iMac Hard Disk - Storage

This is a discussion on iMac Hard Disk - Storage ; I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it? Can the drive once out, be used in any manner. How ...

  1. iMac Hard Disk

    I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the
    drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it?

    Can the drive once out, be used in any manner.

    How about the 17-inch screen? Can it be used?

  2. Re: iMac Hard Disk

    In article
    ,
    Lee wrote:

    > I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the
    > drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it?
    >
    > Can the drive once out, be used in any manner.
    >
    > How about the 17-inch screen? Can it be used?

    First, you don't say why you can no longer log in. Do you know why?
    Forget the password? Some other reason? What generation iMac? What
    version of the Mac OS? What are the symptoms you experience? A little
    more information might enable someone on this newsgroup to give more
    specific advice. It

    You can use the system install CD/DVD that came with your iMac to erase
    the drive and do a new install of the OS & applications. Insert the
    CD/DVD, and hold down the C key when you restart the machine. That will
    force it to start up from the CD/DVD. Follow the instructions for
    installing the software.

    Of course, when you do that, all your data will be lost. Did you make a
    backup of your data? If you did, you can restore your data from the
    backup.

    If the hard drive has failed, then you would need to replace it.

    It is also possible to run a Mac from an external Firewire hard drive.
    You would need to install the OS on the external drive, which can be
    done by starting up from the CD/DVD, then following the instructions,
    etc.

    A printed troubleshooting guide may have come with your computer. If you
    have that you can refer to it.

    You can also call Apple tech support. If you do not have Applecare on
    the machine, and it is past 90 days old, you will have to pay for the
    tech support, but Apple tech support is usually very good, and paying
    for the support may well be worth it if you can't figure out the problem
    for yourself.

    You can also take the machine to an Apple store or other Apple service
    place. They can help with hardware and Apple software issues.

    --
    Bill Collins
    For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

  3. Re: iMac Hard Disk

    On Jul 26, 6:58*am, Bill wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > *Lee wrote:
    > > I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the
    > > drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it?

    > > Can the drive once out, be used in any manner.

    > > How about the 17-inch screen? Can it be used?

    > First, you don't say why you can no longer log in. Do you know why?
    > Forget the password? Some other reason? What generation iMac? What
    > version of the Mac OS? What are the symptoms you experience? A little
    > more information might enable someone on this newsgroup to give more
    > specific advice. It
    >
    > You can use the system install CD/DVD that came with your iMac to erase
    > the drive and do a new install of the OS & applications. Insert the
    > CD/DVD, and hold down the C key when you restart the machine. That will
    > force it to start up from the CD/DVD. Follow the instructions for
    > installing the software.
    >
    > Of course, when you do that, all your data will be lost. Did you make a
    > backup of your data? If you did, you can restore your data from the
    > backup.
    >
    > If the hard drive has failed, then you would need to replace it.
    >
    > It is also possible to run a Mac from an external Firewire hard drive.
    > You would need to install the OS on the external drive, which can be
    > done by starting up from the CD/DVD, then following the instructions,
    > etc.
    >
    > A printed troubleshooting guide may have come with your computer. If you
    > have that you can refer to it.
    >
    > You can also call Apple tech support. If you do not have Applecare on
    > the machine, and it is past 90 days old, you will have to pay for the
    > tech support, but Apple tech support is usually very good, and paying
    > for the support may well be worth it if you can't figure out the problem
    > for yourself.
    >
    > You can also take the machine to an Apple store or other Apple service
    > place. They can help with hardware and Apple software issues.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Collins
    > For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

    Sorry for so little info.

    I have an early generation iMac running OS 10.5.4

    When starting the iMac, it gets to the point of icons showing up on
    the screen and startup apps loading, but then they shut down, the
    icons disappear, and the machine goes back through startup with my not
    having control at any time.

    The machine does not recognize a startup CD.

    My local Apple rep via phone said it may be the OS but it is more
    likely the logic board which costs $450 to replace -- not a good
    choice with this machine's age.

    I will try taking control via my Macbook.

  4. Re: iMac Hard Disk

    On Jul 26, 6:58*am, Bill wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > *Lee wrote:
    > > I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the
    > > drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it?

    > > Can the drive once out, be used in any manner.

    > > How about the 17-inch screen? Can it be used?

    > First, you don't say why you can no longer log in. Do you know why?
    > Forget the password? Some other reason? What generation iMac? What
    > version of the Mac OS? What are the symptoms you experience? A little
    > more information might enable someone on this newsgroup to give more
    > specific advice. It
    >
    > You can use the system install CD/DVD that came with your iMac to erase
    > the drive and do a new install of the OS & applications. Insert the
    > CD/DVD, and hold down the C key when you restart the machine. That will
    > force it to start up from the CD/DVD. Follow the instructions for
    > installing the software.
    >
    > Of course, when you do that, all your data will be lost. Did you make a
    > backup of your data? If you did, you can restore your data from the
    > backup.
    >
    > If the hard drive has failed, then you would need to replace it.
    >
    > It is also possible to run a Mac from an external Firewire hard drive.
    > You would need to install the OS on the external drive, which can be
    > done by starting up from the CD/DVD, then following the instructions,
    > etc.
    >
    > A printed troubleshooting guide may have come with your computer. If you
    > have that you can refer to it.
    >
    > You can also call Apple tech support. If you do not have Applecare on
    > the machine, and it is past 90 days old, you will have to pay for the
    > tech support, but Apple tech support is usually very good, and paying
    > for the support may well be worth it if you can't figure out the problem
    > for yourself.
    >
    > You can also take the machine to an Apple store or other Apple service
    > place. They can help with hardware and Apple software issues.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Collins
    > For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

    I hooked the iMac up to my Macbook via a Firewire cable. The firewire
    icon hops around on the iMac screen but I cannot see the iMac's HD
    icon on my Macbook. What does that tell me about the iMac?

  5. Re: iMac Hard Disk

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:45:59 -0400, Lee wrote
    (in article
    <611015e2-8e4a-4a1b-abe4-a83cc41661d8@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>):

    > On Jul 26, 6:58*am, Bill wrote:
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >>
    >> *Lee wrote:
    >>> I can no longer login to my iMac. Is there anyway I can erase the
    >>> drive? Do I have to take it out of the case and discard it?

    >>> Can the drive once out, be used in any manner.

    >>> How about the 17-inch screen? Can it be used?

    >> First, you don't say why you can no longer log in. Do you know why?
    >> Forget the password? Some other reason? What generation iMac? What
    >> version of the Mac OS? What are the symptoms you experience? A little
    >> more information might enable someone on this newsgroup to give more
    >> specific advice. It
    >>
    >> You can use the system install CD/DVD that came with your iMac to erase
    >> the drive and do a new install of the OS & applications. Insert the
    >> CD/DVD, and hold down the C key when you restart the machine. That will
    >> force it to start up from the CD/DVD. Follow the instructions for
    >> installing the software.
    >>
    >> Of course, when you do that, all your data will be lost. Did you make a
    >> backup of your data? If you did, you can restore your data from the
    >> backup.
    >>
    >> If the hard drive has failed, then you would need to replace it.
    >>
    >> It is also possible to run a Mac from an external Firewire hard drive.
    >> You would need to install the OS on the external drive, which can be
    >> done by starting up from the CD/DVD, then following the instructions,
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> A printed troubleshooting guide may have come with your computer. If you
    >> have that you can refer to it.
    >>
    >> You can also call Apple tech support. If you do not have Applecare on
    >> the machine, and it is past 90 days old, you will have to pay for the
    >> tech support, but Apple tech support is usually very good, and paying
    >> for the support may well be worth it if you can't figure out the problem
    >> for yourself.
    >>
    >> You can also take the machine to an Apple store or other Apple service
    >> place. They can help with hardware and Apple software issues.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Collins
    >> For email, change "fake" to "earthlink"

    > I hooked the iMac up to my Macbook via a Firewire cable. The firewire
    > icon hops around on the iMac screen but I cannot see the iMac's HD
    > icon on my Macbook. What does that tell me about the iMac?

    If you booted the iMac up in FireWire Target Disk Mode, it says that the hard
    drive is dead. If you didn't, it says that you need to boot in FWTDM. Restart
    the iMac, holding the 'T' key down.

    You might want to look at . Other key
    combos might be useful to you.