Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup - Storage ; I have a notebook with 250 GB HDD (WD WD2500BEVS : WD Scorpio Blue) dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Just before the weekend I try to boot up the notebook to discover that it has gone into hibernation. The boot ...

  1. Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    I have a notebook with 250 GB HDD (WD WD2500BEVS : WD Scorpio Blue)
    dual boot XP and Ubuntu.

    Just before the weekend I try to boot up the notebook to discover that
    it has gone into hibernation. The boot proceed to the point it says
    that wakeup from hibernation fail and give me the option to delete the
    data and start fresh.

    It doesn't boot up after that and being a dual boot notebook. It fails
    at Grub boot loader.

    So I decide to start fresh and have done bellow:

    1. Try to install Ubuntu without formating existing partition.
    2. Try to install Ubuntu after formating Linux partition, leaving
    windows partition intact.
    3. Got fed up, format the entire hard disk, start from fresh and try
    to install Ubuntu.
    4. Try to reinstall Windows XP SP2.

    Install failure is having same symptom. On Ubuntu, halfway through the
    installation, either it can't write or can't format partition. Or
    Windows installer it manage to format the partition upto 100% and then
    simply claim unable to format partition and then quit because can not
    proceed with installation. Trying to install without formating the
    partition will simply cause the installer to say that it can not use
    the partition.

    I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    have even zeroes the hard disk.

    The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    justify if it is hard disk corruption. The problem now is that
    diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass the disk. And
    personally I don't think the hard disk is broken because I can create
    and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    Anyone face this before? Any Idea how to proceed?

    TIA

    Notes: I don't use the notebook much. Mostly once or twice a week to
    check emails.

  2. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    xbokZero@gmail.com wrote

    > I have a notebook with 250 GB HDD (WD WD2500BEVS : WD Scorpio Blue)
    > dual boot XP and Ubuntu.

    > Just before the weekend I try to boot up the notebook to
    > discover that it has gone into hibernation. The boot proceed
    > to the point it says that wakeup from hibernation fail and
    > give me the option to delete the data and start fresh.

    Likely the drive subsystem had died and thats what produced that symptom.

    > It doesn't boot up after that and being a dual boot notebook.
    > It fails at Grub boot loader.

    More evidence that the drive subsystem has died.

    > So I decide to start fresh and have done bellow:

    Its illegal to bellow at your hard drive.

    > 1. Try to install Ubuntu without formating existing partition.
    > 2. Try to install Ubuntu after formating Linux partition, leaving windows partition intact.
    > 3. Got fed up, format the entire hard disk, start from fresh and try to install Ubuntu.
    > 4. Try to reinstall Windows XP SP2.

    > Install failure is having same symptom. On Ubuntu, halfway through the
    > installation, either it can't write or can't format partition. Or Windows
    > installer it manage to format the partition upto 100% and then simply claim
    > unable to format partition and then quit because can not proceed with installation.

    More evidence that the drive subsystem has died.

    > Trying to install without formating the partition will simply
    > cause the installer to say that it can not use the partition.

    Because the format has failed.

    > I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools -
    > Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and
    > Comprehensive test pass! I have even zeroes the hard disk.

    > The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth).
    > But I do need to justify if it is hard disk corruption.

    Nope, just that the notebook has a fault that prevents even formatting.

    > The problem now is that diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer
    > pass the disk. And personally I don't think the hard disk is broken
    > because I can create and write partition using gparted (Linux partition
    > tool) and the manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    Yes, the fault is likely outside the hard drive, but affects the hard drive.

    > Anyone face this before? Any Idea how to proceed?

    Just make a warranty claim on the notebook.

    > Notes: I don't use the notebook much. Mostly once or twice a week to check emails.

    Not relevant.

  3. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    On Jul 21, 3:26*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > xbokZ...@gmail.com wrote
    >
    > > I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools -
    > > Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and
    > > Comprehensive test pass! I have even zeroes the hard disk.
    > > The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth).
    > > But I do need to justify if it is hard diskcorruption.

    > Nope, just that the notebook has a fault that prevents even formatting.
    >
    > > The problem now is that diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer
    > > pass the disk. And personally I don't think the hard disk is broken
    > > because I can create and write partition using gparted (Linux partition
    > > tool) and the manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    > Yes, the fault is likely outside the hard drive, but affects the hard drive.

    How to dianos this problem and get a prrof saying that there is a
    problem.

    I bought the notebook, HP without OS. I heard from a friend that have
    previous experience. HP will give reason like "you can boot to DOS.
    Not our problem."

    What I have in mind if there is a DOS tools that can check the
    symptom. The problem is as highlighted. I can edit partition, I can
    format and I can use manufacturer tolls without error.

    Hdd subsystem fail is a good theory. Most probably it is not the hard
    disk itself. Like circuitry between hdd and mobo. Need a way to
    understand and prove the theory.

    Thanks Rod Speed

  4. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    xbokZero@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 21, 3:26 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> xbokZ...@gmail.com wrote
    >>
    >>> I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools -
    >>> Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and
    >>> Comprehensive test pass! I have even zeroes the hard disk.
    >>> The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth).
    >>> But I do need to justify if it is hard diskcorruption.

    >> Nope, just that the notebook has a fault that prevents even
    >> formatting.
    >>
    >>> The problem now is that diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer
    >>> pass the disk. And personally I don't think the hard disk is broken
    >>> because I can create and write partition using gparted (Linux
    >>> partition tool) and the manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk
    >>> successfully.

    >> Yes, the fault is likely outside the hard drive, but affects the
    >> hard drive.

    > How to dianos this problem and get a prrof saying that there is a problem.

    The proof is that you cant install an OS.

    > I bought the notebook, HP without OS. I heard from
    > a friend that have previous experience. HP will give
    > reason like "you can boot to DOS. Not our problem."

    Different matter entirely to not being able to install any OS.

    > What I have in mind if there is a DOS tools that can check the
    > symptom. The problem is as highlighted. I can edit partition,
    > I can format and I can use manufacturer tolls without error.

    > Hdd subsystem fail is a good theory. Most probably it is not the hard
    > disk itself. Like circuitry between hdd and mobo. Need a way to
    > understand and prove the theory.

    You have the proof, you cant install the OS.

    > Thanks Rod Speed

  5. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    xbokZero@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a notebook with 250 GB HDD (WD WD2500BEVS : WD Scorpio Blue)
    > dual boot XP and Ubuntu.
    >
    > Just before the weekend I try to boot up the notebook to discover that
    > it has gone into hibernation. The boot proceed to the point it says
    > that wakeup from hibernation fail and give me the option to delete the
    > data and start fresh.
    >
    > It doesn't boot up after that and being a dual boot notebook. It fails
    > at Grub boot loader.
    >
    > So I decide to start fresh and have done bellow:
    >
    > 1. Try to install Ubuntu without formating existing partition.
    > 2. Try to install Ubuntu after formating Linux partition, leaving
    > windows partition intact.
    > 3. Got fed up, format the entire hard disk, start from fresh and try
    > to install Ubuntu.
    > 4. Try to reinstall Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > Install failure is having same symptom. On Ubuntu, halfway through the
    > installation, either it can't write or can't format partition. Or
    > Windows installer it manage to format the partition upto 100% and then
    > simply claim unable to format partition and then quit because can not
    > proceed with installation. Trying to install without formating the
    > partition will simply cause the installer to say that it can not use
    > the partition.
    >
    > I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    > Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    > have even zeroes the hard disk.
    >
    > The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    > justify if it is hard disk corruption. The problem now is that
    > diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass the disk. And
    > personally I don't think the hard disk is broken because I can create
    > and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    > manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.
    >
    > Anyone face this before? Any Idea how to proceed?

    The notebook might have overheated. I had something similar happen to my
    notebook, until I put it on a notebook cooler pad. It was similar
    situation to yours, it was still under warranty, and all data on it was
    lost (though much of it was backed up onto my desktop). I've since put
    it on the cooler pad and have never had another problem with it. These
    manufacturers are trying too hard to make these things too small and
    they put the cooling fan intakes in all of the stupidest places like at
    the bottom of the notebook.

    Yousuf Khan

  6. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT), xbokZero@gmail.com put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    >Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    >have even zeroes the hard disk.
    >
    >The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    >justify if it is hard disk corruption. The problem now is that
    >diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass the disk. And
    >personally I don't think the hard disk is broken because I can create
    >and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    >manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    Run a DOS SMART diagnostic tool such as SMARTudm to see if the drive
    has logged any bad sectors, etc.

    http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip

    - Franc Zabkar

  7. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT), xbokZero@gmail.com put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    >>Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    >>have even zeroes the hard disk.
    >>
    >>The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    >>justify if it is hard disk corruption. The problem now is that
    >>diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass the disk. And
    >>personally I don't think the hard disk is broken because I can create
    >>and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    >>manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    > Run a DOS SMART diagnostic tool such as SMARTudm to see if the drive
    > has logged any bad sectors, etc.

    > http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip

    I second that. It is the only good way to diagnose the drive.

    Arno

  8. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ekgl6F7cuifU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT), xbokZero@gmail.com put
    > > finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > I have test the hard disk with WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    > > > Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    > > > have even zeroes the hard disk.
    > > >
    > > > The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    > > > justify if it is hard disk corruption. The problem now is that
    > > > diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass the disk. And
    > > > personally I don't think the hard disk is broken because I can create
    > > > and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    > > > manufacturer tool can zeroes the hard disk successfully.

    > > Run a DOS SMART diagnostic tool such as SMARTudm to see if the drive
    > > has logged any bad sectors, etc.

    > > http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip

    > I second that.

    Zabkar will be so pleased he has your sign of approval.

    > It is the only good way to diagnose the drive.

    Utterly clueless, as always from the babblebot.

    > Arno

  9. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    On Jul 22, 4:16*am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT), xbokZ...@gmail.com put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >I have test theharddiskwith WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    > >Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass! I
    > >have even zeroes theharddisk.

    > >The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    > >justify if it isharddiskcorruption. The problem now is that
    > >diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass thedisk. And
    > >personally I don't think theharddiskis broken because I can create
    > >and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    > >manufacturer tool can zeroes theharddisksuccessfully.

    > Run a DOS SMART diagnostic tool such as SMARTudm to see if the drive
    > has logged any bad sectors, etc.
    >
    > http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    Thank u and everyone for the feedback. I'll try the dos SMARTudm
    diagnostic first. Will update the thread in few days

  10. Re: Hard Disk Corruption After Fail Hibernate Wakeup

    xbokZero@gmail.com wrote in news:09de350e-e7cd-46ab-bdf3-6a73f5d636f0@r35g2000prm.googlegroups.com
    > On Jul 22, 4:16 am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT), xbokZ...@gmail.com put
    > > finger to keyboard and composed:
    > >
    > > > I have test theharddiskwith WD diagnostic tools - Data Lifeguard
    > > > Diagnostic for DOS (CD). Both Quick and Comprehensive test pass!
    > > > I have even zeroes theharddisk.

    > > > The notebook is still under warranty (age ~= 8 mth). But I do need to
    > > > justify if it isharddiskcorruption. The problem now is that
    > > > diagnostic software from HDD manufacturer pass thedisk. And
    > > > personally I don't think theharddiskis broken because I can create
    > > > and write partition using gparted (Linux partition tool) and the
    > > > manufacturer tool can zeroes theharddisksuccessfully.

    > > Run a DOS SMART diagnostic tool such as SMARTudm to see if the drive
    > > has logged any bad sectors, etc.

    The outcome of that should be clear.
    If there were any pending sectors they will have been reassigned already
    after that "manufacturer tool can zeroes theharddisksuccessfully"

    > > http://www.sysinfolab.com/files/smartudm.zip
    > >
    > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > --
    > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    > Thank u and everyone for the feedback. I'll try the dos SMARTudm
    > diagnostic first. Will update the thread in few days

+ Reply to Thread