iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot - Storage ; I'm using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator on Windows 2003 Server connecting to an iSCSI target on Ubuntu. We had to reboot the iSCSI target, and of course the drive letter for it on the 2003 server disappeared (like removing the ...

  1. iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot

    I'm using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator on Windows 2003 Server
    connecting to an iSCSI target on Ubuntu. We had to reboot the iSCSI
    target, and of course the drive letter for it on the 2003 server
    disappeared (like removing the disk). I went into Disk Administrator
    to check on the drive and it asked me to Initialize the disk again. I
    did that (which may have been my mistake) and now the disk is
    "unallocated" only allowing me to repartition it.

    I doubt the data is gone, but is there a way to restore the situation
    to the way it was before so the drive just shows up as the F: drive
    again? Should I recreate the iSCSI connection from scratch?

    Thanks for any tips.

  2. Re: iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot

    Once you "initialize" the disk, you've essentially rendered it unusable
    until you partition it. That was a mistake.

    The only way I know how to recover this disk is to use a 3rd party
    partition manager and recreate your partitions exactly as they were
    previously.

    You're data should be accessible at this point if the partitions are
    exactly the same.

    Good luck.

    lymond01 wrote:
    > I'm using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator on Windows 2003 Server
    > connecting to an iSCSI target on Ubuntu. We had to reboot the iSCSI
    > target, and of course the drive letter for it on the 2003 server
    > disappeared (like removing the disk). I went into Disk Administrator
    > to check on the drive and it asked me to Initialize the disk again. I
    > did that (which may have been my mistake) and now the disk is
    > "unallocated" only allowing me to repartition it.
    >
    > I doubt the data is gone, but is there a way to restore the situation
    > to the way it was before so the drive just shows up as the F: drive
    > again? Should I recreate the iSCSI connection from scratch?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

  3. Re: iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot

    Turns out that unexpected iSCSI disconnects have the effect of yanking
    a live drive -- multiple results could occur. In our case, the
    partition table was corrupted and Windows saw the iSCSI target as a
    fresh drive (or at least unreadable so it just wanted to format it).
    Using Active Partition Recovery (http://www.partition-recovery.com/)
    fixed the drive in a couple seconds. Back to normal.

    So, the order things should happen:

    1) Use MS iSCSI initiator and log off the iSCSI target, or simply down
    the Windows host server.
    2) THEN do whatever you need to do with the iSCSI target.

  4. Re: iSCSI unallocated disk after reboot

    > Turns out that unexpected iSCSI disconnects have the effect of yanking
    > a live drive -- multiple results could occur.

    That is what I would expect, did you expect anything else ?

+ Reply to Thread