Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008 - Storage

This is a discussion on Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008 - Storage ; Folks, We are trying to work our array work with the Windows Native DSM. We are an Active Standby array, and it seems to come up and work and failover fine. We have an error condition where we want the ...

  1. Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008

    Folks,
    We are trying to work our array work with the Windows Native DSM. We are an
    Active Standby array, and it seems to come up and work and failover fine.

    We have an error condition where we want the DSM to issue a failover Set
    Target Port Groups command. We are reporting the Unavailable state for the
    volume as per SPC, and returning Check condition, not ready, LU not
    accessible, Target port in Unavailable State as per SPC for IOs. But that
    does not seem to make the DSM issue a failover command.

    My question is:
    What are the requirements from the DSM perspective from a storage array when
    the storage array wants to trigger the DSM to issue a failover command for
    the Windows Native ALUA DSM?

  2. Re: Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008

    I am seeing the same behavior with our TPG storage processor.
    Have you made any preogress in determining the cause?

    On Jul 17, 10:03*pm, LaGeek wrote:
    > Folks,
    > We are trying to work our array work with the Windows Native DSM. We are an
    > Active Standby array, and it seems to come up and work and failover fine.
    >
    > We have an error condition where we want the DSM to issue a failover Set
    > Target Port Groups command. We are reporting the Unavailable state for the
    > volume as per SPC, and returning Check condition, not ready, LU not
    > accessible, Target port in Unavailable State as per SPC for IOs. But that
    > does not seem to make the DSM issue a failover command.
    >
    > My question is:
    > What are the requirements from the DSM perspective from a storage array when
    > the storage array wants to trigger the DSM to issue a failover command for
    > the Windows Native ALUA DSM?

  3. Re: Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008

    No we havent. I am not even sure how to get in touch with someone in the ALUA
    DSM team. It surprised me that this did not work, because it seems pretty
    basic...

    "Ed I" wrote:

    > I am seeing the same behavior with our TPG storage processor.
    > Have you made any preogress in determining the cause?
    >
    > On Jul 17, 10:03 pm, LaGeek wrote:
    > > Folks,
    > > We are trying to work our array work with the Windows Native DSM. We are an
    > > Active Standby array, and it seems to come up and work and failover fine.
    > >
    > > We have an error condition where we want the DSM to issue a failover Set
    > > Target Port Groups command. We are reporting the Unavailable state for the
    > > volume as per SPC, and returning Check condition, not ready, LU not
    > > accessible, Target port in Unavailable State as per SPC for IOs. But that
    > > does not seem to make the DSM issue a failover command.
    > >
    > > My question is:
    > > What are the requirements from the DSM perspective from a storage array when
    > > the storage array wants to trigger the DSM to issue a failover command for
    > > the Windows Native ALUA DSM?

  4. Re: Native ALUA DSM - Windows Server 2008

    Send email to mpio@microsoft.com

    LaGeek wrote:
    > No we havent. I am not even sure how to get in touch with someone in the ALUA
    > DSM team. It surprised me that this did not work, because it seems pretty
    > basic...
    >
    > "Ed I" wrote:
    >
    >> I am seeing the same behavior with our TPG storage processor.
    >> Have you made any preogress in determining the cause?
    >>
    >> On Jul 17, 10:03 pm, LaGeek wrote:
    >>> Folks,
    >>> We are trying to work our array work with the Windows Native DSM. We are an
    >>> Active Standby array, and it seems to come up and work and failover fine.
    >>>
    >>> We have an error condition where we want the DSM to issue a failover Set
    >>> Target Port Groups command. We are reporting the Unavailable state for the
    >>> volume as per SPC, and returning Check condition, not ready, LU not
    >>> accessible, Target port in Unavailable State as per SPC for IOs. But that
    >>> does not seem to make the DSM issue a failover command.
    >>>
    >>> My question is:
    >>> What are the requirements from the DSM perspective from a storage array when
    >>> the storage array wants to trigger the DSM to issue a failover command for
    >>> the Windows Native ALUA DSM?

+ Reply to Thread