max partition size on usb for winxp - Storage

This is a discussion on max partition size on usb for winxp - Storage ; Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32 partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500 gb ...

  1. max partition size on usb for winxp

    Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

    Thanks,
    IMF

  2. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    Irwin wrote:
    > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

    Do you want another FAT32 partition or NTFS ?

    If you want FAT32, XP wont allow one that big, you
    need to use a third party partitioner to do that with XP.

  3. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    Irwin wrote:
    > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > IMF

    You can make a CD or floppy of bootitng and do the partition. If you
    make an NTFS then you'll have to format it in XP. When the CD/floppy
    starts, cancel install and it will go into maintenance mode.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  4. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    The FAT32 limit on Win 2K/XP is 32GB (for no good reason).
    Use this instead: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

    "Irwin" wrote in message
    > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

  5. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    Previously Irwin wrote:
    > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

    > Thanks,
    > IMF

    This may be an effect of an internal limitation. AFAIK XP
    cannot create FAT32 filesystems larger than 32GB. It can definitely
    use them (I have one 105GB partition formatted with mkdosfs
    from Linux that works fine under XP). So basically you need a
    different tool than the broken ones included in XP. What tool
    you use is a matter of your preference, just make sure it
    can create large FAT32 partitions.

    If you want to try linex, I would advise you to get a knoppix
    CD. Partitioning is with fdisk, filesytem creation with
    mkdosfs. Info on both can be gotten on the commandline
    (CRTL-ALT-1/2/3/4 to get to the 4standard consoles)
    with 'man '.

    Arno

  6. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    On Aug 4, 3:36*am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Irwin wrote:
    > > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?
    > > Thanks,
    > > IMF

    > This may be an effect of an internal limitation. AFAIK XP
    > cannot create FAT32 filesystems larger than 32GB. It can definitely
    > use them (I have one 105GB partition formatted with mkdosfs
    > from Linux that works fine under XP). So basically you need a
    > different tool than the broken ones included in XP. What tool
    > you use is a matter of your preference, just make sure it
    > can create large FAT32 partitions.
    >
    > If you want to try linex, I would advise you to get a knoppix
    > CD. Partitioning is with fdisk, filesytem creation with
    > mkdosfs. Info on both can be gotten on the commandline
    > (CRTL-ALT-1/2/3/4 to get to the 4standard consoles)
    > with 'man '.
    >
    > Arno

    500GB FAT32 does work on XP - and some external drives are actually
    shipped that way. I can confirm that Microsoft has a limit of the
    maximum size you can format in XP and I think 2000 as well. My
    personal guess to that it to encourage use of NTFS

    To convert from NTFS to FAT32 I use a free download

    fat32format.exe

    Unless you really need FAT32 for compatibility, I would stick to NTFS

    If you do use FAT32, make sure you enable the drive for Performance,
    rather than Quick removal under drive properties. When set for quick
    removal, it is painfully slow.

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  7. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    Eric Gisin wrote in news:g773kp$ghs$1@news.mixmin.net
    > The FAT32 limit on Win 2K/XP is 32GB

    > (for no good reason).

    Not that uncommon when it's a bug.

    > Use this instead: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm
    >
    > "Irwin" wrote in message news:7e3a646c-5ef0-4bba-a6a1-7a24a9224845@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    > > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?

  8. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    On Aug 4, 12:52*pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > Eric Gisin wrote innews:g773kp$ghs$1@news.mixmin.net
    >
    > > The FAT32 limit on Win 2K/XP is 32GB
    > > (for no good reason).

    > Not that uncommon when it's a bug.
    >

    > > Use this instead:http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...t32format..htm

    > > "Irwin" wrote in messagenews:7e3a646c-5ef0-4bba-a6a1-7a24a9224845@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    > > > Hello. I bought a WD 500 GB external hard drive with a fat32
    > > > partition. Using the xp manage dialog, I wiped the partition and want
    > > > to put a 250 gb partition. The new partition wizard will allow a 500
    > > > gb partition, but if I click the down arrow, it goes to 18 gb. If I
    > > > type 250 gb, then it puts in 18 gb. Why won't this work?- Hide quotedtext -

    Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
    make.
    I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
    Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
    NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
    250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
    better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
    it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
    did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
    between. I don't get it....

  9. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    On Aug 5, 3:41*am, Irwin wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 12:52*pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >

    > > Eric Gisin wrote innews:g773kp$ghs$1@news.mixmin.net

    > > > The FAT32 limit on Win 2K/XP is 32GB
    > > > (for no good reason).

    > > Not that uncommon when it's a bug.

    > > > Use this instead:http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

    > Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
    > make.
    > I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
    > Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
    > NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
    > 250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
    > better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
    > it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
    > did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
    > between. I don't get it....- Hide quoted text -

    You should have used the microsoft

    convert f: /FS:NTFS

    command

    type convert /? for full instructions

    Michael

  10. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    Irwin wrote in news:f8e081f7-f005-440b-8ca9-d7a035af171d@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com
    > On Aug 4, 12:52 pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > Eric Gisin wrote innews:g773kp$ghs$1@news.mixmin.net
    > >
    > > > The FAT32 limit on Win 2K/XP is 32GB
    > > > (for no good reason).

    > > Not that uncommon when it's a bug.
    > >

    > > > Use this instead:http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

    > Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to
    > make.
    > I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
    > Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
    > NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
    > 250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
    > better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
    > it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
    > did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
    > between.

    > I don't get it....

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define: bug

    1st paragraph, 2nd line

  11. Re: max partition size on usb for winxp

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in news:cfb990e6-3559-4f68-a263-3887bea99788@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com
    > On Aug 5, 3:41 am, Irwin wrote:
    > > On Aug 4, 12:52 pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > > Eric Gisin wrote innews:g773kp$ghs$1@news.mixmin.net

    > > > Not that uncommon when it's a bug.

    > > Thanks everyone. No, it wasn't FAT32, it was NTFS I was trying to make.
    > > I finally just gave up and created two 250 gb partitions with Parted
    > > Magic, one NTFS and one EXT2. Then I went back into XP, deleted the
    > > NTFS partition (which probably would have been fine) and created the
    > > 250 GB partition with XP assuming that an XP NTFS partition would be
    > > better than a Linux NTFS partition (no proof of that, just assuming
    > > it). I did note that if I hit the down arrow in the size box in XP, it
    > > did again drop immediately from 250 GB to 18 GB, with nothing in
    > > between. I don't get it
    > >

    > You should have

    Nonsense.

    > used the microsoft