Which hardware to choose for data-exchange between OSX/Windows/Linux - Storage

This is a discussion on Which hardware to choose for data-exchange between OSX/Windows/Linux - Storage ; Hello! Which hardware should be best for an external harddisk which has to be useable on all mentioned OS's? Which interface (USB or firewire)? NTFS, HFS+, FAT32 or whatever? Thanks!...

  1. Which hardware to choose for data-exchange between OSX/Windows/Linux

    Hello!

    Which hardware should be best for an external harddisk which has to be
    useable on all mentioned OS's? Which interface (USB or firewire)? NTFS,
    HFS+, FAT32 or whatever?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Which hardware to choose for data-exchange between OSX/Windows/Linux

    In article ,
    "li_123_lo@jubii.de" wrote:

    > Which hardware should be best for an external harddisk which has to be
    > useable on all mentioned OS's? Which interface (USB or firewire)? NTFS,
    > HFS+, FAT32 or whatever?

    Usable how, exactly? What, in particular, do you plan to do with the
    hard drive?

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  3. Re: Which hardware to choose for data-exchange betweenOSX/Windows/Linux

    On 5 Aug, 12:19, "li_123...@jubii.de" wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Which hardware should be best for an external harddisk which has to be
    > useable on all mentioned OS's? Which interface (USB or firewire)? NTFS,
    > HFS+, FAT32 or whatever?
    >
    > Thanks!

    FAT32 is read/read-writable on OS X/Windows/Linux. However it has a
    maximum individual file size limit of 4GB, and if you're formatting
    under Windows it has a maximum disk size of 32GB. Formatting it under
    other OSs will allow a FAT32 partition of practically any size.

    HFS on Windows requires commercial Macdrive software, not sure about
    Linux.
    NTFS write on OS X and Linux requires FUSE software which can be a
    little buggy and isnt' installed as default.

    Another option is Ext3 which can be read on all systems, although
    Windows will need the free extfs software to read it.

    If you want plug and play and no install on host machine, go FAT32.

    Ric

+ Reply to Thread