Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive - Storage

This is a discussion on Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive - Storage ; Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0 harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0 harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests that can be ...

  1. Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0
    harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0
    harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests
    that can be run to determine the actual speed? I have it connected to
    a USB2 port and am running WinXP SP3.

    Thanks
    Charliec
    Charliec

  2. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Previously Charliec wrote:
    > Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0
    > harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0
    > harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests
    > that can be run to determine the actual speed? I have it connected to
    > a USB2 port and am running WinXP SP3.

    > Thanks
    > Charliec
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    There is no "s[eed" of a HDD. There are different parameters,
    like access time, thoughput, latency, etc.. Use any standard
    HDD benchmark tool to determine them. For a very rough
    thorighput estimatin you can also copy a large file to or
    from the drive. BTW, throughputs around 25MB/s are quite
    normal for USB2.0 HDDs.

    Arno

  3. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    >On 11 Aug 2008 20:14:45 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously Charliec wrote:
    >> Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0
    >> harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0
    >> harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests
    >> that can be run to determine the actual speed? I have it connected to
    >> a USB2 port and am running WinXP SP3.

    >> Thanks
    >> Charliec
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >> Charliec

    >There is no "s[eed" of a HDD. There are different parameters,
    >like access time, thoughput, latency, etc.. Use any standard
    >HDD benchmark tool to determine them. For a very rough
    >thorighput estimatin you can also copy a large file to or
    >from the drive. BTW, throughputs around 25MB/s are quite
    >normal for USB2.0 HDDs.
    >
    >Arno

    Arno/Victor,

    I ran HD Tune as Victor suggested and the results are below:

    HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark

    Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec
    Access Time : 13.2 ms
    Burst Rate : 24.9 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 19.6%

    HD Tune: ST3120026AS Benchmark

    Transfer Rate Minimum : 29.0 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 55.9 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 44.0 MB/sec
    Access Time : 12.7 ms
    Burst Rate : 68.8 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : 4.2%

    The transfer rate for the internal drive (2nd one) got progressively
    worst as the test went on, finishing at about 29MB/sec, averaging out
    to about 44 MB/sec - is that normal for an internal harddrive - seemed
    a bit slow to me?

    The external harddrive's speed appear to meet your expectations.

    Any thoughts on the internal harddrive?

    Thanks
    Charlie
    Charliec

  4. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Charliec wrote:

    > The transfer rate for the internal drive (2nd one) got progressively
    > worst as the test went on, finishing at about 29MB/sec, averaging out
    > to about 44 MB/sec - is that normal for an internal harddrive - seemed
    > a bit slow to me?

    It starts at the outside where the speed past the head is fastest, and
    works to the inside where it is slowest. Due to constant rpm.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  5. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Charliec wrote:
    > HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark
    >
    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec

    The HD is faster but is limited by USB.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  6. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Previously Charliec wrote:
    >>On 11 Aug 2008 20:14:45 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>Previously Charliec wrote:
    >>> Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0
    >>> harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0
    >>> harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests
    >>> that can be run to determine the actual speed? I have it connected to
    >>> a USB2 port and am running WinXP SP3.

    >>> Thanks
    >>> Charliec
    >>> ************************************************** ****
    >>> Charliec

    >>There is no "s[eed" of a HDD. There are different parameters,
    >>like access time, thoughput, latency, etc.. Use any standard
    >>HDD benchmark tool to determine them. For a very rough
    >>thorighput estimatin you can also copy a large file to or
    >>from the drive. BTW, throughputs around 25MB/s are quite
    >>normal for USB2.0 HDDs.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > Arno/Victor,

    > I ran HD Tune as Victor suggested and the results are below:

    > HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark

    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec
    > Access Time : 13.2 ms
    > Burst Rate : 24.9 MB/sec
    > CPU Usage : 19.6%

    Looks normal/

    > HD Tune: ST3120026AS Benchmark

    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 29.0 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 55.9 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average : 44.0 MB/sec
    > Access Time : 12.7 ms
    > Burst Rate : 68.8 MB/sec
    > CPU Usage : 4.2%

    Also looks normal.

    > The transfer rate for the internal drive (2nd one) got progressively
    > worst as the test went on, finishing at about 29MB/sec, averaging out
    > to about 44 MB/sec - is that normal for an internal harddrive - seemed
    > a bit slow to me?

    The slow-down is a result of ZBR (Zone Bit Recording), that
    packs less bits into the shorter tracks closer to the center of
    the disk.

    > The external harddrive's speed appear to meet your expectations.

    > Any thoughts on the internal harddrive?

    Looks fine. The disk is a bit older after all.

    Arno

  7. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    >n Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:47:35 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    >Charliec wrote:
    >> HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark
    >>
    >> Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    >> Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    >> Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec

    >The HD is faster but is limited by USB.

    I don't understand this? What do you mean? What does this have to do
    with the internal harddrive, or am I mis-relating your answer?
    Charliec

  8. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Charliec wrote:
    >> n Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:47:35 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    >> Charliec wrote:
    >>> HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark
    >>>
    >>> Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    >>> Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    >>> Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec

    >> The HD is faster but is limited by USB.

    > I don't understand this? What do you mean? What does this have to do
    > with the internal harddrive, or am I mis-relating your answer?
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    Let's say the HD does 50 MB/sec at the outside (beginning) and 35 at the
    inside. But the USB connection is doing 31 MB/sec. Then all you can get
    is 31 MB/sec. because all the data is going through the USB. The HD
    never gets up to its full speed.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  9. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    > Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:54:29 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    >Charliec wrote:
    >>> n Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:47:35 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

    >>> The HD is faster but is limited by USB.

    >> I don't understand this? What do you mean? What does this have to do
    >> with the internal harddrive, or am I mis-relating your answer?
    >> ************************************************** ****
    >> Charliec

    >Let's say the HD does 50 MB/sec at the outside (beginning) and 35 at the
    >inside. But the USB connection is doing 31 MB/sec. Then all you can get
    >is 31 MB/sec. because all the data is going through the USB. The HD
    >never gets up to its full speed.

    When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    through the program by itself. After that has finished, I run the
    program again on the internal harddrive. I don't understand how the
    limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    the internal harddrive on these tests.

    What am I missing?
    Charliec

  10. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Previously Charliec wrote:

    >>> I don't understand this? What do you mean? What does this have to do
    >>> with the internal harddrive, or am I mis-relating your answer?
    >>> ************************************************** ****
    >>> Charliec

    >>Let's say the HD does 50 MB/sec at the outside (beginning) and 35 at the
    >>inside. But the USB connection is doing 31 MB/sec. Then all you can get
    >>is 31 MB/sec. because all the data is going through the USB. The HD
    >>never gets up to its full speed.

    > When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    > through the program by itself. After that has finished, I run the
    > program again on the internal harddrive. I don't understand how the
    > limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    > the internal harddrive on these tests.

    > What am I missing?
    > ************************************************** ****
    > Charliec

    Ed is just explaining that the limiting factors for the external
    and the internal drive are different. No connection between the
    performance of the two.

    Arno

  11. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Charliec wrote:

    > When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    > through the program by itself. After that has finished, I run the
    > program again on the internal harddrive. I don't understand how the
    > limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    > the internal harddrive on these tests.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    Sorry, I meant the HD within the USB enclosure has more speed than the
    USB connection can use.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  12. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    On Aug 12, 4:47*am, Ed Light wrote:
    > Charliec wrote:
    > > When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    > > through the program by itself. *After that has finished, I run the
    > > program again on the internal harddrive. *I don't understand how the
    > > limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    > > the internal harddrive on these tests.

    > > What am I missing?

    > Sorry, I meant the HD within the USB enclosure has more speed than the
    > USB connection can use.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com
    >
    > Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com
    >
    > Iraq Veterans Against the War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > s...@uce.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

    Have you set the drive for Performance, rather than Quick removal.
    (Under drive properties)

    For a FAT formatted drive, this difference is significant, less so for
    NTFS

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  13. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in news:b9b816af-f6b6-4b31-a981-0587de011843@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com
    > On Aug 12, 4:47 am, Ed Light wrote:
    > > Charliec wrote:
    > > > When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    > > > through the program by itself. After that has finished, I run the
    > > > program again on the internal harddrive. I don't understand how the
    > > > limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    > > > the internal harddrive on these tests.

    > > > What am I missing?

    > > Sorry, I meant the HD within the USB enclosure has more speed than the
    > > USB connection can use.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ed Light
    > >
    > > Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com
    > >
    > > Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com
    > >
    > > Iraq Veterans Against the War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org
    > >
    > > Send spam to the FTC at
    > > s...@uce.gov
    > > Thanks, robots.

    > Have you set the drive for Performance, rather than Quick removal.
    > (Under drive properties)
    >
    > For a FAT formatted drive, this difference is significant, less so for
    > NTFS
    >
    > Michael
    > www.cnwrecovery.com

    Do you really have to repeat that troll's spam?

  14. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    Charliec wrote in news:05f1a4dsuaip7ib5dv3qfodl8n150qt77l@4ax.com
    > > On 11 Aug 2008 20:14:45 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Charliec wrote:
    > > > Is there a way (method) to test the actual speed of an external USB2.0
    > > > harddrive. I just installed a Western Digital external USB2.0
    > > > harddrive and, at times, it appears to be a bit slow. Are there tests
    > > > that can be run to determine the actual speed? I have it connected to
    > > > a USB2 port and am running WinXP SP3.

    > > > Thanks
    > > > Charliec

    > > There is no "s[eed" of a HDD. There are different parameters,
    > > like access time, thoughput, latency, etc.. Use any standard
    > > HDD benchmark tool to determine them. For a very rough
    > > thorighput estimatin you can also copy a large file to or
    > > from the drive. BTW, throughputs around 25MB/s are quite
    > > normal for USB2.0 HDDs.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > Arno/Victor,

    > I ran HD Tune as Victor

    Who is Victor.

    > suggested and the results are below:
    >
    > HD Tune: WD 3200AVJ External Benchmark
    >
    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 30.1 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.8 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average : 30.6 MB/sec
    > Access Time : 13.2 ms
    > Burst Rate : 24.9 MB/sec
    > CPU Usage : 19.6%
    >
    > HD Tune: ST3120026AS Benchmark
    >
    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 29.0 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 55.9 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average : 44.0 MB/sec
    > Access Time : 12.7 ms
    > Burst Rate : 68.8 MB/sec
    > CPU Usage : 4.2%
    >
    > The transfer rate for the internal drive (2nd one) got progressively
    > worst as the test went on, finishing at about 29MB/sec, averaging out
    > to about 44 MB/sec - is that normal for an internal harddrive -

    > seemed a bit slow to me?

    Why is that exactly.
    What should it be and how doesn't that meet your expectation.

    > The external harddrive's speed appear to meet your expectations.
    >
    > Any thoughts on the internal harddrive?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Charlie

  15. Re: Testing Speed of USB2 External Harddrive

    >On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:16:47 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgrove@aol.com" wrote:

    >On Aug 12, 4:47*am, Ed Light wrote:
    >> Charliec wrote:
    >> > When the tests are run via HD Tune, the external USB drive is run
    >> > through the program by itself. *After that has finished, I run the
    >> > program again on the internal harddrive. *I don't understand how the
    >> > limitations of the external USB drive could impact the through-put on
    >> > the internal harddrive on these tests.

    >> > What am I missing?

    >> Sorry, I meant the HD within the USB enclosure has more speed than the
    >> USB connection can use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ed Light
    >>
    >> Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com
    >>
    >> Bring the Troops Home:http://bringthemhomenow.orghttp://antiwar.com
    >>
    >> Iraq Veterans Against the War:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresist.org
    >>
    >> Send spam to the FTC at
    >> s...@uce.gov
    >> Thanks, robots.

    >Have you set the drive for Performance, rather than Quick removal.
    >(Under drive properties)
    >
    >For a FAT formatted drive, this difference is significant, less so for
    >NTFS
    >
    >Michael
    >www.cnwrecovery.com

    Ok, Michael,
    I set it for Performance, it was set for Quick Removal. Let's see
    what happens.

    Thanks
    Charliec
    Charliec