Time Machine Wears Out Disks? - Storage

This is a discussion on Time Machine Wears Out Disks? - Storage ; I really love Time Machine, but of the two machines I've been running it on, both have trashed the respective backup HDs. Am I very unlucky, or does Time Machine have more critical requirements on an HD than most apps? ...

  1. Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    I really love Time Machine, but of the two machines I've been running
    it on, both have trashed the respective backup HDs. Am I very
    unlucky, or does Time Machine have more critical requirements on an HD
    than most apps? Of course, it runs every 15 minutes or hour, but I've
    seen similar behavior on both Leopard machines -- the drive begins to
    fail to mount and requires an init or power cycle of some kind to be
    recognized, and eventually won't mount at all. Disk Warrior or Drive
    Utility or TechTool Pro is needed to repair it.

    I had a 500 G Maxtor and a 320 G ADS (don't know the brand of HD
    inside).

    On the Maxtor, at least, I did use it for storing other files as well,
    and was told by an Alsoft tech that that was a bad idea, and that TM
    HDs should be dedicated. Considering the fact that TM is accessed far
    more frequently than those other files, I'm not sure why those files
    should make a difference, and certainly not cause two failures in such
    a short time.

    Any comments or suggestions?

    Mark

  2. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    On 4 Aug, 18:08, gmar...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I really love Time Machine, but of the two machines I've been running
    > it on, both have trashed the respective backup HDs. *Am I very
    > unlucky, or does Time Machine have more critical requirements on an HD
    > than most apps? *Of course, it runs every 15 minutes or hour, but I've
    > seen similar behavior on both Leopard machines -- the drive begins to
    > fail to mount and requires an init or power cycle of some kind to be
    > recognized, and eventually won't mount at all. *Disk Warrior or Drive
    > Utility or TechTool Pro is needed to repair it.
    >
    > I had a 500 G Maxtor and a 320 G ADS (don't know the brand of HD
    > inside).
    >
    > On the Maxtor, at least, I did use it for storing other files as well,
    > and was told by an Alsoft tech that that was a bad idea, and that TM
    > HDs should be dedicated. *Considering the fact that TM is accessed far
    > more frequently than those other files, I'm not sure why those files
    > should make a difference, and certainly not cause two failures in such
    > a short time.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions?
    >
    > Mark

    No. Time Machine *uses* a disk pretty comprehensively, in that it
    writes a lot to it, but any hard disk that fails like this in normal
    operation has a problem: it's not TM.
    Anything in common with the two failures - e.g. were they both using
    the same external enclosure, or plugged into the same mains supply?

    Ric

  3. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    Can TM be set up to backup a non-local drive?

  4. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    In article ,
    David Lesher wrote:

    > Can TM be set up to backup a non-local drive?

    Define "non-local".

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  5. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    In article , David Lesher
    wrote:

    > Can TM be set up to backup a non-local drive?

    sure. it will work with either time capsule or a shared drive from a
    machine running leopard, as well as a drive that's directly attached.
    drives attached to airport extreme base stations are not supported, but
    it supposedly works.

    it's possible to make it work with any network drive (there's a hidden
    preference to toggle), but that is definitely unsupported (and for good
    reasons) and it's not a good idea at all.

  6. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    In article ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > In article ,
    > David Lesher wrote:
    >
    > > Can TM be set up to backup a non-local drive?

    > Define "non-local".

    David replied to me privately, through e-mail:

    > A drive that is mounted in the finder but not directly connected. Say an
    > ftp site, or a MacFUSE volume.

    If you want to back up to an FTP site, you'll have to use an FTP program
    to do it rather than Time Machine.

    MacFUSE supports many different file systems, some of which are
    network-based. I've run MacFUSE just once, to mount a NTFS volume on a
    single Mac over a year ago.

    The way I remember it, MacFUSE allows you to mount volumes with
    supported file systems on your desktop. To Time Machine, a MacFUSE
    volume would therefore appear to be a local volume, even if it was a
    sshfs, ftpfs (read/write FTP), or say a wdfs (WebDAV) volume. I would
    think in this case, Time Machine would be able to use it.

    I am, however, unsure of the ramifications. I'd be cautious relying on
    such a setup for backup purposes, because it is unknown how MacFUSE and
    Time Machine will behave should one of the network volumes become
    unavailable during use. The integrity of backup data is paramount!

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

  7. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    Jolly Roger writes:

    >If you want to back up to an FTP site, you'll have to use an FTP program
    >to do it rather than Time Machine.

    I want to back up FROM a sftp site, such as mounted with MacFuSE/sshfs.
    Yes, it mounts in the Finder.

    The destination is a local [FSVO] drive; likely a Firewire connection.

  8. Re: Time Machine Wears Out Disks?

    In article ,
    David Lesher wrote:

    > Jolly Roger writes:
    >

    > >If you want to back up to an FTP site, you'll have to use an FTP program
    > >to do it rather than Time Machine.

    > I want to back up FROM a sftp site, such as mounted with MacFuSE/sshfs.
    > Yes, it mounts in the Finder.
    >
    > The destination is a local [FSVO] drive; likely a Firewire connection.

    Time Machine backs up TO a destination volume; so you'd be backing up TO
    an sftp site. Not that the direction matters anyway - either way if you
    point Time Machine at the mounted volume, Time Machine will probably use
    it. Again, though, what happens when there is a network hiccup is
    anyone's guess. I feel fairly comfortable saying the integrity of the
    backup data stored on the remote volume will be at significant risk.
    Backups you cannot rely on are useless!

    --
    Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

    JR

+ Reply to Thread