Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird bootmsg - Storage

This is a discussion on Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird bootmsg - Storage ; Franc Zabkar wrote in news:bjvoa4t1lm6bpeolp8gvlqcfd6mdumku2c@4ax.com > On 20 Aug 2008 12:15:43 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to keyboard and composed: > > Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote: > > > In article 6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net >, Arno Wagner writes > > > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:bjvoa4t1lm6bpeolp8gvlqcfd6mdumku2c@4ax.com
    > On 20 Aug 2008 12:15:43 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > > Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    > > > In article 6h035sFi300dU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner writes

    > > > Blowtorch or hot air gun on other side of board. Turn board over, part
    > > > falls off cleanly.

    > > Risky with the typical thermal contraints. May work though.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Practic...o_rows_of_pins

    That's what I do, with a twist.

    I do it one row at a time, prying the legs up by sliding a miniature
    screw driver under the chip between body and legs and jack it up.
    Then I do the other side that then just slides off.
    That's the quickest and least stressful way, temperature wise.

    > - Franc Zabkar

  2. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    In article <6h3gonFifgibU3@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner
    writes

    >Oh, the chip will fall off. But with constrainst like
    >"max 280C for 10 secs", no telling what thermal damage it
    >will sustain in the hands of somebody that does not have
    >a lot of experience with this and can do it fast.

    Hence applying heat to the *back* of the board, not to the part
    directly...

    --
    (\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
    (='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

  3. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Squeeze wrote:

    >Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h2g7fFi7ebeU2@mid.individual.net
    >> Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Turn board over,

    >> part falls off cleanly.

    >Yeah right.
    >Parts are glued on to the board when it's populated with parts,
    >before soldering, so they don't flow away when bath soldered.

    Who says they were "bath soldered"? With a single-sided board,
    there's no reason to glue components down.

  4. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously chrisv wrote:
    > Squeeze wrote:

    >>Arno Wagner wrote in news:6h2g7fFi7ebeU2@mid.individual.net

    >>> part falls off cleanly.

    >>Yeah right.
    >>Parts are glued on to the board when it's populated with parts,
    >>before soldering, so they don't flow away when bath soldered.

    > Who says they were "bath soldered"? With a single-sided board,
    > there's no reason to glue components down.

    Most are IR-Soldered today anf are initially clude into place
    with the solder+flux paste. As they do not move by themselves
    and melting the solder actually (weakly) pulls them into place
    even more, I believe extra glueing is not used anymore in most
    processes. Anyways I have not encounterd it for some time and
    I just revcently modified a soundcard which involved de-soldering
    some components (no chips though).

    Arno

  5. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >chrisv wrote:
    >> Squeeze wrote:
    >>>Yeah right.
    >>>Parts are glued on to the board when it's populated with parts,
    >>>before soldering, so they don't flow away when bath soldered.

    >> Who says they were "bath soldered"? With a single-sided board,
    >> there's no reason to glue components down.

    >Most are IR-Soldered today anf are initially clude into place
    >with the solder+flux paste.

    What is "clude"?

    Certainly it cannot be said that they are "glued" into place, even if
    the paste is somewhat tacky.

    >As they do not move by themselves
    >and melting the solder actually (weakly) pulls them into place
    >even more, I believe extra glueing is not used anymore in most
    >processes.

    Only for components on the bottom-side, if any, so they don't fall
    off.

  6. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously chrisv wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>chrisv wrote:

    >>> Who says they were "bath soldered"? With a single-sided board,
    >>> there's no reason to glue components down.

    >>Most are IR-Soldered today anf are initially clude into place
    >>with the solder+flux paste.

    > What is "clude"?

    > Certainly it cannot be said that they are "glued" into place, even if
    > the paste is somewhat tacky.

    They are actually glued into place with the solderin paste.
    It is designed for that.

    >>As they do not move by themselves
    >>and melting the solder actually (weakly) pulls them into place
    >>even more, I believe extra glueing is not used anymore in most
    >>processes.

    > Only for components on the bottom-side, if any, so they don't fall
    > off.

    Done on both sides. You do not solder them simultaneously and
    with IR soldering, one side stays cool enough so soldering on the
    other side is not an issue.

    Arno

  7. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> Only for components on the bottom-side, if any, so they don't fall
    >> off.

    >Done on both sides.

    Wrong, in general.

  8. Re: Western digital 250 gb drive no longer seen in windows, weird boot msg

    Previously chrisv wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Only for components on the bottom-side, if any, so they don't fall
    >>> off.

    >>Done on both sides.

    > Wrong, in general.

    Well, of course. But correct for this type of mounting.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2