Quality eSATA PCI card and cables? - Storage

This is a discussion on Quality eSATA PCI card and cables? - Storage ; I am currently running three Sonnet 500P eSATA enclosures on a Dell server using a 4-port Addonics eSATA PCI-X card. Everything works very well and has been very reliable. However, recently I had to do some maintenance on some adjacent ...

  1. Quality eSATA PCI card and cables?

    I am currently running three Sonnet 500P eSATA enclosures on a Dell
    server using a 4-port Addonics eSATA PCI-X card.

    Everything works very well and has been very reliable. However,
    recently I had to do some maintenance on some adjacent hardware, and
    merely brushed against the eSATA cables. Two of the three Sonnets
    went offline! Thanks to RAID, no data or access was lost, but it took
    a long time for the RAID mirroring to rebuild, during which time a
    drive failure could have meant loss of data.

    Are there better, higher quality PCI-X eSATA cards out there that have
    better eSATA connectors? The connectors on the Addonics, while they
    work, do not result in any sort of satisfying "snap" sound when cables
    are plugged into them.

    Any shared ideas or experience is very welcome.

  2. Re: Quality eSATA PCI card and cables?

    I've found big differences in cables themselves as to how hard it is to
    pull them off. I have one that just about slides off by itself and
    another that I smashed a cap off my video card with when it finally came
    loose.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  3. Re: Quality eSATA PCI card and cables?

    Previously TomViolin wrote:
    > I am currently running three Sonnet 500P eSATA enclosures on a Dell
    > server using a 4-port Addonics eSATA PCI-X card.

    > Everything works very well and has been very reliable. However,
    > recently I had to do some maintenance on some adjacent hardware, and
    > merely brushed against the eSATA cables. Two of the three Sonnets
    > went offline! Thanks to RAID, no data or access was lost, but it took
    > a long time for the RAID mirroring to rebuild, during which time a
    > drive failure could have meant loss of data.

    > Are there better, higher quality PCI-X eSATA cards out there that have
    > better eSATA connectors? The connectors on the Addonics, while they
    > work, do not result in any sort of satisfying "snap" sound when cables
    > are plugged into them.

    > Any shared ideas or experience is very welcome.

    Personally I think both the SATA and eSATA connectors
    show all the signs of ''design by comitee''. Even gigh
    quality variants are pretty bad. For eSATA I typically
    need several tries to figure out which way it gies in
    as it is non-obvious and there is no good conector guidance.

    Cheap, badly designed PC connectors. What else is new. PC
    hardwar sucks, but alternatives are either not available or
    far too expensive.

    Arno

  4. Re: Quality eSATA PCI card and cables?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:08:38 -0700 (PDT), TomViolin
    wrote:

    >I am currently running three Sonnet 500P eSATA enclosures on a Dell
    >server using a 4-port Addonics eSATA PCI-X card.
    >
    >Everything works very well and has been very reliable. However,
    >recently I had to do some maintenance on some adjacent hardware, and
    >merely brushed against the eSATA cables. Two of the three Sonnets
    >went offline! Thanks to RAID, no data or access was lost, but it took
    >a long time for the RAID mirroring to rebuild, during which time a
    >drive failure could have meant loss of data.
    >
    >Are there better, higher quality PCI-X eSATA cards out there that have
    >better eSATA connectors? The connectors on the Addonics, while they
    >work, do not result in any sort of satisfying "snap" sound when cables
    >are plugged into them.
    >
    >Any shared ideas or experience is very welcome.

    I am using a 2-port SiI3132 (Silicon Image) PCI-X eSATAII
    card (they make a 4-port). I know what you mean about the
    "feel", but I have had no problems even when I have moved
    the computer around on the desk.

  5. Re: Quality eSATA PCI card and cables?

    TomViolin wrote in news:ad550655-cbf8-42f1-a78f-c6f777c697bd@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com
    > I am currently running three Sonnet 500P eSATA enclosures on a Dell
    > server using a 4-port Addonics eSATA PCI-X card.

    > Everything works very well and has been very reliable.

    Apparently not.

    > However, recently I had to do some maintenance on some adjacent
    > hardware, and merely brushed against the eSATA cables.
    > Two of the three Sonnets went offline!

    See.

    > Thanks to RAID, no data or access was lost,

    Sounds more like a case of 'despite it being RAID, no data or access was lost'.

    > but it took a long time for the RAID mirroring to rebuild,
    > during which time a drive failure could have meant loss of data.

    If it hadn't been RAID you probably wouldn't have noticed anything
    at all.

    > Are there better, higher quality PCI-X eSATA cards out there that have
    > better eSATA connectors? The connectors on the Addonics, while they
    > work, do not result in any sort of satisfying "snap" sound when cables
    > are plugged into them.
    >
    > Any shared ideas or experience is very welcome.

+ Reply to Thread