SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks? - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks? - Storage ; Trying to do a costa analysis. I don't want to call a sales guy because you know what happens if you do. I am trying to get the latest street numbers for fibre and sata disks for a SAN infrastructure. ...

  1. SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks?

    Trying to do a costa analysis. I don't want to call a sales guy because you
    know what happens if you do.

    I am trying to get the latest street numbers for fibre and sata disks for a SAN
    infrastructure. If you can shoot me a number off the top of your head, I'd
    appreciate it.

  2. Re: SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks?

    Boll Weevil wrote:
    > Trying to do a costa analysis. I don't want to call a sales guy because you
    > know what happens if you do.

    You might get the information you are looking for?

  3. Re: SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks?

    Boll Weevil wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:03:39 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Boll Weevil wrote:
    >>> Trying to do a costa analysis. I don't want to call a sales guy because you
    >>> know what happens if you do.

    >>You might get the information you are looking for?

    > You're either a sales guy or have never tried to price out a SAN.

    I'm not willing to sit though bull**** and and am not a pushover. When I
    call sales people out, I ask the questions and they answer them or leave.

    Is it rude? who cares, if you're on the paying side.

    Call them out, tell he to save the stories for somebody else and to fillin
    the blanks below or leave.

    > Fibre disk cost per MB ________________
    > SATA disk cost per MB ________________

    If they need to go back to the office to make a quote, that's fine too.

    All those sales people have those prices memorized anyways.

  4. Re: SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks?

    On Aug 29, 9:57*am, Boll Weevil wrote:
    > I am trying to get the latest street numbers for fibre and sata disks fora SAN
    > infrastructure. *If you can shoot me a *number off the top of your head, I'd
    > appreciate it.

    The numbers are all over the board and it depends on how much you buy
    and how much you want to expand to. It depends on if you are willing
    to let your existing vendor be punted and who that vendor is. It
    depends on what software you have added to that storage. You and I
    could ask the same vendor and get very different answers. It depends
    if you want to buy for capacity or performance. It depends if you buy
    a low-end SAN from Nexsan or a high-end SAN from EMC - those 2 don't
    compete on price.

    I've gone through dozens of varying cost models and that's just based
    on what we buy here.

    You'll find some street price guides at http://storagemojo.com/category/price-guide/.
    You'll need to know your part numbers though.

    It's like asking for a street price for a new car. I can shoot you an
    $18K figure because I drive a Saturn but my VP will give you a
    different figure because he drives a Jag and $18K will only get you a
    steering wheel.

  5. Re: SAN cost per MB........... Fibre and SATA disks?

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:00:07 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
    wrote:

    >Boll Weevil wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:03:39 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
    >> wrote:

    >>>You might get the information you are looking for?

    >> You're either a sales guy or have never tried to price out a SAN.

    >I'm not willing to sit though bull**** and and am not a pushover. When I
    >call sales people out, I ask the questions and they answer them or leave.
    >
    >Is it rude? who cares, if you're on the paying side.
    >
    >Call them out, tell he to save the stories for somebody else and to fillin
    >the blanks below or leave.
    >
    >> Fibre disk cost per MB ________________
    >> SATA disk cost per MB ________________

    >If they need to go back to the office to make a quote, that's fine too.
    >
    >All those sales people have those prices memorized anyways.

    He's right. When a sales rep gets all EMC'y on me I just start to
    show him/her the door. They usually come back to the
    customer/supplier relationship pretty quick.

    Twice it's not worked, and they went out the door in which they came.
    Not a problem since there were 3 other vendors waiting for the chance.

    In fact, you need to put out an RFQ so you have something solid to
    bind them to when the time comes to purchase.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread