sata master sata slave - Storage

This is a discussion on sata master sata slave - Storage ; i have conected a sata slave to my nec computer it also has a master slave now windows wont recignise it!! i went through my bios and it is showing as being there any ideas on how to get it ...

  1. sata master sata slave

    i have conected a sata slave to my nec computer it also has a master
    slave now windows wont recignise it!! i went through my bios and it is
    showing as being there any ideas on how to get it into my windows so i
    can save things on it??

  2. Re: sata master sata slave

    Previously bobbiejo wrote:

    > i have conected a sata slave to my nec computer it also has a master
    > slave now windows wont recignise it!! i went through my bios and it is
    > showing as being there any ideas on how to get it into my windows so i
    > can save things on it??

    There are no "SATA slaves". Please find out what you really have.

    Arno

  3. Re: sata master sata slave

    ok i am sorry it was not a slave i was just trying to attach the 2nd
    hard drive it is formatted and i have the sata cable as i said it is in
    dos just not my windows

  4. Re: sata master sata slave

    Previously bobbiejo wrote:

    > ok i am sorry it was not a slave i was just trying to attach the 2nd
    > hard drive it is formatted and i have the sata cable as i said it is in
    > dos just not my windows

    So, waht drive is connectet do what? And what is the observation in
    contrast to what you waht to get?

    Arno

  5. Re: sata master sata slave

    bobbiejo wrote in

    > ok i am sorry it was not a slave i was just trying to attach the 2nd
    > hard drive it is formatted and i have the sata cable as i said it is in
    > dos just not my windows

    It's probably not seen in Windows because it needs to be initialized first.
    You can use 3rd party dos software from Seagate or Samsung to have it do
    that for you or in Windows disk management you should still see the HDD
    even though explorer doesn't. Right click the far left side of the HDD in
    disk management and you should see an option to initialize the disk.

  6. Re: sata master sata slave

    > There are no "SATA slaves". Please find out what you really have.
    >
    > Arno

    That's what I once thought. A while back, a poster in one of the
    windows groups was having drive problems. He included the
    report from the drives' diagnostics, which referred to a SATA
    slave. I didn't believe this at first, then did some investigating
    with my own system and came across this in my ASUS P5B Dlx
    motherboard manual:

    Serial ATA hard disk drive connection
    Connector.....................Color............... ...Setting....................Use

    SATA1/2/5/6................Red.....................Master... ................Boot
    disk
    SATA3/4.......................Black..................Sla ve......................Data
    disk

    This apparently comes from the Intel ICH8R spec.

    The ATA definitions of master (boot), and slave (non-boot),
    also apply to SATA.

  7. Re: sata master sata slave

    Previously Ian D wrote:

    >> There are no "SATA slaves". Please find out what you really have.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > That's what I once thought. A while back, a poster in one of the
    > windows groups was having drive problems. He included the
    > report from the drives' diagnostics, which referred to a SATA
    > slave. I didn't believe this at first, then did some investigating
    > with my own system and came across this in my ASUS P5B Dlx
    > motherboard manual:

    > Serial ATA hard disk drive connection
    > Connector.....................Color............... ...Setting....................Use

    > SATA1/2/5/6................Red.....................Master... ................Boot
    > disk
    > SATA3/4.......................Black..................Sla ve......................Data
    > disk

    > This apparently comes from the Intel ICH8R spec.

    > The ATA definitions of master (boot), and slave (non-boot),
    > also apply to SATA.

    Actually a master is the one that resets the ATA bus and a slave
    is one that does not, but waits for the other drive to do it.
    Since bus reset is solved differently for SATA, and since
    there is only one drtive on an SATA bus, there are no SATA slaves.
    Of course, the terms are frequently misused.

    Incidentially, there is no connection between bootability and
    ATA-"master" or ATA-"slave".

    Arno

  8. Re: sata master sata slave

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > Previously Ian D wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There are no "SATA slaves". Please find out what you really have.
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> That's what I once thought. A while back, a poster in one of the
    >> windows groups was having drive problems. He included the
    >> report from the drives' diagnostics, which referred to a SATA
    >> slave. I didn't believe this at first, then did some investigating
    >> with my own system and came across this in my ASUS P5B Dlx
    >> motherboard manual:

    >> Serial ATA hard disk drive connection
    >> Connector.....................Color............... ...Setting....................Use

    >> SATA1/2/5/6................Red.....................Master... ................Boot
    >> disk
    >> SATA3/4.......................Black..................Sla ve......................Data
    >> disk

    >> This apparently comes from the Intel ICH8R spec.

    >> The ATA definitions of master (boot), and slave (non-boot),
    >> also apply to SATA.

    > Actually a master is the one that resets the ATA bus and a slave
    > is one that does not, but waits for the other drive to do it.
    > Since bus reset is solved differently for SATA, and since
    > there is only one drtive on an SATA bus, there are no SATA slaves.
    > Of course, the terms are frequently misused.
    >
    > Incidentially, there is no connection between bootability and
    > ATA-"master" or ATA-"slave".
    >
    > Arno

    For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    slave devices.

    I determined the above by plugging the same drive into each
    of the 6 SATA connectors to see where it appeared in the
    Device Manager IDE channel listing.

  9. Re: sata master sata slave

    On or about Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:31:17 -0400 did "Ian D"
    dribble thusly:

    >"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

    >For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    >SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    >channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    >the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    >the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    >primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    >jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    >connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    >are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    >slave devices.

    One IDE channel supports a master and a slave. You'll note that each appears
    on its own channel, and furthermore, calling it IDE is just the way the
    Windows device manager is organized. They are not IDE at all.

  10. Re: sata master sata slave

    "Mike Ruskai" wrote in message

    > One IDE channel supports a master and a slave. You'll note that each appears
    > on its own channel, and furthermore, calling it IDE is just the way the
    > Windows device manager is organized. They are not IDE at all.

    Of course they are, or device manager would not list them under IDE controllers.
    SATA in the default legacy mode is 100% IDE compatible, even Win NT4 will installed.

  11. Re: sata master sata slave

    Previously Ian D wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message

    >>> That's what I once thought. A while back, a poster in one of the
    >>> windows groups was having drive problems. He included the
    >>> report from the drives' diagnostics, which referred to a SATA
    >>> slave. I didn't believe this at first, then did some investigating
    >>> with my own system and came across this in my ASUS P5B Dlx
    >>> motherboard manual:

    >>> Serial ATA hard disk drive connection
    >>> Connector.....................Color............... ...Setting....................Use

    >>> SATA1/2/5/6................Red.....................Master... ................Boot
    >>> disk
    >>> SATA3/4.......................Black..................Sla ve......................Data
    >>> disk

    >>> This apparently comes from the Intel ICH8R spec.

    >>> The ATA definitions of master (boot), and slave (non-boot),
    >>> also apply to SATA.

    >> Actually a master is the one that resets the ATA bus and a slave
    >> is one that does not, but waits for the other drive to do it.
    >> Since bus reset is solved differently for SATA, and since
    >> there is only one drtive on an SATA bus, there are no SATA slaves.
    >> Of course, the terms are frequently misused.
    >>
    >> Incidentially, there is no connection between bootability and
    >> ATA-"master" or ATA-"slave".
    >>
    >> Arno

    > For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    > SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    > channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    > the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    > the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    > primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    > jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    > connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    > are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    > slave devices.

    > I determined the above by plugging the same drive into each
    > of the 6 SATA connectors to see where it appeared in the
    > Device Manager IDE channel listing.

    Well, you can have some interfaces set to IDE emulation. Then
    they will simulate being master/slave. They still are not.

    Arno

  12. Re: sata master sata slave

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6f66pnFa26qoU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Ian D wrote:
    > > >
    > > > There are no "SATA slaves". Please find out what you really have.
    > > >
    > > > Arno

    > > That's what I once thought. A while back, a poster in one of the
    > > windows groups was having drive problems. He included the
    > > report from the drives' diagnostics, which referred to a SATA
    > > slave. I didn't believe this at first, then did some investigating
    > > with my own system and came across this in my ASUS P5B Dlx
    > > motherboard manual:

    > > Serial ATA hard disk drive connection
    > > Connector.....................Color............... ...Setting....................Use

    > > SATA1/2/5/6................Red.....................Master... ................Boot disk
    > > SATA3/4.......................Black..................Sla ve......................Data disk

    > > This apparently comes from the Intel ICH8R spec.

    Like hat the Intel spec would mention connector colors.

    Bull****.

    > Actually a master is the one that resets the ATA bus and a slave
    > is one that does not,

    Right, so obviously you can't have a slave without a master.
    Very good, Babblebot, I'm so proud of you.
    Obviously you haven't got the slightest clue, as always.

    > but waits for the other drive to do it.
    > Since bus reset is solved differently for SATA, and since
    > there is only one drtive on an SATA bus, there are no SATA slaves.

    > Of course, the terms are frequently misused.

    No, really Babblebot?
    What about the SATA controllers that are merely PATA controllers with
    PATA to SATA convertors on them. What about SATA controllers in
    compatability mode.

    > Incidentially, there is no connection between bootability and
    > ATA-"master" or ATA-"slave".

    Is that so, Babblebot.

    > Arno

  13. Re: sata master sata slave

    Mike Ruskai wrote in news:s9ls84dn33m5gn0kk74u3ri4sfdf2va18o@4ax.com
    > On or about Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:31:17 -0400 did "Ian D"
    > dribble thusly:
    >

    > > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message

    > > For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    > > SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    > > channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    > > the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    > > the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    > > primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    > > jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    > > connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    > > are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    > > slave devices.

    > One IDE channel supports a master and a slave. You'll note that each appears
    > on its own channel, and furthermore, calling it IDE is just the way the
    > Windows device manager is organized. They are not IDE at all.

    Sure it does. I'll bet it will do that to SCSI too .... Not.

  14. Re: sata master sata slave

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6f8pubFabqd4U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Ian D wrote:
    >
    >> "Arno Wagner" wrote in message

    >>> Actually a master is the one that resets the ATA bus and a slave
    >>> is one that does not, but waits for the other drive to do it.
    >>> Since bus reset is solved differently for SATA, and since
    >>> there is only one drtive on an SATA bus, there are no SATA slaves.
    >>> Of course, the terms are frequently misused.
    >>>
    >>> Incidentially, there is no connection between bootability and
    >>> ATA-"master" or ATA-"slave".
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    >> SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    >> channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    >> the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    >> the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    >> primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    >> jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    >> connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    >> are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    >> slave devices.

    >> I determined the above by plugging the same drive into each
    >> of the 6 SATA connectors to see where it appeared in the
    >> Device Manager IDE channel listing.

    > Well, you can have some interfaces set to IDE emulation.

    Gee, Babblebot, Gisin not in your killfile?

    > Then they will simulate being master/slave.

    No, really?

    > They still are not.

    Right, and MoBos obviously should have little camaras to
    read the drive labels, to be able to correctly report them.

    > Arno

  15. Re: sata master sata slave

    Mike Ruskai wrote:

    > On or about Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:31:17 -0400 did "Ian D"
    > dribble thusly:
    >

    > >"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

    > >For my P5B Dlx motherboard, Device Manager reports that
    > >SATA 1&3 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on a primary IDE
    > >channel, and SATA 2&4 are devices 0/1 (master/slave?) on
    > >the corresponding secondary IDE channel. This jives with
    > >the manual's info. SATA 5&6 are each alone, SATA5 on a
    > >primary, and SATA6 on a secondary IDE channel. This also
    > >jives with your info as the bootable/non-bootable SATA
    > >connections are paired into single IDE channels. SATA 3&4
    > >are configured in the southbridge with the attributes of
    > >slave devices.

    > One IDE channel supports a master and a slave. You'll note that
    > each appears on its own channel, and furthermore, calling it IDE
    > is just the way the Windows device manager is organized. They
    > are not IDE at all.

    Hello, Mike:

    Also, I'm sure that "Ian D" meant to write, "jibes," instead of,
    "jives." :-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco

+ Reply to Thread