Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time... - Storage

This is a discussion on Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time... - Storage ; Ed Light wrote in news:489a4b43$0$18545$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com > Ed (not so bright) Light wrote: > > > > > Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO? > > "It" being the HD. Like that makes any difference. > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ed Light wrote in news:489a4b43$0$18545$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    > "It" being the HD.

    Like that makes any difference.

    > Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    > HD in DMA mode,

    > depending on the specific BIOS.

    That is correct, but it has to be a pretty darn old BIOS, not the BIOS
    that you expect to correctly handle a 30GB drive.

    For any app that uses the BIOS the BIOS will handle the drive in the
    mode that it has been setup in. If that is MWDMA or UDMA that's how
    the BIOS will access it in.
    All the app does is use a BIOS call. The BIOS then uses the appropriate
    read or write command that is appropriate for the mode that the BIOS
    has setup the drive in.

  2. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ed (dim as a bulb) Light wrote in news:489a494e$0$18571$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    > Skwees wrote:
    > > Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    > >
    > > > Maybe it's running from a floppy or CD in PIO?

    > > Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

    > Only if it was on a memory stick.

    Thanks for confirming the utter stupidity of that first statement.

    > So, I'm a moron.

    No question about it.

    > PLONK.

    Yeah, fat lot of good that did you the first time.
    You are so smart, it's frightening.

  3. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Ed Light wrote in news:489a7216$0$5415$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Ed Light wrote:

    > > > "It" being the HD.

    > > > Some utilities running from a CD or floppy don't get the BIOS to run the
    > > > HD in DMA mode, depending on the specific BIOS.

    > > Actually DMA requires chipset drivers in the OS.

    Whereas PIO does not? Babblebot, utterly clueless as always.
    The BIOS has it's own DMA flag.

    > > The BIOS cannot do DMA for disks.

    Mine seems to handle that fine or it would not bench mark my
    harddrive to 15MB/s. I must have a very special one then.

    > That way, the utility would be lacking the drivers for those BIOS.

    There are no (DOS) drivers for IDE controller/diskdrives.
    There are a few though for optical drives.

    Babblebot is a moron.

  4. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Previously Odie wrote:
    > Ed (dim as a bulb) Light wrote in news:489a494e$0$18571$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    >> Skwees wrote:
    >> > Ed Light wrote in news:4898f199$0$18552c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    >> > Utterly clueless moron. DFT runs from memory.

    >> Only if it was on a memory stick.

    > Thanks for confirming the utter stupidity of that first statement.

    >> So, I'm a moron.

    > No question about it.

    >> PLONK.

    > Yeah, fat lot of good that did you the first time.
    > You are so smart, it's frightening.

    Patethic, truely. Having to steal the identity of somebody
    respecte to even get heard....

    Arno

  5. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Odie wrote:
    >> Ed (dim as a bulb) Light wrote in news:489a494e$0$18571$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    >>> Only if it was on a memory stick.

    >> Thanks for confirming the utter stupidity of that first statement.

    >>> So, I'm a moron.

    >> No question about it.

    >>> PLONK.

    >> Yeah, fat lot of good that did you the first time.
    >> You are so smart, it's frightening.

    > Patethic, truely. Having to steal the identity of somebody
    > respecte to even get heard....
    >
    > Arno

    So, Arno, Odie's net name has been stolen by the whatever-he-is?

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  6. Re: Drive Fitness Test - Erase Function is taking a long time...

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6g1l9lFdqgm6U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Odie wrote:
    > > Ed (dim as a bulb) Light wrote in news:489a494e$0$18571$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com

    > > > Only if it was on a memory stick.

    > > Thanks for confirming the utter stupidity of that first statement.

    > > > So, I'm a moron.

    > > No question about it.

    > > > PLONK.

    > > Yeah, fat lot of good that did you the first time.
    > > You are so smart, it's frightening.

    > Patethic, truely.

    What is "Patethic" is you posting at half past 3 in the morning, all boozed up, Babblebot.

    > Having to steal the identity

    Bwahahah.
    Because your name is Arno Wagner no one else can sign with Arno or
    with Wagner? Or if someone else with the true name of Arno Wagner
    has a question here he can't use his real name as a handle just because
    you already use it? Go kiss your own butt, Babblebot.

    On the other hand I could use the handle Duncan and go scot-free since
    he never uses it.

    > of somebody respecte

    Oh, who might that be?
    You aren't referring to that troll Odiferous, are you, Babblebot?
    The flagrant one? That troll doesn't even take itself seriously.

    > to even get heard....

    Like that Ed Dim Light Bulb even knows who Odiferous is.
    Like that I need any specific name to punch through that
    idiots Kill Filter. Or yours.

    Oh wait, that's your real problem, isn't it, Babblebot.
    You're blaming yourself for so eagerly reading Odiferous message, full
    of anticipation, expecting him to lash out at me and it then it wasn't him.
    Big disappointment.
    And now you are mad at yourself and the whole world needs to know it.
    In the middle of the night.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2