Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time... - Storage

This is a discussion on Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time... - Storage ; Hi Following a write error on a Hitachi 30GB (2.5") drive I downloaded their drive fitness test software. The quick test found some errors and suggested I run the erase function to fix the errors. I have had the erase ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Hi

    Following a write error on a Hitachi 30GB (2.5") drive I downloaded their
    drive fitness test software.

    The quick test found some errors and suggested I run the erase function to
    fix the errors.

    I have had the erase function (sequential write) running overnight and its
    still running.

    There is no indication how much is left to check or how long it might take.

    Currently its up to LBA: 0x1287D00 19437056

    Does this number refer to segments?

    I just wondered if one of you clever chaps out there may be able to
    determine how many segments there are left to check? I could then estimate
    how long it will take to finish.

    Thanks for your time.

    Ian

  2. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ian R wrote in news:3pudnYF3RMiC2AXVnZ2dnUVZ8tPinZ2d@bt.com
    > Hi
    >
    > Following a write error on a Hitachi 30GB (2.5") drive I downloaded their
    > drive fitness test software.
    >
    > The quick test found some errors and suggested I run the erase function to
    > fix the errors.
    >
    > I have had the erase function (sequential write) running overnight and its
    > still running.

    Sounds like it's doing a good job.

    > There is no indication how much is left to check or how long it might take.
    >
    > Currently its up to LBA: 0x1287D00 19437056

    > Does this number refer to segments?

    Of course it does. What else did you think it was?

    > I just wondered if one of you clever chaps out there may be able to
    > determine how many segments there are left to check? I could then estimate
    > how long it will take to finish.

    And how exactly would that differ in making a decision on whether the
    drive is fit for use?

    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Ian

  3. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ian R wrote:

    > Hi

    Lo

    > Following a write error on a Hitachi 30GB (2.5") drive I downloaded their drive fitness test software.

    > The quick test found some errors and suggested I run the erase function to fix the errors.

    > I have had the erase function (sequential write) running overnight and its still running.

    She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

    > There is no indication how much is left to check or how long it might take.

    > Currently its up to LBA: 0x1287D00 19,437,056

    > Does this number refer to segments?

    Nope, sectors. Called blocks in the LBA acronym.

    > I just wondered if one of you clever chaps out there may be able to
    > determine how many segments there are left to check? I could then
    > estimate how long it will take to finish.

    A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs so you still have a hell of a long way to go.

    She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

    > Thanks for your time.

    Sorrite

  4. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Ian R wrote:
    > Hi

    > Following a write error on a Hitachi 30GB (2.5") drive I downloaded their
    > drive fitness test software.

    > The quick test found some errors and suggested I run the erase function to
    > fix the errors.

    > I have had the erase function (sequential write) running overnight and its
    > still running.

    > There is no indication how much is left to check or how long it might take.

    > Currently its up to LBA: 0x1287D00 19437056

    > Does this number refer to segments?

    LBA = "Linear Block Address". 19437056 is roughly 10GB due to 512 Byte
    block (sector) size.

    > I just wondered if one of you clever chaps out there may be able to
    > determine how many segments there are left to check? I could then estimate
    > how long it will take to finish.

    I would say this drive is slow enough to have some serious sector
    finding issue, as for example damaged mechanics or a damaged head.

    Arno

  5. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 04:22:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs ...

    Nope.

    - Franc Zabkar

  6. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 04:22:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs ...

    > Nope.

    Hehe, nice one.

    Arno

  7. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:amih94hiu3qnad2l5l4kdh8titk4im9d8o@4ax.com
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 04:22:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs ...

    > Nope.

    Well, he did say "roughly".

    But then again a sector is physical and a LBA is logical, so it still would be wrong.

    > - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  9. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Franc Zabkar wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs ...

    > Nope.

    Yep.

  10. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    Lets ses. PIO-0 gives around 2.5MB/s. I assume overnight is
    at least 8 hours. That would give about 45GB, not 10GB.
    The disk has a problem. Even more so as this is
    likely a higher PIO mode. You are correct though that
    DFT was at least traditionally run from a floppy.

    Arno

  11. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:18:58 +0100 "Squeeze" wrote
    in Message id: <4898c7d7$0$13871$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote in news:amih94hiu3qnad2l5l4kdh8titk4im9d8o@4ax.com
    >> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 04:22:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    >> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >> > A 30GB drive has roughly 30,000,000,000 sectors or LBAs ...

    >> Nope.

    >Well, he did say "roughly".
    >
    >But then again a sector is physical and a LBA is logical, so it still would be wrong.

    30,000,000,000 sectors is 15,360,000,000,000 bytes (15TB)
    Rod is wrong as usual. (That's why he's in my Bozo-Bin.)

  12. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    > Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

  13. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6fsl23Fd08n9U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    > Lets ses. PIO-0 gives around 2.5MB/s.

    Very close. Babblebot, I'm impressed.

    > I assume overnight is at least 8 hours.

    > That would give about 45GB,

    Uhuh, is that so. Let's see: 8*60*60s*2.5MB/s = 72,000MB = 72GB

    Not that impressed anymore.

    > not 10GB.

    > The disk has a problem.

    > Even more so

    Even more what, Babblebot?

    > as this is likely a higher PIO mode.

    > You are correct though that DFT was at least traditionally run from
    > a floppy.

    Which obviously makes the drive run slower.

    Idjuts.

    > Arno

  14. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Skwees wrote:
    > Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    >
    >> Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    > Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

    Only if it was on a memory stick.

    So, I'm a moron. PLONK.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  15. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ed Light wrote:

    >>> Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    "It" being the HD.

    Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    HD in DMA mode, depending on the specific BIOS.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  16. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > Skwees wrote:
    >> Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    >>
    >>> Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    >> Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

    > Only if it was on a memory stick.

    > So, I'm a moron. PLONK.

    "runs from memory" is only for those that cannot abstract at all.
    Fitting.

    Arno

  17. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Ed Light wrote:

    > "It" being the HD.

    > Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    > HD in DMA mode, depending on the specific BIOS.

    Actually DMA requires chipset drivers in the OS. The BIOS cannot
    do DMA for disks.

    Arno

  18. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:

    >> "It" being the HD.

    >> Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    >> HD in DMA mode, depending on the specific BIOS.

    > Actually DMA requires chipset drivers in the OS. The BIOS cannot
    > do DMA for disks.

    That way, the utility would be lacking the drivers for those BIOS.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  19. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:
    >> Skwees wrote:
    >>> Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    >>> Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

    >> Only if it was on a memory stick.

    >> So, I'm a moron. PLONK.

    > "runs from memory" is only for those that cannot abstract at all.
    > Fitting.

    Thanks, Arno!

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  20. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6fv9dqFdlcp0U2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:

    > > "It" being the HD.

    > > Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    > > HD in DMA mode, depending on the specific BIOS.

    > Actually DMA requires chipset drivers in the OS.
    > The BIOS cannot do DMA for disks.

    Utter clueless nonsense, as always from the Babblebot.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast