Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4 - Storage

This is a discussion on Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4 - Storage ; Greetings Macheads! I need some assistance to squeeze some more life out of a Quicksilver G4. The computer in question has 2 internal hard drives (80 gigs each). One gave up the ghost a while ago and the second one ...

  1. Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4

    Greetings Macheads!

    I need some assistance to squeeze some more life out of a Quicksilver
    G4. The computer in question has 2 internal hard drives (80 gigs
    each). One gave up the ghost a while ago and the second one has now
    done the same.

    So, my questions are:

    - Type of drive I should be looking for: ATA? Ultra ATA? Other? (note:
    I really don't understand the differences of the various formats. Just
    looking to get the working right so I order the right one).

    - I recall from reading specs somewhere (can't find the link now) that
    there is a limit to the capacity of drive this computer will handle.
    Correct? Is it 80 gigs?

    - Can anyone recommend a source (other than ebay) for obtaining a
    replacement? I need to get this computer running ASAP so reliability
    and customer service is more important than saving a couple of $$.

    Your suggestions and caveats are welcome.

    As always your help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4

    bobish writes:

    >- Can anyone recommend a source (other than ebay) for obtaining a
    >replacement? I need to get this computer running ASAP so reliability
    >and customer service is more important than saving a couple of $$.

    Newegg is better than most....

  3. Re: Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4

    Thanks to all who responded. Other World insists that all the drives
    on that list will work on my Quicksilver so I ordered a 500 Gig
    drive. At less than $100, I'll take a chance and see how it goes.

    On Aug 29, 2:27*am, demp...@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
    > If you aren't sure which model you have, look at the serial number
    > (printed on the back of the computer). After the initial two characters,
    > the third character (always a digit) is the year of manufacture, and the
    > next two are the week of the year. I'd expect any with a '2' in the
    > third character to support larger drives, but '1' might not unless it is
    > very late in the year. (Mine starts with "SG204", which is 2002, week
    > 4.)

    My serial # starts with "XB203" so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    > You can also add another ATA or SATA controller on a PCI card, which
    > won't suffer from this limitation (as long as the card is new enough -
    > manufactured in 2002 or later should be safe enough). The limit is
    > determined by the specific controller hardware.

    Thanks. This can be plan B.

    > There is also a software solution to work around the 128 GB limit, which
    > I haven't tried. Someone (Prosoft?) released a driver which provides
    > 48-bit LBA support on older Mac models, but it might have some
    > limitations such as restricting the size and placement of the boot
    > partition.

    Interesting. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to this.

    Thanks again to all who responded.

  4. Re: Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4

    I decided to get the Hitachi 500 gig drive. It's the second one on the
    list of compatible drives:

    http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

    Received it today. After installation, it shows up on Disk Utility
    (reads as 465.8 gig) but I cannot erase, partition, etc. Disk Utility
    says Input/Output Error. So, this means the disk is bad or something
    else? I am contacting OW Computing to see what their take is but I
    wouldn't mind a second opinion or two.

  5. Re: Help me with a new internal HD for my Quicksilver G4

    Hey everyone,

    It looks like I have everything resolved. Posting my findings here:

    There must have been some bad juju with the second internal HD on that
    computer. That drive was acting kinda funny even before and once I
    took off line, the new 500 gig Hitachi came up without a problem. I
    partitioned it and am copying my data off a firewire BU now. So, in
    case anyone is wondering, Other World tech was right. My model of the
    Quicksilver does recognize the larger drives.

    Thanks to all for the assistance.

+ Reply to Thread