USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing - Storage

This is a discussion on USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing - Storage ; Hello... I have a USB memory stick and everytime I insert it into a PC (running WinXP pro) symantec finds 3 x 'loader.exe' on it. I have formmatted the stick a number of times but each time Auto protect keeps ...

  1. USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    Hello...

    I have a USB memory stick and everytime I insert it into a PC (running
    WinXP pro) symantec finds 3 x 'loader.exe' on it.

    I have formmatted the stick a number of times but each time Auto
    protect keeps finding this worm.

    Could it be that there is something built into the memory stick that
    formatting will not wipe, there is nothing showing on the stick
    itself, but on 3 different machines the antivirus has found this
    trojan horse 'loader.exe'...

    Maybe I should throw it away.

  2. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    alo wrote in news:2l8k6457dtb97tvct3mom01nindfp5a1vb@
    4ax.com:

    > Hello...
    >
    > I have a USB memory stick and everytime I insert it into a PC (running
    > WinXP pro) symantec finds 3 x 'loader.exe' on it.
    >
    > I have formmatted the stick a number of times but each time Auto
    > protect keeps finding this worm.
    >
    > Could it be that there is something built into the memory stick that
    > formatting will not wipe, there is nothing showing on the stick
    > itself, but on 3 different machines the antivirus has found this
    > trojan horse 'loader.exe'...
    >
    > Maybe I should throw it away.

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-2575.html

  3. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  4. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:45:58 -0700, Ed Light
    wrote:

    >I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

    How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    Tks

  5. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    Previously alo wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:45:58 -0700, Ed Light
    > wrote:

    >>I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

    > How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    > twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool. You may want to apply a
    disk-wiper first (one overwrite is enough).

    Arno

  6. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    "Arno Wagner" schreef in bericht
    > Previously alo wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:45:58 -0700, Ed Light
    >> wrote:

    >>>I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

    >> How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    >> twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    > Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool.

    No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
    prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just rightclick on
    "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the management console he should
    pick disk managment and then the drives appear at the right / bottom of the
    screen. Then he can right click on the usb stick's partitions and remove
    them and afterward create new ones as well.

    Good luck to OP!

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

  7. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    "Rene" wrote in

    > No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
    > prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just
    > rightclick on "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the
    > management console he should pick disk managment and then the drives
    > appear at the right / bottom of the screen. Then he can right click on
    > the usb stick's partitions and remove them and afterward create new
    > ones as well.
    >
    > Good luck to OP!
    >
    > Yours sincerely,
    > Rene

    First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
    replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
    too and reinstall.

  8. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    "alo" wrote in message news:6vdn64pvh2fos8jqj4kg6nhf4mighq2vfv@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:45:58 -0700, Ed Light
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think that deleting the partition and making a new one will fix it.

    That is unlikely. If you quick format the flash drive, but loader.exe comes back,
    then you have malware on you system partition. Solve that problem first.

    > How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    > twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    Of course. You can even unpartition it by zeroing the MBR.

  9. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    Previously Rene wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" schreef in bericht
    >> Previously alo wrote:

    >>> How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    >>> twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    >> Yes. Just use the standard fromatting tool.

    > No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
    > prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition.

    Sorry, meant the "standard parrtitioning tool".

    Arno

  10. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:20:20 GMT, The Coward Robert Ford
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >"Rene" wrote in
    >
    >> No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
    >> prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just
    >> rightclick on "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the
    >> management console he should pick disk managment and then the drives
    >> appear at the right / bottom of the screen. Then he can right click on
    >> the usb stick's partitions and remove them and afterward create new
    >> ones as well.
    >>
    >> Good luck to OP!
    >>
    >> Yours sincerely,
    >> Rene

    >First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
    >replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
    >too and reinstall.

    I'm wondering if the Trojan autoruns whenever the OP inserts his/her
    USB drive. In this way all his/her XP machines would have become
    infected.

    - Franc Zabkar

  11. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    alo wrote:
    > How do I go about deleting the partition... I have formatted it
    > twice.... is it possible to partition a USB memory stick with WinXP ?

    I recommend bootitng. You can make a CD or floppy of it, boot that, skip
    install and go into maintenance, and manage partitions. No charge unless
    you install it past the trial period. It's a bit of a puzzle, though.
    But excellent. They have great support on their newsgroup. Deleting a
    partition and making a new one should be pretty simple. If it's NTFS
    you'll have to format it in Windows. To assign a desired drive letter,
    go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk
    Management and right-click on the drive.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  12. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:20:20 GMT, The Coward Robert Ford
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>"Rene" wrote in
    >>
    >>> No, that is not enough, that just formats it (of fromats, whatever You
    >>> prefer ;-)) and does not remove the partition. OP should just
    >>> rightclick on "My (His) computer" and choose "manage". In the
    >>> management console he should pick disk managment and then the drives
    >>> appear at the right / bottom of the screen. Then he can right click on
    >>> the usb stick's partitions and remove them and afterward create new
    >>> ones as well.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck to OP!
    >>>
    >>> Yours sincerely,
    >>> Rene

    >>First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
    >>replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
    >>too and reinstall.

    > I'm wondering if the Trojan autoruns whenever the OP inserts his/her
    > USB drive. In this way all his/her XP machines would have become
    > infected.

    That would be really bad. And I think this is technologically
    doable. Solution for the stick would be to wipe (completely
    overwrite) on a Mac or Linux box. Note, that if this is U3 trash,
    it may present itself as two drives on USB.

    For the infected computers, look up disinfection info on the web.

    Arno

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

  13. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    "Eric Gisin" wrote in
    news:L_SdnfE9PYAjfPbVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@posted.unise rvecommunications:

    > That is unlikely. If you quick format the flash drive, but loader.exe
    > comes back, then you have malware on you system partition. Solve that
    > problem first.

    If it is malware on his boot HDD then why isn't Norton doing it's job and
    detecting it there? I would uninstall Nortonn and install free Avast and
    have it do a boot time scan and see what it comes up with. Uninstalling
    Norton is not for the faint of heart though. One needss to go to their
    website and get their uinstaler for a clean uninstall.

  14. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    On 3 Jul 2008 00:37:50 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:20:20 GMT, The Coward Robert Ford
    >> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>>"Rene" wrote in

    >>>First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
    >>>replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
    >>>too and reinstall.

    >> I'm wondering if the Trojan autoruns whenever the OP inserts his/her
    >> USB drive. In this way all his/her XP machines would have become
    >> infected.

    >That would be really bad. And I think this is technologically
    >doable.

    It's been a feature of Windows since Win95. Just put anything you want
    to run automatically in an autorun.inf file.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorun#Microsoft_Windows
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorun...torun.inf_file

    >Solution for the stick would be to wipe (completely
    >overwrite) on a Mac or Linux box. Note, that if this is U3 trash,
    >it may present itself as two drives on USB.

    The solution on a Windows box is to disable autorun for selected
    drives, preferably all of them.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorun...Run_capability

    >For the infected computers, look up disinfection info on the web.
    >
    >Arno

    - Franc Zabkar

  15. Re: USB memory stick has 'loader.exe' constantly appearing

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6d2lauFhu01U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > > > First he should read the link I posted and make sure it is not a trojan
    > > > replicating from his OS hdd. If it is he should do a secure wipe of the OS
    > > > too and reinstall.

    > > I'm wondering if the Trojan autoruns whenever the OP inserts his/her
    > > USB drive. In this way all his/her XP machines would have become
    > > infected.

    > That would be really bad.

    > And I think this is technologically doable.

    No, really? Technologically, no less.

    > Solution for the stick would be to wipe (completely overwrite)

    > on a Mac or Linux box.

    Yeah, obviously Windows is no good.

    > Note, that if this is U3 trash,
    > it may present itself as two drives on USB.
    >
    > For the infected computers, look up disinfection info on the web.
    >
    > Arno
    >
    > > - Franc Zabkar
    > > --
    > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

+ Reply to Thread