RAID 0,1,5 ? - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID 0,1,5 ? - Storage ; Hello, is possibile to create simultaneusly one RAID0 and RAID1 ? I would obtain better performance from RAID0 and better security from RAID1. Is better the solution with RAID5 ? Another ask: - when one disk crash in raid0 or ...

  1. RAID 0,1,5 ?

    Hello, is possibile to create simultaneusly one RAID0 and RAID1 ?
    I would obtain better performance from RAID0 and better security from RAID1.
    Is better the solution with RAID5 ?
    Another ask:
    - when one disk crash in raid0 or raid5... what is the method to
    relevate it ?

    thanks

  2. Re: RAID 0,1,5 ?

    sciurospiga wrote:
    > Hello, is possibile to create simultaneusly one RAID0 and RAID1 ?
    > I would obtain better performance from RAID0 and better security from
    > RAID1.
    > Is better the solution with RAID5 ?

    Look into RAID 10:
    http://www.acnc.com/04_01_10.html

    RAID 10 will give you better performance, RAID 5 will give you more
    capacity.

    > Another ask:
    > - when one disk crash in raid0 or raid5... what is the method to
    > relevate it ?

    With RAID 0, your data is essentially gone. With RAID 5 (or 10 or any
    other redundant variety), you should replace the drive asap and the
    array should be able to rebuild itself.

    -WD

  3. Re: RAID 0,1,5 ?

    Will Dormann wrote:
    > sciurospiga wrote:
    >> Hello, is possibile to create simultaneusly one RAID0 and RAID1 ?
    >> I would obtain better performance from RAID0 and better security from
    >> RAID1.
    >> Is better the solution with RAID5 ?

    > Look into RAID 10:
    > http://www.acnc.com/04_01_10.html
    >
    > RAID 10 will give you better performance, RAID 5 will give you more
    > capacity.
    >
    >> Another ask:
    >> - when one disk crash in raid0 or raid5... what is the method to
    >> relevate it ?

    > With RAID 0, your data is essentially gone. With RAID 5 (or 10 or any
    > other redundant variety), you should replace the drive asap and the
    > array should be able to rebuild itself.
    >

    > -WD

    Therefore, in this case, the corrupted data is automatical reconstructed
    or by means a software ?

  4. Re: RAID 0,1,5 ?

    sciurospiga wrote:
    > Will Dormann wrote:
    >> sciurospiga wrote:
    >>> Hello, is possibile to create simultaneusly one RAID0 and RAID1 ?
    >>> I would obtain better performance from RAID0 and better security from
    >>> RAID1.
    >>> Is better the solution with RAID5 ?

    >> Look into RAID 10:
    >> http://www.acnc.com/04_01_10.html
    >>
    >> RAID 10 will give you better performance, RAID 5 will give you more
    >> capacity.
    >>
    >>> Another ask:
    >>> - when one disk crash in raid0 or raid5... what is the method to
    >>> relevate it ?

    >> With RAID 0, your data is essentially gone. With RAID 5 (or 10 or
    >> any other redundant variety), you should replace the drive asap and
    >> the array should be able to rebuild itself.
    >>

    >> -WD

    > Therefore, in this case, the corrupted data is automatical reconstructed
    > or by means a software ?

    It depends entirely on the code that handles your raid subsystem. Some
    do it automatically based on information kept in safe storage. Some you
    have to enter a command.

+ Reply to Thread