WD mybook causes blue screen of death - help please. - Storage

This is a discussion on WD mybook causes blue screen of death - help please. - Storage ; Hi, I'm having problems with my western digital 320 GB my book external hard drive. I had it for about a year, and it worked fine until recently, when I’d get a message in the windows task bar saying something ...

  1. WD mybook causes blue screen of death - help please.

    Hi,

    I'm having problems with my western digital 320 GB my book external
    hard drive.

    I had it for about a year, and it worked fine until recently, when I’d
    get a message in the windows task bar saying something like cannot
    write to g:\ms$ (don't remember exactly what the message was), where g:
    \ is the hd letter. Whenever I’d get this error message the hd would
    stop working, but the laptop would continue working fine. Unplugging
    the power or unhooking the HD from my laptop would not fix the
    problem, only restarting my computer would and whenever I plugged the
    hd back into my laptop I would get the same message after a little
    while.

    Now however I cannot plug my hd into my laptop or start my laptop with
    the hd plugged in without getting a blue screen of death with the
    follow message:

    “A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer

    technical information: STOP: a bunch of gibberish”

    I tried plugging in the HD to another laptop which it had never been
    plugged into before, but got the blue screen of death right away
    again.

    So does anyone have any suggestions? How could I modify my laptop/what
    could i install to prevent this? I have windows xp

    Thanks

  2. Re: WD mybook causes blue screen of death - help please.

    albert.mills@googlemail.com wrote...

    >I tried plugging in the HD to another laptop which it had never been
    >plugged into before, but got the blue screen of death right away
    >again.
    >
    >So does anyone have any suggestions? How could I modify my laptop/what
    >could i install to prevent this? I have windows xp

    Assume you got BSOD's whenever plugging your drive to laptops
    with Windows. So, skip Windows. Boot your laptops with a Knoppox
    CD, then pluggin your HD. If you are lucky enough to avoid BSOD,
    you may then start from there to fix your HD, whatever the fix would
    be (like attempt to retrieve files and then reformat.)

+ Reply to Thread