Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows - Storage

This is a discussion on Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows - Storage ; Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a library of images as large files under NTFS, rather ...

  1. Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the
    image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a
    library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a
    large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
    partitions.

    --
    Will

  2. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote

    > Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

    If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
    the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

    > The point is I want to have a library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a large number
    > of physical drives, each of which would have one or more partitions.

    Not clear what the first part of that means.

  3. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote:
    > Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the
    > image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a
    > library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a
    > large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
    > partitions.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    Bootitng
    Image for Windows
    Image for DOS
    Image for Linux

    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  4. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Will wrote
    >
    >> Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
    >> the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

    > If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
    > the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

    I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the backup
    image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't find any option
    to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive. Instead it just
    wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

    --
    Will

  5. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Will wrote
    >>
    >>> Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
    >>> the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

    >> If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
    >> the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

    > I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the backup
    > image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't find any option
    > to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive. Instead it just
    > wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

    The terabyteunlimited utilites will restore to the start of any free
    space and also overwrite a partition. Using bootitng you can then slide
    and resize partitions any way you want, or make a temporary partition to
    make the free space start where you want the restored partition. Note
    that the Image utilities are in their versions 2, while bootitng, which
    can also do partitions, makes incompatible ver. 1 images. However you
    can also dowload ver. 1 of the Image utilites when you buy the ver. 2;
    you can intall both versions of Image for Windows. The ver.2 Image
    products can do a byte-by-byte verify of a restore.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  6. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    PS Image for Windows can image the partition it's running from using
    "phylock," but I don't think it's a great idea. If you do that, close
    all programs. I trierd it and had something get out of synch from
    running some portable apps from another partition while imaging; one of
    them wouldn't start up any more when testing a rostore of the image.
    Howevere, using bootitng I have a recent bootable copy of C: on there
    (it's just 20 gigs, my data is on another shared partition). I can boot
    to the copy, and run the same portable apps while imaging the original,
    which is then not active. But the simple way would be to boot to a CD or
    floppy of Image for DOS (you could use bootitng but you'd get the ver. 1
    image -- "bing" will be updated to ver. 2 eventually -- and Image for
    DOS can be set not to image the page file and hibernate file).

    My 20 gig C: has about 5 gigs on it not including the page file, and it
    takes about 6 minutes to image and verify it byte-by-byte.

    It you set the images to be in segments 4 gigs or less, you can later
    burn them onto DVD from your NTFS partition.

    You can try everything in trial versions -- they're offering bootitng
    and the 3 Image products for $50 together. I think Image for DOS is $20.

    If you're really broke, you can just use a CD or floppy of BING. It will
    not require registration (forgive me, terabyte!). Just go into
    maintenance mode when it starts up after deciding not to install it.
    Remember, it makes ver. 1 images (the Image products are in ver. 2).
    Also it doesn't do byte-by-byte restore verification. Or you could use a
    CD of BING to manage partitions and buy Image for DOS to do the imaging.
    Or you could go the whole hog and buy BING and be able to boot multiple
    C: partitions.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  7. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Will wrote

    >>> Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

    >> If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
    >> the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

    > I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
    > backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
    > find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

    Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the entire physical drive, obviously.

    > Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

    Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like on a
    particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions on that drive.

  8. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Will wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Will wrote

    >>> If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
    >>> the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

    >> I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
    >> backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
    >> find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

    > Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the entire
    > physical drive, obviously.
    >
    >> Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire
    >> drive.

    > Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like
    > on a
    > particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions
    > on that drive.

    Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the boot CD
    you can create from TrueImage?

    And probably you are using version 10?

    The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be
    for version 9.

    --
    Will

  9. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Will wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
    >>> backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
    >>> find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

    >> Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the
    >> entire physical drive, obviously.

    >>> Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

    >> Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like on a
    >> particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions on that drive.

    > Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the boot CD you can create from TrueImage?

    I do it both ways depending on the circumstances.

    > And probably you are using version 10?

    I do now, but have used 9 previously.

    > The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be for version 9.

    No to both.

  10. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    "Will" schreef in bericht
    news:cs2dnbPNut5zdffVnZ2dnUVZ_t_inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
    > the image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have
    > a library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index
    > a large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
    > partitions.
    >
    > --
    > Will

    Look for Clonezilla.

    Good luck!
    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  11. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    "Rod Speed" wrote in

    > I do now, but have used 9 previously.
    >
    >> The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may
    >> also be for version 9.

    > No to both.

    For Vista compatibility you need ver. 10 or 11.

  12. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    The Coward Robert Ford wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> I do now, but have used 9 previously.

    >>> The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be for version 9.

    >> No to both.

    > For Vista compatibility you need ver. 10 or 11.

    Not for the particular capability he was talking about you dont.

  13. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Will wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Will wrote

    >>> Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the
    >>> entire physical drive, obviously.

    >>> Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like
    >>> on a
    >>> particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions
    >>> on that drive.

    >> Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the boot
    >> CD you can create from TrueImage?

    > I do it both ways depending on the circumstances.
    >
    >> And probably you are using version 10?

    > I do now, but have used 9 previously.
    >
    >> The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also
    >> be for version 9.

    > No to both.

    What are the step by step instructions how to recover a TrueImage TIB to a
    part of a disk that has no partition on it using the boot CD?

    --
    Will

  14. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    Will wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Will wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the
    >>> boot CD you can create from TrueImage?

    >> I do it both ways depending on the circumstances.

    >>> And probably you are using version 10?

    >> I do now, but have used 9 previously.

    >>> The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be for version 9.

    >> No to both.

    > What are the step by step instructions how to recover a TrueImage TIB to a part of a disk that has no partition on it
    > using the boot CD?

    Boot the CD, select Recovery, select the TIB you want to restore,
    tick Restore Disks or Partions, tick the PARTITION you want to
    restore, NOT the entire disk, on the Restored Partiton Location
    screen, select the partition or unallocated space you restore
    the partition to. Specify the type of partition you want to create,
    then on the Restored Partition Size page, you get to specify how
    the restored partition occupys the free space you have specified
    the partition will be restored to. That free space may be unallocated
    space or a partition you have chosen to overwrite. You can specify
    more than one partition to be restored. If you only specify one to be
    restored, you eventually get to a Proceed screen with the summary
    of what you have specified to do displayed.

    Thats all with TI 9 and I went thru the screens manually
    to be sure that I wasnt working from memory.

  15. Re: Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 19:33:17 -0700, "Will"
    wrote:

    >Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the
    >image to a file on an NTFS file system? The point is I want to have a
    >library of images as large files under NTFS, rather than having to index a
    >large number of physical drives, each of which would have one or more
    >partitions.

    Another great program that many people seem to not know about is
    Drive Snapshot:
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

    It's free to try. The program is 240k in size and...

    Ed Light wrote:
    >>My 20 gig C: has about 5 gigs on it not including the page file, and it takes
    >>about 6 minutes to image and verify it byte-by-byte.

    My drive is the same size, and Drive Snapshot does it in 4 minutes.
    But then Snapshot is written in assembly, and has no bloat.

+ Reply to Thread