partitioning through usb port app - Storage

This is a discussion on partitioning through usb port app - Storage ; I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter on a win98se system. My usual partitioning tool will not work on a drive connected via a usb port. What program is the simplest and least complicated ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. partitioning through usb port app

    I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter on a win98se
    system. My usual partitioning tool will not work on a drive connected
    via a usb port.

    What program is the simplest and least complicated to use to partiton
    to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se? What are the
    potential problems in doing this, if any? Thanks for any helpful
    answers. Sorry I don't have time to look this up right now, so can
    someone please help?

  2. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote:

    > I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter
    > on a win98se system. My usual partitioning tool will not
    > work on a drive connected via a usb port.

    > What program is the simplest and least complicated to use
    > to partiton to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se?

    There is no particular limit on the partition sized with SE
    unless you are talking about the 48 bit LBA limit of 137GB
    that applys to the entire physical drive, not just the partition.

    Some of the partitioners on the UBCD will partition USB drives fine.

    > What are the potential problems in doing this, if any?

    http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm

  3. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Try bootitng installed to a CD or floppy. Skip the install and it will
    go into maintenance mode. Go into the partition work and you can create
    partitions. Might have to activate usb in the settings.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  4. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Hi Rod, thanks for the reply, more blow

    "Rod Speed" wrote in news:6etac9F8rcscU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > jkerouac wrote:
    >
    >> I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter
    >> on a win98se system. My usual partitioning tool will not
    >> work on a drive connected via a usb port.

    >> What program is the simplest and least complicated to use
    >> to partiton to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se?

    > There is no particular limit on the partition sized with SE
    > unless you are talking about the 48 bit LBA limit of 137GB
    > that applys to the entire physical drive, not just the partition.

    So do you mean by this that I cannot have like two 125 GB partitions on
    this drive the SE will recognize?

    > Some of the partitioners on the UBCD will partition USB drives fine.

    Sorry, what's the UBCD?

    >> What are the potential problems in doing this, if any?

    > http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm

  5. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Ed Light wrote in

    I'm using an old ver (can't recall offhand, not at my home machine) of
    bootitng. Works fine on installed drived, but if memory serves, it does
    not recognize any hd connected through the usb port, I recall trying
    that once. Maybe the later versions do?

    > Try bootitng installed to a CD or floppy. Skip the install and it will
    > go into maintenance mode. Go into the partition work and you can
    > create partitions. Might have to activate usb in the settings.

  6. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac_not wrote:

    > I'm using an old ver (can't recall offhand, not at my home machine) of
    > bootitng. Works fine on installed drived, but if memory serves, it does
    > not recognize any hd connected through the usb port, I recall trying
    > that once. Maybe the later versions do?

    OH, yeah! Just download the latest.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  7. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Previously jkerouac wrote:
    > Hi Rod, thanks for the reply, more blow

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in news:6etac9F8rcscU1
    > @mid.individual.net:

    >> jkerouac wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter
    >>> on a win98se system. My usual partitioning tool will not
    >>> work on a drive connected via a usb port.

    >>> What program is the simplest and least complicated to use
    >>> to partiton to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se?

    >> There is no particular limit on the partition sized with SE
    >> unless you are talking about the 48 bit LBA limit of 137GB
    >> that applys to the entire physical drive, not just the partition.

    > So do you mean by this that I cannot have like two 125 GB partitions on
    > this drive the SE will recognize?

    I don't think SE can handle 125GB partitions or 250GB disks at all.

    Arno

  8. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote
    > Hi Rod, thanks for the reply, more blow

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> jkerouac wrote

    >>> I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter
    >>> on a win98se system. My usual partitioning tool will not
    >>> work on a drive connected via a usb port.

    >>> What program is the simplest and least complicated to use
    >>> to partiton to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se?

    >> There is no particular limit on the partition sized with SE
    >> unless you are talking about the 48 bit LBA limit of 137GB
    >> that applys to the entire physical drive, not just the partition.

    > So do you mean by this that I cannot have like two 125 GB partitions
    > on this drive the SE will recognize?

    It is possible, with the limitations spelt out in the url I posted at the bottom.

    >> Some of the partitioners on the UBCD will partition USB drives fine.

    > Sorry, what's the UBCD?

    You can resolve those by using google.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    >>> What are the potential problems in doing this, if any?

    >> http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm

  9. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously jkerouac wrote:
    >> Hi Rod, thanks for the reply, more blow

    >> "Rod Speed" wrote in news:6etac9F8rcscU1
    >> @mid.individual.net:

    >>> There is no particular limit on the partition sized with SE
    >>> unless you are talking about the 48 bit LBA limit of 137GB
    >>> that applys to the entire physical drive, not just the partition.

    >> So do you mean by this that I cannot have like two 125 GB partitions
    >> on this drive the SE will recognize?

    > I don't think SE can handle 125GB partitions or 250GB disks at all.

    You're wrong, as always.

  10. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    "Rod Speed" wrote in

    Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears that se tools
    such as scandisk cannot be used on anything over 64GB without risk of
    data corruption.

    Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since I will
    divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and I guess fdisk only
    allows one primary partition. If anyone can suggest a good simple
    partitioner that will do it, let me know. Maybe N.C.

  11. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >>

    > Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears
    > that se tools such as scandisk cannot be used on anything
    > over 64GB without risk of data corruption.

    Yes, but the obvious approach is to not use that.

    > Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since
    > I will divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and
    > I guess fdisk only allows one primary partition.

    Thats not the problem, the problem is that it doesnt have 48 bit LBA support.

    > If anyone can suggest a good simple
    > partitioner that will do it, let me know.

    I did, there are a number of those on the UBCD

    > Maybe N.C.

  12. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    > Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since I will
    > divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and I guess fdisk only
    > allows one primary partition. If anyone can suggest a good simple
    > partitioner that will do it, let me know. Maybe N.C.

    bootitng installed to CD or floppy and skip the install - it goes into
    maintenance mode, turn on usb in settings, use partitioning. Don't use
    the feature that allows more than 4 primaries.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  13. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Under http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and under "Partition Tools" which
    of those listed have you used that you like and why? Thanks again, Rod.

    "Rod Speed" wrote in

    > jkerouac wrote:
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>>

    >> Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears
    >> that se tools such as scandisk cannot be used on anything
    >> over 64GB without risk of data corruption.

    > Yes, but the obvious approach is to not use that.
    >
    >> Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since
    >> I will divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and
    >> I guess fdisk only allows one primary partition.

    > Thats not the problem, the problem is that it doesnt have 48 bit LBA
    > support.
    >
    >> If anyone can suggest a good simple
    >> partitioner that will do it, let me know.

    > I did, there are a number of those on the UBCD
    >
    >> Maybe N.C.

  14. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote:

    > Under http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and under "Partition Tools"
    > which of those listed have you used that you like and why?

    I dont generally use them myself, so you will have
    to try them for yourself and see which one you like.

    > Thanks again, Rod.

    No problem.

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in
    >
    >> jkerouac wrote:
    >>> Rod Speed wrote
    >>>>

    >>> Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears
    >>> that se tools such as scandisk cannot be used on anything
    >>> over 64GB without risk of data corruption.

    >> Yes, but the obvious approach is to not use that.
    >>
    >>> Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since
    >>> I will divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and
    >>> I guess fdisk only allows one primary partition.

    >> Thats not the problem, the problem is that it doesnt have 48 bit LBA
    >> support.
    >>
    >>> If anyone can suggest a good simple
    >>> partitioner that will do it, let me know.

    >> I did, there are a number of those on the UBCD
    >>
    >>> Maybe N.C.

  15. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    In article , jkerouac wrote:
    >"Rod Speed" wrote in
    >

    >Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears that se tools
    >such as scandisk cannot be used on anything over 64GB without risk of
    >data corruption.
    >
    >Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since I will
    >divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and I guess fdisk only
    >allows one primary partition. If anyone can suggest a good simple
    >partitioner that will do it, let me know. Maybe N.C.

    Unless you are going to boot from them, is there a reason you need more than 1
    primary partition for your purpose?

  16. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote in

    > In article , jkerouac
    > wrote:
    >>"Rod Speed" wrote in
    >>

    >>Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears that se tools

    > Unless you are going to boot from them, is there a reason you need
    > more than 1 primary partition for your purpose?

    I don't need to boot from it, so do I even need to have even one
    primary? Can they all be extended? I can't remember, been a while since
    I looked into this topic.

  17. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote:
    > glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote in
    >
    >> In article , jkerouac
    >> wrote:
    >>> "Rod Speed" wrote in
    >>>

    >>> Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears that se tools

    >> Unless you are going to boot from them, is there a reason you need
    >> more than 1 primary partition for your purpose?

    > I don't need to boot from it, so do I even need to have even one primary?

    Nope.

    > Can they all be extended?

    You need multiple logical drives in a single extended.

    > I can't remember, been a while since I looked into this topic.

  18. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote...

    >I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter on a win98se
    >system. My usual partitioning tool will not work on a drive connected
    >via a usb port.

    Try gparted - Gnome Partition Editor.
    Download a bootable Linux ISO image with Gparted.
    Burn the ISO to a CD. Boot it up. Plugin your USB.
    Then select /dev/sda1 (assume you have one USB HD).

    The stable version is
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gpa...ve-0.3.7-7.iso.

  19. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    jkerouac wrote:

    > I don't need to boot from it, so do I even need to have even one
    > primary? Can they all be extended? I can't remember, been a while since
    > I looked into this topic.

    I think you can only have one extended; but, you can put lots of volumes
    in it. The extended is a form of primary, I *think*.

    I just know that in bootitng, when I tried to create two extendeds, it
    said no-no.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  20. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Ed Light wrote:
    > jkerouac wrote:
    >
    >> I don't need to boot from it, so do I even need to have even one
    >> primary? Can they all be extended? I can't remember, been a while
    >> since I looked into this topic.

    > I think you can only have one extended; but, you can put lots of
    > volumes in it. The extended is a form of primary, I *think*.

    Nope.

    > I just know that in bootitng, when I tried to create two extendeds, it said no-no.

    And so it should.