partitioning through usb port app - Storage

This is a discussion on partitioning through usb port app - Storage ; Rod Speed wrote: >> The extended is a form of primary, I *think*. > > Nope. Just checked the bootitng manual, and it says that an extended is a special form of primary. I'll stick with that. -- Ed Light ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  2. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Enable Int13 support for the drive in Device Manager
    and DOS partition tools will see the drive. Free DOS fdisk should work.

    "jkerouac" wrote in message news:g6b9g3$cf5$1@aioe.org...
    >I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter on a win98se
    > system. My usual partitioning tool will not work on a drive connected
    > via a usb port.
    >
    > What program is the simplest and least complicated to use to partiton
    > to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se? What are the
    > potential problems in doing this, if any? Thanks for any helpful
    > answers. Sorry I don't have time to look this up right now, so can
    > someone please help?

  3. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Ed Light wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> The extended is a form of primary, I *think*.

    >> Nope.

    > Just checked the bootitng manual, and it says that an extended is a special form of primary.

    Its wrong.

    > I'll stick with that.

    More fool you.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_partition

  4. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Rod Speed wrote in news:6f1p4sF994r0U1@mid.individual.net
    > jkerouac wrote:
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > > >

    > > Ok, I had some time to do a search on this. It appears
    > > that se tools such as scandisk cannot be used on anything
    > > over 64GB without risk of data corruption.

    > Yes, but the obvious approach is to not use that.
    >
    > > Also I will need a partitioner other than fdisk I think since
    > > I will divide the drive into approx 4 60GB partitions and
    > > I guess fdisk only allows one primary partition.

    > Thats not the problem, the problem is that it doesnt have 48 bit LBA support.

    As if that matters with an USB drive.

    > > If anyone can suggest a good simple
    > > partitioner that will do it, let me know.

    > I did, there are a number of those on the UBCD
    >
    > > Maybe N.C.

  5. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Ed Light wrote in news:488ecc77$0$1835$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com
    > jkerouac wrote:
    >
    > > I don't need to boot from it, so do I even need to have even one
    > > primary? Can they all be extended? I can't remember, been a while since
    > > I looked into this topic.

    > I think you can only have one extended; but, you can put lots of volumes
    > in it.

    > The extended is a form of primary, I *think*.

    Who cares.

    > I just know that in bootitng, when I tried to create two extendeds, it
    > said no-no.

  6. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > More fool you.

    Due to your issues, I'm filtering you out.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  7. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Ed Light wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >
    >> More fool you.

    > Due to your issues, I'm filtering you out.

    Fat lot of good that will do you, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

  8. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Sambo wrote:
    > Ed Light wrote:
    >> Rod Speed wrote:
    >>
    >>> More fool you.

    >> Due to your issues, I'm filtering you out.

    > Fat lot of good that will do you, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

    Due to your issues, I'm filtering you out.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  9. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    Squeeze wrote:
    > Ed Light wrote
    >> The extended is a form of primary, I *think*.

    > Who cares.

    Oh, grumpy. Guess I'll filter you.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  10. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 03:15:48 +0200 (CEST), jkerouac
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I need to partition a 250GB HD using a usb to ide adapter on a win98se
    >system. My usual partitioning tool will not work on a drive connected
    >via a usb port.
    >
    >What program is the simplest and least complicated to use to partiton
    >to, if memory serves?, the 100gb limit for win98se? What are the
    >potential problems in doing this, if any? Thanks for any helpful
    >answers. Sorry I don't have time to look this up right now, so can
    >someone please help?

    I've just FDISKed and formatted a 320GB USB drive as two 160GB
    partitions. To provide USB 2.0 support for my chipset and USB support
    for storage peripherals, I use the Maximus Decim NUSB driver set which
    consists of the relevant Win ME components:

    http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605

    You can then FDISK your drive in a DOS window and format the logical
    drives from the GUI (I FDISKed in real mode DOS using DOS USB
    drivers). Just be sure to specify the partition sizes in percentage
    terms rather than actual capacities because FDISK cannot display the
    large sizes correctly. Also be aware that the original FDISK that
    ships with 98SE does not handle discs larger then 64GB. You need this
    MS download for that:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044/en-us

    This post describes how to access a USB HD in real DOS:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e?dmode=source

    - Franc Zabkar

  11. Re: partitioning through usb port app

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:04:39 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I've just FDISKed and formatted a 320GB USB drive as two 160GB
    >partitions. To provide USB 2.0 support for my chipset and USB support
    >for storage peripherals, I use the Maximus Decim NUSB driver set which
    >consists of the relevant Win ME components:

    I should have said that I'm using Win 98SE.

    - Franc Zabkar