137GB limit on Laptop - Storage

This is a discussion on 137GB limit on Laptop - Storage ; The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. 137GB limit on Laptop

    The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    break the 137GB limit

    Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    Michael

  2. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in news:f4476fc7-661c-49ac-aa76-56326ad668b9@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com
    > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > break the 137GB limit.

    So that is only a problem in DOS. Do you still use DOS?
    In which case you may want to know if it wraps or just provides
    access to only 137GB and errors out on access over 137GB.

    > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > access?

    Like that you don't kow about drive overlays.

    > Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    There's people that produce patched versions of some BIOSes for a fee.

    > Michael

  3. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    mscotgrove@aol.com kenjka:
    > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > break the 137GB limit

    > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    http://www.community.windowsreinstal...ownload&id=116

    Try to download this utility and start it, enable the 48bit LBA support and
    see if it's OK now...

    --
    "Glups li psihijataru kopu ?" upita kokaa komponira prozorcicu nabiju.
    "Ne znam ja nista !" rece vodoinstalatera pipa "Ja samo Ivic Pasalicu farbu zarazenm !"

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    http://inovator.blog.hr
    http://calypso-innovations.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    On Jul 24, 6:41*pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > mscotgr...@aol.com wrote innews:f4476fc7-661c-49ac-aa76-56326ad668b9@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com
    >
    > > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > > 160GB drive. *Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > > for the 137GB limit. *The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.
    > > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > > break the 137GB limit.

    > So that is only a problem in DOS. Do you still use DOS?
    > In which case you may want to know if it wraps or just provides
    > access to only 137GB and errors out on access over 137GB.
    >

    > > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > > access? *

    > Like that you don't kow about drive overlays.
    >
    > > Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > There's people that produce patched versions of some BIOSes for a fee.
    >

    > > Michael- Hide quoted text -

    I am not using DOS, but Windows XP SP3

    The BIOS is where the limit appears to be

    Am looking at the www.48bitlba.com site the next poster pointed me
    to. It may help.

  5. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    In article <4888b4d4$0$13848$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in
    >> The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    >> 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    >> for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    >> I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    >> break the 137GB limit.

    >So that is only a problem in DOS. Do you still use DOS?
    >In which case you may want to know if it wraps or just provides
    >access to only 137GB and errors out on access over 137GB.

    That is not just a problem in DOS, until XP SP1, you still had LBA48 issues

    >> Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    >> access?

    >Like that you don't kow about drive overlays.
    >
    >> Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    >There's people that produce patched versions of some BIOSes for a fee.
    >

    >> Michael

  6. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    GMAN wrote in news:g6aun2$rvr$1@news.xmission.com
    > In article <4888b4d4$0$13848$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in news:f4476fc7-661c-49ac-aa76-56326ad668b9@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com
    > > > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > > > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > > > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > > > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > > > break the 137GB limit.

    > > So that is only a problem in DOS. Do you still use DOS?
    > > In which case you may want to know whether it wraps or just provides
    > > access to only 137GB and errors out on access over 137GB.
    > >

    > That is not just a problem in DOS, until XP SP1, you still had LBA48 issues

    But that was not related to the BIOS.

    > > > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > > > access?

    > > Like that you don't kow about drive overlays.
    > >
    > > > Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > > There's people that produce patched versions of some BIOSes for a fee.
    > >

    > > > Michael

  7. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgrove@aol.com"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    >160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    >for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.
    >
    >I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    >break the 137GB limit
    >
    >Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    >access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?
    >
    >Michael

    Could you partition and format the drive as two logical drives in a
    48-bit LBA capable machine, and then install it in your VGN-B3XP
    machine? Wouldn't this allow the BIOS and XP to boot from the first
    partition (in 28-bit LBA mode), and wouldn't XP's drivers then take
    over from the BIOS and provide 48-bit LBA access to both partitions???

    - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    On Jul 25, 6:14*am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgr...@aol.com"
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > >160GB drive. *Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > >for the 137GB limit. *The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > >I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > >break the 137GB limit

    > >Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > >access? *Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > >Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > >Michael

    > Could you partition and format the drive as two logical drives in a
    > 48-bit LBA capable machine, and then install it in your VGN-B3XP
    > machine? Wouldn't this allow the BIOS and XP to boot from the first
    > partition (in 28-bit LBA mode), and wouldn't XP's drivers then take
    > over from the BIOS and provide 48-bit LBA access to both partitions???
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    I will try that - though couriously, the computer management program,
    part of XP, only sees a 128GB drive with three partitions. The
    original 2 making about 75GB, and the third or 50GB being currently
    unallocated. If XP skips the BIOS I would expect to see the full 160
    GB

    Michael

  9. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    Previously mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > break the 137GB limit

    > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > Michael

    I would advise against trying that. Any solution you can come up
    with can break your installation, possibly at inconvenient times
    without much warning. If this were Linux, I would say you could
    probably reassign the rest of the drive with the known-to-be
    reliable lvm and turn it into another drive. But under XP, I
    would say it is a pretty high risk.

    Arno

  10. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in news:0a2de489-499b-4b31-887e-14be0b04b16a@x29g2000prd.googlegroups.com
    > On Jul 25, 6:14 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 , mscotgr...@aol.com mscotgr...@aol.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > > > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > > > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > > > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > > > break the 137GB limit

    > > > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > > > access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > > > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > > > Michael

    > > Could you partition and format the drive as two logical drives in a
    > > 48-bit LBA capable machine, and then install it in your VGN-B3XP
    > > machine? Wouldn't this allow the BIOS and XP to boot from the first
    > > partition (in 28-bit LBA mode), and wouldn't XP's drivers then take
    > > over from the BIOS and provide 48-bit LBA access to both partitions???
    > >
    > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > --
    > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    > I will try that - though couriously, the computer management program,
    > part of XP, only sees a 128GB drive with three partitions. The original
    > 2 making about 75GB, and the third or 50GB being currently unallocated.

    > If XP skips the BIOS I would expect to see the full 160 GB

    For some odd reason the partitioning app included in windows still uses
    BIOS routines. You need to use something else to work around that.
    Like Franc said, use a different machine or use a partition app that
    uses it's own 48-bit code or does not use BIOS to size the drive.

    > Michael

  11. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6etrktF8rjlrU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > > The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    > > 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    > > for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.

    > > I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    > > break the 137GB limit

    > > Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    > > access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.

    > > Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?

    > > Michael

    > I would advise against trying that.

    He said "reliable", moronic Babblebot.
    And he could always shortstroke the drive to 137GB and not be in any
    risk of address wrap around.

    > Any solution you can come up with can break your installation, possibly
    > at inconvenient times without much warning. If this were Linux, I would
    > say you could probably reassign the rest of the drive with the known-to-
    > be reliable lvm and turn it into another drive.

    > But under XP, I would say it is a pretty high risk.

    Idjut zealot Babblebot.

    > Arno

  12. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    In article <4889080a$0$13861$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>, "Squeeze" wrote:
    >GMAN wrote in news:g6aun2$rvr$1@news.xmission.com
    >> In article <4888b4d4$0$13848$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com>, "Squeeze"

    > wrote:
    >> > mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in

    >> > So that is only a problem in DOS. Do you still use DOS?
    >> > In which case you may want to know whether it wraps or just provides
    >> > access to only 137GB and errors out on access over 137GB.
    >> >

    >> That is not just a problem in DOS, until XP SP1, you still had LBA48 issues

    >But that was not related to the BIOS.

    It is both Software and Bios support that needs to be in place to support LBA
    natively. The workaround for years has been to use a drive overlay
    disk supplied by the manufacturer of the drive, be it Maxtor, Seagate. WD
    etc...

    >> > Like that you don't kow about drive overlays.

    >> > There's people that produce patched versions of some BIOSes for a fee.

  13. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    GMAN wrote
    > Squeeze wrote
    >> GMAN wrote
    >>> Squeeze wrote

    >>> That is not just a problem in DOS, until XP SP1, you still had LBA48 issues

    >> But that was not related to the BIOS.

    > It is both Software and Bios support that needs to be in place to support LBA natively.

    Wrong. The BIOS support doesnt matter much, easily got around.

    > The workaround for years has been to use a drive overlay disk supplied
    > by the manufacturer of the drive, be it Maxtor, Seagate. WD etc...

    Which just happens to be software.

  14. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    In article <6eutffF9079kU1@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >GMAN wrote
    >> Squeeze wrote
    >>> GMAN wrote

    > the 137GB limit.

    >>> But that was not related to the BIOS.

    >> It is both Software and Bios support that needs to be in place to support LBA

    > natively.
    >
    >Wrong. The BIOS support doesnt matter much, easily got around.

    I said natively. Yes its easily got around by using a drive overlay.
    But if the bios support is there in the first place, the need for a drive
    overlay is negated.

    >> The workaround for years has been to use a drive overlay disk supplied
    >> by the manufacturer of the drive, be it Maxtor, Seagate. WD etc...

    >Which just happens to be software.

    > access?

  15. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    GMAN wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> GMAN wrote
    >>> Squeeze wrote

    >>> It is both Software and Bios support that needs to be in place to support LBA natively.

    >> Wrong. The BIOS support doesnt matter much, easily got around.

    > I said natively.

    Nothing will do it natively, you always need some software, even if thats just the OS.

    > Yes its easily got around by using a drive overlay.
    > But if the bios support is there in the first place, the need for a drive overlay is negated.

    Yes, but the bios alone isnt enough, you still need some software.

    >>> The workaround for years has been to use a drive overlay disk supplied
    >>> by the manufacturer of the drive, be it Maxtor, Seagate. WD etc...

    >> Which just happens to be software.

  16. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    In article <6f1p4uF994r0U2@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >GMAN wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> GMAN wrote

    > issues

    > LBA natively.
    >
    >>> Wrong. The BIOS support doesnt matter much, easily got around.

    >> I said natively.

    >Nothing will do it natively, you always need some software, even if thats just
    > the OS.
    >
    >> Yes its easily got around by using a drive overlay.
    >> But if the bios support is there in the first place, the need for a drive

    > overlay is negated.
    >
    >Yes, but the bios alone isnt enough, you still need some software.

    >>> Which just happens to be software.

    > access?

    Tomatos, Tomato's , were both likely going on about the same thing. take care
    Rod.

  17. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <6f1p4uF994r0U2@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed"
    > wrote:
    >> GMAN wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >> issues

    >> LBA natively.

    >>> I said natively.

    >> Nothing will do it natively, you always need some software, even if
    >> thats just the OS.
    >>
    >>> Yes its easily got around by using a drive overlay.
    >>> But if the bios support is there in the first place, the need for a
    >>> drive

    >> overlay is negated.
    >>
    >> Yes, but the bios alone isnt enough, you still need some software.

    >> access?

    > Tomatos, Tomato's ,

    Nope, nothing like it.

    > were both likely going on about the same thing.

    Nope.

    > take care Rod.

    I prefer to live dangerously, more fun.

  18. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    "Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
    newsm1i84d86t6das44f1bnivsbjehufe8ooj@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgrove@aol.com"
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    >>160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    >>for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.
    >>
    >>I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    >>break the 137GB limit
    >>
    >>Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    >>access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?
    >>
    >>Michael

    > Could you partition and format the drive as two logical drives in a
    > 48-bit LBA capable machine, and then install it in your VGN-B3XP
    > machine? Wouldn't this allow the BIOS and XP to boot from the first
    > partition (in 28-bit LBA mode), and wouldn't XP's drivers then take
    > over from the BIOS and provide 48-bit LBA access to both partitions???

    Another ****ing moron without a clue. This is a sure fire way to corrupt your data.

  19. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    Rod Speed wrote in news:6f6tfbFa5dkjU1@mid.individual.net
    > GMAN wrote:
    > > In article 6f1p4uF994r0U2@mid.individual.net>, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > > > GMAN wrote

    > > > Nothing will do it natively, you always need some software, even if
    > > > thats just the OS.

    > > > Yes, but the bios alone isnt enough, you still need some software.

    > > Tomatos, Tomato's ,

    Weirdo.

    > Nope, nothing like it.
    >
    > > were both likely going on about the same thing.

    > Nope.
    >
    > > take care Rod.

    > I prefer to live dangerously, more fun.

    Ahh, that must be why you bolted your PC/Mediacenter to your armchair then, Roddles.

  20. Re: 137GB limit on Laptop

    Eric Gisin wrote in news:l96dnTJxvsnlvBLVnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@posted.unise rvecommunications
    > "Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
    > newsm1i84d86t6das44f1bnivsbjehufe8ooj@4ax.com...
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "mscotgrove@aol.com"
    >> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >>> The 80GB drive on Sony VGN-B3XP was about to die, so I purchased a new
    >>> 160GB drive. Cloned the old one, fitted new one and works fine except
    >>> for the 137GB limit. The boot up BIOS says 137GB IDE for the drive.
    >>>
    >>> I contacted Sony and they said there was no BIOS firmware update to
    >>> break the 137GB limit
    >>>
    >>> Without a firmware update, do I just accept that I have 23GB I cannot
    >>> access? Not a big issue, just rather annoying.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a reliable firmware update for the problem?
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> Could you partition and format the drive as two logical drives in a
    >> 48-bit LBA capable machine, and then install it in your VGN-B3XP
    >> machine? Wouldn't this allow the BIOS and XP to boot from the first
    >> partition (in 28-bit LBA mode), and wouldn't XP's drivers then take
    >> over from the BIOS and provide 48-bit LBA access to both partitions???
    >>

    > Another ****ing moron without a clue.

    > This is a sure fire way to corrupt your data.

    In which case it must be very simple for you to explain how, right, Eric?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast