startup disk question - Storage

This is a discussion on startup disk question - Storage ; Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive with OS X installed on it. Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since ...

  1. startup disk question

    Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive
    with OS X installed on it. Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac
    - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since the eMac of late
    2004. Is there a keyboard letter that I have to hold down while
    starting up to get the system to recognize the drive or will it
    automatically show up as a selection that I can choose from which drive
    - the internal Macintosh HD or the external drive - to startup from?

  2. Re: startup disk question

    On Aug 6, 1:17*pm, techq wrote:
    > Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive
    > with OS X installed on it. *Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac
    > - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since the eMac of late
    > 2004. *Is there a keyboard letter that I have to hold down while
    > starting up to get the system to recognize the drive or will it
    > automatically show up as a selection that I can choose from which drive
    > - the internal Macintosh HD or the external drive - to startup from?

    Making sure the disk is attached to your Mac, start up the computer
    while holding down the "option" key. A list of potential startup disks
    should appear.

    Warning, you cannot start an Intel Mac with a PPC startup disk, or
    vice versa. Also, the OS has to be able to support the computer you
    are using (e.g. don't use a Leopard disk to start up a G3).
    HTH
    --
    Dave Fritzinger
    Honolulu, HI

  3. Re: startup disk question

    In article <48519$489a31b9$27188@news.teranews.com>,
    techq wrote:

    > Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive
    > with OS X installed on it. Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac
    > - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since the eMac of late
    > 2004. Is there a keyboard letter that I have to hold down while
    > starting up to get the system to recognize the drive or will it
    > automatically show up as a selection that I can choose from which drive
    > - the internal Macintosh HD or the external drive - to startup from?

    Hold down the Option key. That will bring up a list of all disks
    currently available to start up from.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  4. Re: startup disk question

    In article
    ,
    Dave Fritzinger wrote:

    > > Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive
    > > with OS X installed on it. *Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac
    > > - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since the eMac of late
    > > 2004. *Is there a keyboard letter that I have to hold down while
    > > starting up to get the system to recognize the drive or will it
    > > automatically show up as a selection that I can choose from which drive
    > > - the internal Macintosh HD or the external drive - to startup from?

    > Making sure the disk is attached to your Mac, start up the computer
    > while holding down the "option" key. A list of potential startup disks
    > should appear.

    alternately, select the external drive in the startup disk system
    preference panel, and then just reboot normally.

    > Warning, you cannot start an Intel Mac with a PPC startup disk, or
    > vice versa.

    actually, leopard is universal and can boot both if the drive has an
    apm partition map.

    > Also, the OS has to be able to support the computer you
    > are using (e.g. don't use a Leopard disk to start up a G3).

    that's true.

  5. Re: startup disk question

    In article <060820082118161220%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
    nospam wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Dave Fritzinger wrote:
    >
    > > > Say that I have an external firewire drive or an external hard drive
    > > > with OS X installed on it. *Say I plug that drive in and startup the Mac
    > > > - regardless of which one - lets say, any one since the eMac of late
    > > > 2004. *Is there a keyboard letter that I have to hold down while
    > > > starting up to get the system to recognize the drive or will it
    > > > automatically show up as a selection that I can choose from which drive
    > > > - the internal Macintosh HD or the external drive - to startup from?

    > > Making sure the disk is attached to your Mac, start up the computer
    > > while holding down the "option" key. A list of potential startup disks
    > > should appear.

    > alternately, select the external drive in the startup disk system
    > preference panel, and then just reboot normally.
    >
    > > Warning, you cannot start an Intel Mac with a PPC startup disk, or
    > > vice versa.

    > actually, leopard is universal and can boot both if the drive has an
    > apm partition map.
    >
    > > Also, the OS has to be able to support the computer you
    > > are using (e.g. don't use a Leopard disk to start up a G3).

    > that's true.

    Thanks to Alan, Dave and nospam for your replies.

    techq

+ Reply to Thread