Error....VSS (volume shadow copy service) Hardware provider error - Storage

This is a discussion on Error....VSS (volume shadow copy service) Hardware provider error - Storage ; Hi I am developing a new VSS Hardware Provider for a iSCSI target. For the stub implementation i think of simulating the snapshot process, i think of -> taking a persistent snapshot (using vshadow) of one of the iscsi target ...

  1. Error....VSS (volume shadow copy service) Hardware provider error

    Hi

    I am developing a new VSS Hardware Provider for a iSCSI target.

    For the stub implementation i think of simulating the snapshot process,

    i think of ->
    taking a persistent snapshot (using vshadow) of one of the iscsi target node
    which is already exposed to the system( using iscsi initiator)

    In the hardware implementation part i exposed another same sized iscsi node
    as the resultant snapshot.

    i populate the basic VDS_LUN_INFORMATION during gettarget luns (like product
    id, vendorid etc as these values are same for all the iscsi nodes)

    then during the locateluns process i issue iscsicli command to surface the
    particular iscsi node to the system and issue scsi inquiry command to the
    drive to populate the remaing vds lun info which was left out during
    gettarget luns process.

    i populate all that is required during gettargetluns method
    but the snapshot process returns error,

    #1 The method FillInLunInfo is being called several times over.

    #2 After, (several) FillInLunInfo calls, OnLunEmpty is called.
    however i checked VDS_LUN_INFORMATION has correct values for the
    target LUN though.

    I appreciate any help in nailing this down.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Error....VSS (volume shadow copy service) Hardware provider error

    On Aug 29, 6:56*am, rajesh wrote:
    ic VDS_LUN_INFORMATION during gettarget luns (like product
    > id, vendorid etc as these values are same for all the iscsi nodes)
    >
    > then during the locateluns process i issue iscsicli command to surface the
    > particular iscsi node to the system and issue scsi inquiry command to the
    > drive to populate the remaing vds lun info which was left out during
    > gettarget luns process.

    GetTargetLuns must give VSS an shadow copy identifier it can use after
    LocateLuns to conclude this lun that just surfaced is indeed the
    shadow copy created earlier.
    If all you fill out in the VDS_LUN_INFORMATION is generic stuff, VSS
    can not recognize the shadow copy when it surfaces during LocateLuns.

  3. Re: Error....VSS (volume shadow copy service) Hardware provider error

    Hi there,

    Are you still struggling with this issue? I might be able to help you out if you let me know the status on this!

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread