NTFS file record segment errors - Storage

This is a discussion on NTFS file record segment errors - Storage ; I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer. It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD. It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then ...

  1. NTFS file record segment errors

    I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.

    It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    all access.

    I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    25 entries of errors.

    I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.

    I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    either -it is trying to talk to the HD.

    Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    warranty the only good thing.

    thx

  2. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    bill@love.ranch wrote:
    > I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.
    >
    > It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    > It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    > all access.
    >
    > I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    > can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    > XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    > thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    > 25 entries of errors.
    >
    > I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    > on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    > releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.
    >
    > I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    > either -it is trying to talk to the HD.
    >
    > Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    > drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    > warranty the only good thing.

    You could try booting a knoppix CD and seeing if it can get the files off.

  3. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    Previously bill@love.ranch wrote:
    > I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.

    > It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    > It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    > all access.

    > I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    > can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    > XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    > thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    > 25 entries of errors.

    > I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    > on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    > releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.

    > I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    > either -it is trying to talk to the HD.

    > Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    > drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    > warranty the only good thing.

    > thx

    You can let it in the USB enclosure and hot-plug it. Then it
    will not block the boot. Forget about SpinRite though, it assumes
    HDD technology that was old 10 years ago.

    Arno

  4. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    Tried Knoppix, Litrux, and Lindows.
    nothing will boot. - they try but........
    actually, I don't think they will boot without the drive connected.

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:32:50 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >bill@love.ranch wrote:
    >> I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.
    >>
    >> It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    >> It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    >> all access.
    >>
    >> I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    >> can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    >> XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    >> thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    >> 25 entries of errors.
    >>
    >> I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    >> on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    >> releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.
    >>
    >> I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    >> either -it is trying to talk to the HD.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    >> drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    >> warranty the only good thing.

    >You could try booting a knoppix CD and seeing if it can get the files off.

  5. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    Your right, it won't block the boot, but it won't be recognized either
    because the USB controller can't talk to it either.

    That is why I took it out of the enclosure to begin with.

    On 6 Aug 2008 03:47:20 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously bill@love.ranch wrote:
    >> I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.

    >> It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    >> It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    >> all access.

    >> I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    >> can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    >> XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    >> thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    >> 25 entries of errors.

    >> I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    >> on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    >> releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.

    >> I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    >> either -it is trying to talk to the HD.

    >> Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    >> drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    >> warranty the only good thing.

    >> thx

    >You can let it in the USB enclosure and hot-plug it. Then it
    >will not block the boot. Forget about SpinRite though, it assumes
    >HDD technology that was old 10 years ago.
    >
    >Arno

  6. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    Previously bill@love.ranch wrote:
    > Your right, it won't block the boot, but it won't be recognized either
    > because the USB controller can't talk to it either.

    > That is why I took it out of the enclosure to begin with.

    Aha. In that case professional data recovery is your only hope.

    Arno

    > On 6 Aug 2008 03:47:20 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>Previously bill@love.ranch wrote:
    >>> I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.

    >>> It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    >>> It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    >>> all access.

    >>> I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    >>> can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    >>> XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    >>> thru 76325 where I stopped it(about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    >>> 25 entries of errors.

    >>> I did managed to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log
    >>> on) but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    >>> releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.

    >>> I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    >>> either -it is trying to talk to the HD.

    >>> Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    >>> drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it? - it is in
    >>> warranty the only good thing.

    >>> thx

    >>You can let it in the USB enclosure and hot-plug it. Then it
    >>will not block the boot. Forget about SpinRite though, it assumes
    >>HDD technology that was old 10 years ago.
    >>
    >>Arno

  7. Re: NTFS file record segment errors

    bill@love.ranch wrote in news:vdqh949tbb7se1odg9nei7cvrh3lpd6b9l@4ax.com

    > I have a hard drive that just went south for the summer.

    So wait out the summer.

    > It was an external USB drive (Beyond Micro) with a 500GB WD Caviar HD.
    > It wouldn't sign on as a USB drive, made a lot of attemps then stopped
    > all access.
    >
    > I put it into the system (IDE) and I just hung the system because it
    > can't read many of the file record segments.when it tries to boot into
    > XP it goes to chkdsk and tries to analyze it but starting at 69112 up
    > thru 76325 where I stopped it (about 100GB out of 145GB) it has about
    > 25 entries of errors.
    >
    > I did manage to get a few files off of it the first time (it did log on)
    > but now it won't log in at all and the system hangs for 30 sec the
    > releases for 5 sec. repeatedly.
    >
    > I can't run any DOS programs like Spinrite because DOS won't boot
    > either -it is trying to talk to the HD.

    See if you can run a diagnostic on it that can recognize the drive without
    BIOS for it enabled. Without BIOS, DOS won't see it but so won't any
    diagnostics that use BIOS for access.

    > Is there any way I can get something to copy these files to another
    > drive so I can get them of the drive before I return it?

    Most if not all will use some sort of OS.
    It should be some standalone (operatingsystemless) bootable app.

    > - it is in warranty the only good thing.
    >
    > thx

+ Reply to Thread