wars?

    > The included defragger is not very good, but should do in
    > most situations. It also seems it only rarely trashed the disk.
    > Woth other solutions the riosk may be higher and less reported,
    > because they see less use.
    >
    > Arno

    I use Samba to serve up files. That way I never have to defrag.

  7. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    crispian123 wrote:
    > can u tell me why defragmentation is needed ???

    By moving files and/or pieces of a file closer together on the HD, the
    number of and length of seeks will be reduced. Seek minimization will
    decrease the time to load files, which *can sometimes* be noticeable to
    the user(s).

    Defragging is a big deal on heavily used servers; less so on SOHO PCs.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  8. Re: Defragmentation software for Windows XP?

    For anyone using windows 2000, Perfect Disk works well. At least my
    OLD version

    The defrag program that shipped with win2k was dismal, probably what
    gave defragging a bad name back when.

+ Reply to Thread