Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate - Storage

This is a discussion on Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate - Storage ; I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original warranty replacements ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

  1. Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it yet
    other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are and
    whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup now
    because of their proven unreliability).

    Tony

  2. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Tony wrote:

    > I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the warranty replacements gotten directly from
    > Seagate failed just like the orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer.

    Then the system you were installing them in was killing them.

    > One of the original warranty replacements is still working,

    All that proves is that what killed the others doesnt kill all drives.

    > though I'm not really using it yet other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS. Has
    > anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are

    The system you are putting them in is killing them.

    > and whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    Its cant be either of those. If they were all failing at
    anything like that rate, the sellers would know about that.

    > (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but there's no way I'd use these drives in anything
    > less than a RAID 1 setup now because of their proven unreliability).

    Its the unreliability of the system you put them in thats proven.

    And if you want a high reliability, they need to be in separate systems.

  3. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Previously Tony wrote:
    > I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    > warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    > orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    > warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it yet
    > other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    > Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are and
    > whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    > (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    > there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup now
    > because of their proven unreliability).

    > Tony

    It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"
    attached. It seems Samsung and Hitachi are currently the
    way to go. That may aof course change at any time.

    Arno

  4. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    >> warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    >> orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer.

    > Then the system you were installing them in was killing them.

    You mean my provenably reliable desktop that I have used for years all of a
    sudden picks and chooses to destroy 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or
    Segate PATA drive or other drives I've had in it? I regularly SATA and PATA
    drives in this machine to test and setup other users' machines. So, given
    all the data of users experiencing high failure rates, you actually came to
    the conclusion that my system is bad? Totally bizarre, dude.

    >> One of the original warranty replacements is still working,

    > All that proves is that what killed the others doesnt kill all drives.
    >
    >> though I'm not really using it yet other than loading Windows and testing
    >> configs. The model is ST3320613AS. Has anyone the inside scoop on what
    >> the problem with these drives is/are

    > The system you are putting them in is killing them.
    >
    >> and whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB
    >> model?

    > Its cant be either of those. If they were all failing at
    > anything like that rate, the sellers would know about that.

    Check out the product reviews at NewEgg. I think the latest reviewer notes
    that he went through 8 drives looking for 2 good ones. Check it out.
    Something is up with these drives.

    >> (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    >> there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup
    >> now because of their proven unreliability).

    > Its the unreliability of the system you put them in thats proven.

    That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    Tony

  5. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > Previously Tony wrote:
    >> I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    >> warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    >> orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    >> warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it
    >> yet
    >> other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    >> Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are
    >> and
    >> whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    >> (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    >> there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup
    >> now
    >> because of their proven unreliability).

    >> Tony

    > It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    > quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"
    > attached. It seems Samsung and Hitachi are currently the
    > way to go. That may aof course change at any time.

    The 250 GB 7200.10 drive is getting rave reviews. Has there been a
    manufacturing location change between the time of 7200.10 and 7200.11
    drives? If so, then you may be onto something.

    Tony

  6. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Tony wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Tony wrote

    >>> I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    >>> warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like
    >>> the orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer.

    >> Then the system you were installing them in was killing them.

    > You mean my provenably reliable desktop

    No such animal as far as a new fault showing up is concerned, particularly
    when you increase the load on the 12V rail by adding extra drives.

    > that I have used for years all of a sudden picks and chooses to destroy 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or
    > Segate PATA drive or other drives I've had in it?

    All that indicates is that the Seagate drives were more sensitive to the fault.

    > I regularly SATA and PATA drives in this machine to test and setup other users' machines.

    Irrelevant to what happens when the number of drives is increased significantly.

    > So, given all the data of users experiencing high failure rates,

    No one got anything like the failure rate that you claimed to have seen.

    > you actually came to the conclusion that my system is bad?

    Nope, from the failure rate that no one else is seeing, actually.

    > Totally bizarre, dude.

    Nope, dud.

    >>> One of the original warranty replacements is still working,

    >> All that proves is that what killed the others doesnt kill all drives.

    >>> though I'm not really using it yet other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS. Has
    >>> anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are

    >> The system you are putting them in is killing them.

    >>> and whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    >> Its cant be either of those. If they were all failing at
    >> anything like that rate, the sellers would know about that.

    > Check out the product reviews at NewEgg.

    None of them have had anything like the failure rate you are claiming.

    > I think the latest reviewer notes that he went through 8 drives looking for 2 good ones. Check it out.

    No thanks, its clearly not what most see.

    > Something is up with these drives.

    Something is certainly up with your 'logic'

    >>> (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup
    >>> but there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a
    >>> RAID 1 setup now because of their proven unreliability).

    >> Its the unreliability of the system you put them in thats proven.

    > That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    Wrong, as always.

  7. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Tony wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Tony wrote

    >>> Then the system you were installing them in was killing them.

    >> You mean my provenably reliable desktop

    > No such animal as far as a new fault showing up is concerned, particularly
    > when you increase the load on the 12V rail by adding extra drives.

    You're obviously on the defensive for whatever reason. (Trolling!).

    >> that I have used for years all of a sudden picks and chooses to destroy
    >> 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or Segate PATA drive or other
    >> drives I've had in it?

    > All that indicates is that the Seagate drives were more sensitive to the
    > fault.
    >
    >> I regularly SATA and PATA drives in this machine to test and setup other
    >> users' machines.

    > Irrelevant to what happens when the number of drives is increased
    > significantly.
    >
    >> So, given all the data of users experiencing high failure rates,

    > No one got anything like the failure rate that you claimed to have seen.

    Even moreso! The latest post shows 8 drives failing for one user! Read all
    about it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148316.
    41% of the reviews rate it VERY POOR (one star, probably because it may not
    be possible to give zero stars). 50% rate the product 2 stars or less. It's
    clearly a defective product being delivered for whatever reason.

    >> you actually came to the conclusion that my system is bad?

    > Nope, from the failure rate that no one else is seeing, actually.

    Click on the above link and see.

    >> Totally bizarre, dude.

    > Nope, dud.

    >>> All that proves is that what killed the others doesnt kill all drives.

    >>> The system you are putting them in is killing them.

    >>> Its cant be either of those. If they were all failing at
    >>> anything like that rate, the sellers would know about that.

    >> Check out the product reviews at NewEgg.

    > None of them have had anything like the failure rate you are claiming.

    The link dude, the link. Read and learn.

    >> I think the latest reviewer notes that he went through 8 drives looking
    >> for 2 good ones. Check it out.

    > No thanks, its clearly not what most see.
    >
    >> Something is up with these drives.

    > Something is certainly up with your 'logic'

    >>> Its the unreliability of the system you put them in thats proven.

    >> That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    > Wrong, as always.

    OK troll. Buh bye!

    Logical users who aren't trolls and have the ability to reason, please post
    your experiences with this drive model as something is obviously awry.

    Tony\

  8. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Tony wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Tony wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> You mean my provenably reliable desktop

    >> No such animal as far as a new fault showing up is concerned, particularly when you increase the load on the 12V rail
    >> by adding extra drives.

    > You're obviously on the defensive for whatever reason.

    Nope, its you on the defensive when your nose is rubbed in your sillier claims.

    > (Trolling!).

    You wouldnt know what a real troll was if one bit you on your lard arse.

    >>> that I have used for years all of a sudden picks and chooses to destroy 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or
    >>> Segate PATA drive or other drives I've had in it?

    >> All that indicates is that the Seagate drives were more sensitive to the fault.

    >>> I regularly SATA and PATA drives in this machine to test and setup other users' machines.

    >> Irrelevant to what happens when the number of drives is increased significantly.

    >>> So, given all the data of users experiencing high failure rates,

    >> No one got anything like the failure rate that you claimed to have seen.

    > Even moreso! The latest post shows 8 drives failing for one user!

    Its no news that some systems kill drives.

    > Read all about it:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148316.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue.

    > 41% of the reviews rate it VERY POOR (one star, probably because it may not be possible to give zero stars).

    Irrelevant to how many got anything like the result you claimed to have seen.

    > 50% rate the product 2 stars or less.

    Irrelevant to how many got anything like the result you claimed to have seen.

    > It's clearly a defective product being delivered for whatever reason.

    How odd that the storagereview drive reliability database says nothing like that about that particular drive.

    >>> you actually came to the conclusion that my system is bad?

    >> Nope, from the failure rate that no one else is seeing, actually.

    > Click on the above link and see.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue.

    >>> Totally bizarre, dude.

    >> Nope, dud.

    >>> Check out the product reviews at NewEgg.

    >> None of them have had anything like the failure rate you are claiming.

    > The link dude, the link.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue, dud.

    > Read and learn.

    Nothing to 'learn' there, dud.

    >>> I think the latest reviewer notes that he went through 8 drives looking for 2 good ones. Check it out.

    >> No thanks, its clearly not what most see.

    >>> Something is up with these drives.

    >> Something is certainly up with your 'logic'

    >>> That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    >> Wrong, as always.

    > OK troll. Buh bye!

    Aint going nowhere, child.

    > Logical users who aren't trolls and have the ability to reason, please post your experiences with this drive model as
    > something is obviously awry.

    Pity about the storagereview drive reliability database, dud.

  9. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Tony wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Tony wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> You mean my provenably reliable desktop

    >> No such animal as far as a new fault showing up is concerned, particularly when you increase the load on the 12V rail
    >> by adding extra drives.

    > You're obviously on the defensive for whatever reason.

    Nope, its you on the defensive when your nose is rubbed in your sillier claims.

    > (Trolling!).

    You wouldnt know what a real troll was if one bit you on your lard arse.

    >>> that I have used for years all of a sudden picks and chooses to destroy 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or
    >>> Segate PATA drive or other drives I've had in it?

    >> All that indicates is that the Seagate drives were more sensitive to the fault.

    >>> I regularly SATA and PATA drives in this machine to test and setup other users' machines.

    >> Irrelevant to what happens when the number of drives is increased significantly.

    >>> So, given all the data of users experiencing high failure rates,

    >> No one got anything like the failure rate that you claimed to have seen.

    > Even moreso! The latest post shows 8 drives failing for one user!

    Its no news that some systems kill drives.

    > Read all about it:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148316.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue.

    > 41% of the reviews rate it VERY POOR (one star, probably because it may not be possible to give zero stars).

    Irrelevant to how many got anything like the result you claimed to have seen.

    > 50% rate the product 2 stars or less.

    Irrelevant to how many got anything like the result you claimed to have seen.

    > It's clearly a defective product being delivered for whatever reason.

    How odd that the storagereview drive reliability database says nothing like that about that particular drive.

    >>> you actually came to the conclusion that my system is bad?

    >> Nope, from the failure rate that no one else is seeing, actually.

    > Click on the above link and see.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue.

    >>> Totally bizarre, dude.

    >> Nope, dud.

    >>> Check out the product reviews at NewEgg.

    >> None of them have had anything like the failure rate you are claiming.

    > The link dude, the link.

    Just another fool that doesnt have a clue, dud.

    > Read and learn.

    Nothing to 'learn' there, dud.

    >>> I think the latest reviewer notes that he went through 8 drives looking for 2 good ones. Check it out.

    >> No thanks, its clearly not what most see.

    >>> Something is up with these drives.

    >> Something is certainly up with your 'logic'

    >>> That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    >> Wrong, as always.

    > OK troll. Buh bye!

    Aint going nowhere, child.

    > Logical users who aren't trolls and have the ability to reason, please post your experiences with this drive model as
    > something is obviously awry.

    Pity about the storagereview drive reliability database, dud.

  10. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    In article , "Tony" wrote:

    >"Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Tony wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> You mean my provenably reliable desktop

    >> No such animal as far as a new fault showing up is concerned, particularly
    >> when you increase the load on the 12V rail by adding extra drives.

    >You're obviously on the defensive for whatever reason. (Trolling!).
    >

    >>> that I have used for years all of a sudden picks and chooses to destroy
    >>> 7200.11 drives but not my Maxtor SATA or Segate PATA drive or other
    >>> drives I've had in it?

    >> All that indicates is that the Seagate drives were more sensitive to the
    >> fault.
    >>
    >>> I regularly SATA and PATA drives in this machine to test and setup other
    >>> users' machines.

    >> Irrelevant to what happens when the number of drives is increased
    >> significantly.
    >>
    >>> So, given all the data of users experiencing high failure rates,

    >> No one got anything like the failure rate that you claimed to have seen.

    >Even moreso! The latest post shows 8 drives failing for one user! Read all
    >about it:
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148316.
    >41% of the reviews rate it VERY POOR (one star, probably because it may not
    >be possible to give zero stars). 50% rate the product 2 stars or less. It's
    >clearly a defective product being delivered for whatever reason.
    >

    >>> you actually came to the conclusion that my system is bad?

    >> Nope, from the failure rate that no one else is seeing, actually.

    >Click on the above link and see.
    >

    >>> Totally bizarre, dude.

    >> Nope, dud.

    >>> Check out the product reviews at NewEgg.

    >> None of them have had anything like the failure rate you are claiming.

    >The link dude, the link. Read and learn.
    >

    >>> I think the latest reviewer notes that he went through 8 drives looking
    >>> for 2 good ones. Check it out.

    >> No thanks, its clearly not what most see.
    >>
    >>> Something is up with these drives.

    >> Something is certainly up with your 'logic'

    >>> That's not a logical conclusion given the existing information.

    >> Wrong, as always.

    >OK troll. Buh bye!
    >
    >Logical users who aren't trolls and have the ability to reason, please post
    >your experiences with this drive model as something is obviously awry.
    >
    >Tony\

    I have a pair of 320Giggers and a newly purchased 750GB drive, All seagate
    7200.11 series and they are fine. Running cool using my Antec 900 case with 2
    front 120mm fans.

  11. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    On or about Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:30:04 -0500 did "Tony"
    dribble thusly:

    >"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    >> Previously Tony wrote:
    >>> I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    >>> warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    >>> orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    >>> warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it
    >>> yet
    >>> other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    >>> Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are
    >>> and
    >>> whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    >>> (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    >>> there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup
    >>> now
    >>> because of their proven unreliability).

    >>> Tony

    >> It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    >> quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"
    >> attached. It seems Samsung and Hitachi are currently the
    >> way to go. That may aof course change at any time.

    >The 250 GB 7200.10 drive is getting rave reviews. Has there been a
    >manufacturing location change between the time of 7200.10 and 7200.11
    >drives? If so, then you may be onto something.

    I have two 250GB 7200.10 drives, two 750GB 7200.11 drives, and two 1TB Samsung
    Spinpoint F1 drives. I have had no problems with any of them, but the
    Samsung's are by far the fastest. The 7200.11's are actually disappointing
    with regards to performance.

  12. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    > It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    > quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"

    Maybe someone smoked or spitted inside the factory...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.10

  13. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Previously Tony wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    >> Previously Tony wrote:
    >>> I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    >>> warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    >>> orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    >>> warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it
    >>> yet
    >>> other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    >>> Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are
    >>> and
    >>> whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    >>> (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    >>> there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup
    >>> now
    >>> because of their proven unreliability).

    >>> Tony

    >> It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    >> quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"
    >> attached. It seems Samsung and Hitachi are currently the
    >> way to go. That may aof course change at any time.

    > The 250 GB 7200.10 drive is getting rave reviews. Has there been a
    > manufacturing location change between the time of 7200.10 and 7200.11
    > drives? If so, then you may be onto something.

    There has. Look into the archives of this group. Also reviews
    are often not longer-term valuations and often miss quality issues.

    Arno

  14. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously Tony wrote:
    > > I have gotten 5 drives and 4 of them failed within an hour. Yes, the
    > > warranty replacements gotten directly from Seagate failed just like the
    > > orginal 2 new ones purchased from an online retailer. One of the original
    > > warranty replacements is still working, though I'm not really using it yet
    > > other than loading Windows and testing configs. The model is ST3320613AS.
    > > Has anyone the inside scoop on what the problem with these drives is/are and
    > > whether or not it affects all 7200.11 drives or just the 320 GB model?

    > > (Aside: I bought the original 2 drives for a desktop RAID 0 setup but
    > > there's no way I'd use these drives in anything less than a RAID 1 setup now
    > > because of their proven unreliability).

    > > Tony

    > It seems that when Segate started manufacuring ih China, their
    > quality went to hell. Currently Seagate has a clear "stay away"
    > attached. It seems Samsung and Hitachi are currently the
    > way to go. That may aof course change at any time.
    >
    > Arno

    Within the past 6-10 months I read somewhere - possibly in this NG - where
    several persons had new Seagates die. The commonalities were Seagate and
    country of manufacture (Thailand). I remember the incident because at that time
    I was shopping for two, multi-hundred GB drives. I went with Hitachi SATA.

    I don't buy Chinese when the item must last. In general Chinese process control
    sucks; there are enough bad Chinese lines to blight the reputations of any that
    are good.

  15. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    I bought a 2.5" 160GB for my laptop.
    Had a problem. Ran Seatools, showed nothing, called Seagate.
    They couldn't figure it out, said drive must have a problem.
    Tried running Spinrite - it showed the drive making constant seek
    errors. Got a replacement. this one is making lots - not constant -
    seek errors. Seagate just blows it off and says we don't support
    anything but Seatools and it doesn't tell what the seek errors are. if
    it fails u have 5 years to replace it. I said - Ya, but that
    translates into a slow drive - he couldn't understand that so I gave
    up. SO seek errors are not important to Seagate.

    THEREFORE, Seagate sucks. Don't know if others are better - the orig
    drive had NO seek errors and one ECC.

    THAT IS WHY SEAGATE DRIVES ARE SLOW. Seek time IS the slowest thing
    that happens - if you have to do that 2-3 times to read one cluster -
    u can see where that goes.

  16. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    wrote in message
    >I bought a 2.5" 160GB for my laptop.
    > Had a problem. Ran Seatools, showed nothing, called Seagate.
    > They couldn't figure it out, said drive must have a problem.
    > Tried running Spinrite - it showed the drive making constant seek
    > errors. Got a replacement. this one is making lots - not constant -
    > seek errors. Seagate just blows it off and says we don't support
    > anything but Seatools and it doesn't tell what the seek errors are. if
    > it fails u have 5 years to replace it. I said - Ya, but that
    > translates into a slow drive - he couldn't understand that so I gave
    > up. SO seek errors are not important to Seagate.
    >
    > THEREFORE, Seagate sucks. Don't know if others are better - the orig
    > drive had NO seek errors and one ECC.
    >
    > THAT IS WHY SEAGATE DRIVES ARE SLOW. Seek time IS the slowest thing
    > that happens - if you have to do that 2-3 times to read one cluster -
    > u can see where that goes.

    My nightmare with 7200.11 drives continues! I am RMAing today, yet another
    set of 2 drives that Seagate sent me as replacements. I've lost count of how
    many drives have failed (7 now?). Literally, not one 7200.11 I have received
    has lasted for more than a couple of weeks, and all but one have died or
    started degrading immediately. Now the one that actually lived for 2 weeks
    is dead. I noticed also that other people are having the same kinds of
    problems with other models (500 GB) of the 7200.11 series of drives.

    Same failures as before: BIOS and Seatools only intermittantly see the
    drives. RAID card and Windows event logs show drive failures and errors.
    Relocated sectors and seek errors. Can't complete formatting. This time
    though, SeaTools actually noted that one drive failed the tests. The other
    is no longer seen by SeaTools or the system BIOS.

    I cannot in any way trust these drives with my data, so I am asking Seagate
    to replace with the prior 7200.10 series which appears to have a better
    track record in the forums than the unreliable 7200.11s. I'll keep my
    fingers crossed I guess.

    Tony

  17. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    In article , "Tony" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >>I bought a 2.5" 160GB for my laptop.
    >> Had a problem. Ran Seatools, showed nothing, called Seagate.
    >> They couldn't figure it out, said drive must have a problem.
    >> Tried running Spinrite - it showed the drive making constant seek
    >> errors. Got a replacement. this one is making lots - not constant -
    >> seek errors. Seagate just blows it off and says we don't support
    >> anything but Seatools and it doesn't tell what the seek errors are. if
    >> it fails u have 5 years to replace it. I said - Ya, but that
    >> translates into a slow drive - he couldn't understand that so I gave
    >> up. SO seek errors are not important to Seagate.
    >>
    >> THEREFORE, Seagate sucks. Don't know if others are better - the orig
    >> drive had NO seek errors and one ECC.
    >>
    >> THAT IS WHY SEAGATE DRIVES ARE SLOW. Seek time IS the slowest thing
    >> that happens - if you have to do that 2-3 times to read one cluster -
    >> u can see where that goes.

    >My nightmare with 7200.11 drives continues! I am RMAing today, yet another
    >set of 2 drives that Seagate sent me as replacements. I've lost count of how
    >many drives have failed (7 now?). Literally, not one 7200.11 I have received
    >has lasted for more than a couple of weeks, and all but one have died or
    >started degrading immediately. Now the one that actually lived for 2 weeks
    >is dead. I noticed also that other people are having the same kinds of
    >problems with other models (500 GB) of the 7200.11 series of drives.

    No offense but either something in your system is killing them or I am calling
    shennanigans on this one.

    >Same failures as before: BIOS and Seatools only intermittantly see the
    >drives. RAID card and Windows event logs show drive failures and errors.
    >Relocated sectors and seek errors. Can't complete formatting. This time
    >though, SeaTools actually noted that one drive failed the tests. The other
    >is no longer seen by SeaTools or the system BIOS.
    >
    >I cannot in any way trust these drives with my data, so I am asking Seagate
    >to replace with the prior 7200.10 series which appears to have a better
    >track record in the forums than the unreliable 7200.11s. I'll keep my
    >fingers crossed I guess.
    >
    >Tony

  18. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    Tony wrote:
    > My nightmare with 7200.11 drives continues! I am RMAing today, yet
    > another set of 2 drives that Seagate sent me as replacements. I've lost
    > count of how many drives have failed (7 now?). Literally, not one
    > 7200.11 I have received has lasted for more than a couple of weeks, and
    > all but one have died or started degrading immediately. Now the one that
    > actually lived for 2 weeks is dead. I noticed also that other people are
    > having the same kinds of problems with other models (500 GB) of the
    > 7200.11 series of drives.
    >
    > Same failures as before: BIOS and Seatools only intermittantly see the
    > drives. RAID card and Windows event logs show drive failures and errors.
    > Relocated sectors and seek errors. Can't complete formatting. This time
    > though, SeaTools actually noted that one drive failed the tests. The
    > other is no longer seen by SeaTools or the system BIOS.
    >
    > I cannot in any way trust these drives with my data, so I am asking
    > Seagate to replace with the prior 7200.10 series which appears to have a
    > better track record in the forums than the unreliable 7200.11s. I'll
    > keep my fingers crossed I guess.

    Just throwing some ideas out.

    What else (physically) has remained common between these sets of drives?
    Have you tested the SATA cable(s)? What about the SATA port that they
    are being attached to? Maybe your power supply is good enough for your
    previous drives, but it gets saturated when you put these additional
    drives in? Is there enough cooling in the locations you put the drives
    into? So maybe try moving the drives around a bit?

    Yousuf Khan

  19. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    "GMAN" wrote in message
    > In article , "Tony"
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> wrote in message
    >>>I bought a 2.5" 160GB for my laptop.
    >>> Had a problem. Ran Seatools, showed nothing, called Seagate.
    >>> They couldn't figure it out, said drive must have a problem.
    >>> Tried running Spinrite - it showed the drive making constant seek
    >>> errors. Got a replacement. this one is making lots - not constant -
    >>> seek errors. Seagate just blows it off and says we don't support
    >>> anything but Seatools and it doesn't tell what the seek errors are. if
    >>> it fails u have 5 years to replace it. I said - Ya, but that
    >>> translates into a slow drive - he couldn't understand that so I gave
    >>> up. SO seek errors are not important to Seagate.
    >>>
    >>> THEREFORE, Seagate sucks. Don't know if others are better - the orig
    >>> drive had NO seek errors and one ECC.
    >>>
    >>> THAT IS WHY SEAGATE DRIVES ARE SLOW. Seek time IS the slowest thing
    >>> that happens - if you have to do that 2-3 times to read one cluster -
    >>> u can see where that goes.

    >>My nightmare with 7200.11 drives continues! I am RMAing today, yet another
    >>set of 2 drives that Seagate sent me as replacements. I've lost count of
    >>how
    >>many drives have failed (7 now?). Literally, not one 7200.11 I have
    >>received
    >>has lasted for more than a couple of weeks, and all but one have died or
    >>started degrading immediately. Now the one that actually lived for 2 weeks
    >>is dead. I noticed also that other people are having the same kinds of
    >>problems with other models (500 GB) of the 7200.11 series of drives.

    > No offense but either something in your system is killing them or I am
    > calling
    > shennanigans on this one.

    Go read the NewEgg forums. I'm not the only one experiencing the high
    failure rate. I have put all kinds of SATA and PATA drives in my machine
    without a hitch. It's only the latest Seagate ones I'm getting that are
    failing. It doesn't matter whether they get attached to the RAID card or the
    motherboard SATA, they just go away quickly/immediately: the last one I
    received logged reallocated sectors IMMEDIATELY. Here are a FEW of
    MANY similar experiences with these drives logged recently at NewEgg:

    "Another Failure

    Pros: Fast, for a few days

    Cons: Died after a few days, Seagate diags said it overheated which is
    strange, none of the other five drives in same enclosure did. Sometimes
    would pass other diags, then repeated attempts to erase failed."

    "Caveat Emptor

    Pros: Does what I need it to without any issues.

    Cons: I bought one two years ago and it's still running strong with no
    problems, but the one I bought this past summer suddenly died in about
    two months."

    "WOW. DO NOT BUY!!

    Pros: Very fast for about an hour.

    Cons: They dont last more then an hour. 1 only lasted 5 mins.

    Other Thoughts: Basically bought 2hds for raid0..both failed. i sent one
    back to seagate one to newegg neweggs drive failed within 5 mins seagates
    seems to work so far.."

    >>Same failures as before: BIOS and Seatools only intermittantly see the
    >>drives. RAID card and Windows event logs show drive failures and errors.
    >>Relocated sectors and seek errors. Can't complete formatting. This time
    >>though, SeaTools actually noted that one drive failed the tests. The other
    >>is no longer seen by SeaTools or the system BIOS.
    >>
    >>I cannot in any way trust these drives with my data, so I am asking
    >>Seagate
    >>to replace with the prior 7200.10 series which appears to have a better
    >>track record in the forums than the unreliable 7200.11s. I'll keep my
    >>fingers crossed I guess.
    >>
    >>Tony

  20. Re: Seagate 7200.11 High Failure Rate

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
    > Tony wrote:
    >> My nightmare with 7200.11 drives continues! I am RMAing today, yet
    >> another set of 2 drives that Seagate sent me as replacements. I've lost
    >> count of how many drives have failed (7 now?). Literally, not one 7200.11
    >> I have received has lasted for more than a couple of weeks, and all but
    >> one have died or started degrading immediately. Now the one that actually
    >> lived for 2 weeks is dead. I noticed also that other people are having
    >> the same kinds of problems with other models (500 GB) of the 7200.11
    >> series of drives.
    >>
    >> Same failures as before: BIOS and Seatools only intermittantly see the
    >> drives. RAID card and Windows event logs show drive failures and errors.
    >> Relocated sectors and seek errors. Can't complete formatting. This time
    >> though, SeaTools actually noted that one drive failed the tests. The
    >> other is no longer seen by SeaTools or the system BIOS.
    >>
    >> I cannot in any way trust these drives with my data, so I am asking
    >> Seagate to replace with the prior 7200.10 series which appears to have a
    >> better track record in the forums than the unreliable 7200.11s. I'll keep
    >> my fingers crossed I guess.

    > Just throwing some ideas out.
    >
    > What else (physically) has remained common between these sets of drives?

    They are the same brand and model with the same firmware and the same
    origin of production. The shipping carrier has been the same. Not any errors
    logged without the Seagates in my daily use system and multiple components
    are new now than when this situation began (cables, fans, power supply). I
    have used the same APC 750VA UPS.

    > Have you tested the SATA cable(s)?

    I didn't "test" with a tester but have tried existing cables used on drives
    in the
    machine that have worked and are working without problem with other drives
    and also tried the new cables that came with the SATA RAID card.

    > What about the SATA port that they are being attached to?

    Tried on both the RAID card and on the motherboard SATA. Original drives
    failed while attached to the RAID card and others have failed as single
    drives on the motherboard SATA ports.

    > Maybe your power supply is good enough for your previous drives, but it
    > gets saturated when you put these additional drives in?

    Brand new Enermax 425W Modu 80+ with 3 rails. Power supply was
    a different unit when I first starting buying these drives. These
    single-platter,
    modern-technology drives don't use much power, even at spinup.

    > Is there enough cooling in the locations you put the drives into?

    Entry-level Chenbro SOHO server case with fan that blows over the hard
    disks with a dedicated fan from the front of the case thru the hard drive
    cage. The drives run at 31 deg C.

    >So maybe try moving the drives around a bit?

    Original failures were in a hot-swap cage and the latest failures
    were in the non-hotswap cage. Cooling is way above the level of
    pretty much all desktop cases with a 120 mm at the rear of the
    case, the dedicated hard drive fan and the power supply with a
    120 mm fan in it. Yes I run the fans at low speed but there is
    plenty of airflow as temps of everything are in the low 30's.

    Again (and again) though, that there are so many buyers of these
    drives experiencing similar failures says something is up elsewhere.

    I told Seagate that if they intend to ship me yet 2 more drives of
    the same kind, they may want to send them via another carrier
    in case they are being mishandled in some way in shipment.
    I told them that I don't intend to keep sending these drives back
    to them at ten bucks a pop, and my time is valuable and my
    data needs a reliable place to reside! I also asked for a final
    solution to the problem perhaps sending out a different model
    or refunding my out-of-pocket costs so I can go out and buy
    another brand (that may be the ultimate test that I will be
    performing if Seagate gives me a refund). They are going
    to contact me again later today.

    Tony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast