Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird bootmsg - Storage

This is a discussion on Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird bootmsg - Storage ; My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but it finds ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird bootmsg

    My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
    boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
    delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
    it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
    the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

    Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    Western digital website does not even list it.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

    Suresh

  2. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    rahejasuresh@gmail.com wrote:

    > My 250 gb drive has died.

    You into necrophilia ?

    > Windows no longer sees it at all.

    Not even in disk management ?

    > During boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot.
    > It delays boot process by about a minute.

    > Smart has been enabled now, but it finds nothing.

    It wont necessarily say anything depending on the SMART data the drive returns.

    > Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
    > drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    > identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

    Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.

    > Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    > Western digital website does not even list it.

    > Any ideas?

    She's dead, Jim.

    See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

  3. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Rod Speed wrote in news:6gpn5sFh5hkhU1@mid.individual.net
    > rahejasuresh@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > My 250 gb drive has died.

    > You into necrophilia ?
    >
    > > Windows no longer sees it at all.

    > Not even in disk management ?
    >
    > > During boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot.
    > > It delays boot process by about a minute.

    > > Smart has been enabled now, but it finds nothing.

    > It wont necessarily say anything depending on the SMART data the drive returns.

    It doesn't say anything because it is dead, Jimmy.
    You should try and read your own text sometimes.

    > > Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
    > > drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    > > identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

    > Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.
    >
    > > Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    > > Western digital website does not even list it.

    > > Any ideas?

    > She's dead, Jim.
    >
    > See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

  4. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weirdboot msg

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > rahejasuresh@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Windows no longer sees it at all.

    > Not even in disk management ?

    Not in Disk Management, and not even in Device Manager.

    >> Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
    >> drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    >> identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

    > Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.

    Which would indicate that it's an electronic problem or a mechanical
    problem?

    >> Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    >> Western digital website does not even list it.

    >> Any ideas?

    > She's dead, Jim.
    >
    > See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

    Don't know if it's still under warranty. Would have to look for the
    receipt. Should I try calling Western Digital anyway?

  5. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Suresh wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> rahejasuresh@gmail.com wrote

    >>> Windows no longer sees it at all.

    >> Not even in disk management ?

    > Not in Disk Management, and not even in Device Manager.

    >>> Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows the
    >>> drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    >>> identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".

    >> Thats not unusual when the drive cant even get the microcode started properly.

    > Which would indicate that it's an electronic problem or a mechanical problem?

    Can be either. Some drives keep at least some of the microcode
    on the platter and so if a mechanical problem prevents access to
    the data on the platters, it cant load all the microcode anymore.

    >>> Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    >>> Western digital website does not even list it.

    >>> Any ideas?

    >> She's dead, Jim.

    >> See what the WD diagnostics think of the drive and claim under warranty if its still in warranty.

    > Don't know if it's still under warranty. Would have to look for the
    > receipt. Should I try calling Western Digital anyway?

    Yes, they should be able to tell you if its still under warranty. It may or may not be at that size.

  6. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), rahejasuresh@gmail.com put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
    >boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
    >delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
    >it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
    >the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    >identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".
    >
    >Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    >Western digital website does not even list it.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Suresh

    This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:

    http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html
    http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera

    - Franc Zabkar

  7. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:01:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), rahejasuresh@gmail.com put
    >finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
    >>boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
    >>delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
    >>it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
    >>the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    >>identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".
    >>
    >>Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    >>Western digital website does not even list it.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>Suresh

    >This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:
    >
    >http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html
    >http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera
    >
    >- Franc Zabkar

    Looks like I misunderstood the fix. The problem is most likely some
    other part, not U12. The site was down last time I looked, but now
    that I can see the PCB, it looks like U12, the SDRAM (U3) and possibly
    the uP (U5) were the only survivors. The OP obtained a replacement PCB
    from a different model in the same series and got it to work by
    swapping U12. I suspect that the code in U12 distinguishes the model.
    It is probably responsible for the "WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03" ID
    string.

    - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:svnha41kb6e230iqo3bvjan4q9a98v4hkq@4ax.com
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:01:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), rahejasuresh@gmail.com put
    > > finger to keyboard and composed:
    > >
    > > > My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
    > > > boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
    > > > delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
    > > > it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
    > > > the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    > > > identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".
    > > >
    > > > Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    > > > Western digital website does not even list it.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >
    > > > Suresh

    > > This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:
    > >
    > > http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html

    http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera

    > > - Franc Zabkar

    > Looks like I misunderstood the fix.

    Yes Franc, that can happen when you are aspiring to become the new Babblebot.

    > The problem is most likely some
    > other part, not U12. The site was down last time I looked, but now
    > that I can see the PCB, it looks like U12, the SDRAM (U3) and possibly
    > the uP (U5) were the only survivors. The OP obtained a replacement PCB
    > from a different model in the same series and got it to work by
    > swapping U12.

    > *I suspect* that the code in U12 distinguishes the model.

    > *It is probably* responsible for the "WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03" ID
    > string.

    In other words, you don't have the nearest clue, have you, Franc.

    > - Franc Zabkar

  9. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:01:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), rahejasuresh@gmail.com put
    >>finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >>>My 250 gb drive has died. Windows no longer sees it at all. During
    >>>boot I hear 3 repeating beeps (long-short-long), prior to boot. It
    >>>delays boot process by about a minute. Smart has been enabled now, but
    >>>it finds nothing. Weirdest thing is that IDE detection no longer shows
    >>>the drive model, but it now identifies the drive with the following
    >>>identification string " WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03".
    >>>
    >>>Searched google, other people have seen it but no solution so far.
    >>>Western digital website does not even list it.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>
    >>>Suresh

    >>This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:
    >>
    >>http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html
    >>http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera
    >>
    >>- Franc Zabkar

    > Looks like I misunderstood the fix. The problem is most likely some
    > other part, not U12. The site was down last time I looked, but now
    > that I can see the PCB, it looks like U12, the SDRAM (U3) and possibly
    > the uP (U5) were the only survivors. The OP obtained a replacement PCB
    > from a different model in the same series and got it to work by
    > swapping U12. I suspect that the code in U12 distinguishes the model.
    > It is probably responsible for the "WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03" ID
    > string.

    If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
    SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
    soldering tools.

    Arno

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

  10. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weirdboot msg

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:
    >
    > http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html
    > http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera

    I see, well that's a bit more complicated than I was hoping for, but I'm
    glad somebody found a solution.

    So it's looking like it's probably a really common problem then? That's
    considering someone had two dead WD drives lying around to even try a
    brain transplant surgery like this?

  11. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6gthscFhco4gU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:01:55 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    > > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), rahejasuresh@gmail.com put
    > > > finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > This person's solution was to replace the ROM chip at U12:

    http://forum.hddguru.com/hard-disk-d...age-t9234.html

    http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...5&client=opera

    > > > - Franc Zabkar

    > > Looks like I misunderstood the fix. The problem is most likely some
    > > other part, not U12. The site was down last time I looked, but now
    > > that I can see the PCB, it looks like U12, the SDRAM (U3) and possibly
    > > the uP (U5) were the only survivors. The OP obtained a replacement PCB
    > > from a different model in the same series and got it to work by
    > > swapping U12. I suspect that the code in U12 distinguishes the model.
    > > It is probably responsible for the "WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK 0.2.01C03" ID
    > > string.

    > *If *

    Another freakin' expert.

    > U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity.

    And if not, Babblebot?

    > While swapping
    > SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
    > soldering tools.
    >
    > Arno
    >
    > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > --
    > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

  12. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
    >SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
    >soldering tools.
    >
    >Arno

    When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
    excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
    forum managed to get by with the same.

    - Franc Zabkar

  13. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    > to keyboard and composed:

    >>If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
    >>SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
    >>soldering tools.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
    > excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
    > forum managed to get by with the same.

    Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
    is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    Arno

  14. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On 18 Aug 2008 15:13:16 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    > > to keyboard and composed:

    > > > If U12 is the ROM, then it holds the identity. While swapping
    > > > SMD chips is possible, it requires a lot of experience and SMD
    > > > soldering tools.
    > > >
    > > > Arno

    > > When I was younger and had much better eyesight, I used to do an
    > > excellent job with just a fine tipped soldering iron. The OP in that
    > > forum managed to get by with the same.

    > Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    > With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    > standard soldering iron.

    > However the risk of breaking off pins is pretty high,

    > as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    Utter bull, as expected from the Babblebot.

    > Arno

  15. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    In article <6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    writes

    >Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    >With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    >standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
    >is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
    falls off cleanly.

  16. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    > In article <6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    > writes

    >>Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    >>With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    >>standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
    >>is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    > Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
    > falls off cleanly.

    Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

    Arno

  17. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h2g7fFi7ebeU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    > > In article <6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    > > writes

    > > > Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    > > > With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    > > > standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
    > > > is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    > > Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board.

    > > Turn board over,

    > part falls off cleanly.

    Yeah right.
    Parts are glued on to the board when it's populated with parts,
    before soldering, so they don't flow away when bath soldered.

    > Risky with the typical thermal contraints.

    It only falls off when the glue and tin have evaporated.
    Guess what else has.

    > May work though.

    Guess again, Babblemouth.

    > Arno

  18. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    In article <6h2g7fFi7ebeU2@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    writes

    >Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

    There's no "may". It's a common technique.

  19. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    On 20 Aug 2008 12:15:43 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    >> In article <6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    >> writes

    >>>Soldering in, yes. But it is neraly impossible to de-solder these.
    >>>With a lot of patience, even that could be feasible with good
    >>>standard soldering iron. However the risk of breaking off pins
    >>>is pretty high, as you will have to de-solder them individually.

    >> Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
    >> falls off cleanly.

    >Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.
    >
    >Arno

    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Practic...o_rows_of_pins

    - Franc Zabkar

  20. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    > In article <6h2g7fFi7ebeU2@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    > writes

    >>Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.

    > There's no "may". It's a common technique.

    Oh, the chip will fall off. But with constrainst like
    "max 280C for 10 secs", no telling what thermal damage it
    will sustain in the hands of somebody that does not have
    a lot of experience with this and can do it fast.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast