ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions - Storage

This is a discussion on ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions - Storage ; Hello, We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via ISCSI. When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on the drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS ...

  1. ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    Hello,

    We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via ISCSI.
    When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on the
    drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS permissions remain
    OK. I have contacted storevault and they pointed me to an MS KB article,
    which makes the server sevice dependant on the ISCSI service. This seemed to
    have no affect. The server service does have a dependency on the ISCSI
    service in the registry. The iscsi initiator is set to logon to the volume
    automatically and the volume is set as persistent. Storevault have no more
    ideas, and pointed me in the direction of Microsoft PSS!

    Any ideas would be appreciated

    Thanks

    Matt

  2. Re: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    If you restart the "Server" service, does this restore these permissions?

    Regards,
    John

    Visit my blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner

    "legpeg2008" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via ISCSI.
    > When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on the
    > drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS permissions

    remain
    > OK. I have contacted storevault and they pointed me to an MS KB article,
    > which makes the server sevice dependant on the ISCSI service. This seemed

    > have no affect. The server service does have a dependency on the ISCSI
    > service in the registry. The iscsi initiator is set to logon to the volume
    > automatically and the volume is set as persistent. Storevault have no more
    > ideas, and pointed me in the direction of Microsoft PSS!
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Matt

  3. Re: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870964/en-us

    " The server service does have a dependency on the ISCSI
    service in the registry. "

    It should have one.

    "legpeg2008" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via ISCSI.
    > When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on the
    > drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS permissions
    > remain OK. I have contacted storevault and they pointed me to an MS KB
    > article, which makes the server sevice dependant on the ISCSI service.
    > This seemed to have no affect. The server service does have a dependency
    > on the ISCSI service in the registry. The iscsi initiator is set to logon
    > to the volume automatically and the volume is set as persistent.
    > Storevault have no more ideas, and pointed me in the direction of
    > Microsoft PSS!
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Matt

  4. Re: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    Thanks!

    That seems to work. Simple solutions are the best! Why though; as surely
    the service was restarted when the server rebooted!

    Matt

    John Toner [MVP] wrote:
    > If you restart the "Server" service, does this restore these permissions?
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >
    > Visit my blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    >
    > "legpeg2008" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via ISCSI.
    >> When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on the
    >> drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS permissions

    > remain
    >> OK. I have contacted storevault and they pointed me to an MS KB article,
    >> which makes the server sevice dependant on the ISCSI service. This seemed

    >> have no affect. The server service does have a dependency on the ISCSI
    >> service in the registry. The iscsi initiator is set to logon to the volume
    >> automatically and the volume is set as persistent. Storevault have no more
    >> ideas, and pointed me in the direction of Microsoft PSS!
    >>
    >> Any ideas would be appreciated
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Matt

  5. Re: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    You're right, after rebooting the server service is restarted, but it's
    starting too soon. You are having a timing issue that is causing this
    behavior. If you're using any multipathing software, you'll need to contact
    your multipath software vendor about this issue.

    In the iSCSI initiator, do you have any devices listed in the "Bound
    Volumes/Devices" tab? If not, this will likely be the cause of your timing
    issue. Try adding your mount points here and see if it makes a difference.

    "donotspam" <""mattj\"@peggonleg.eclipse.co.uk(donotspam)"> wrote in message
    > Thanks!
    >
    > That seems to work. Simple solutions are the best! Why though; as surely
    > the service was restarted when the server rebooted!
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > John Toner [MVP] wrote:
    > > If you restart the "Server" service, does this restore these

    permissions?

    > > Regards,
    > > John
    > >
    > > Visit my blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    > >
    > > "legpeg2008" wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> We use a storevault SAN S550 and our file server connects to it via

    ISCSI.
    > >> When we reboot the file server it loses all the share permissions on

    the
    > >> drive that is ISCSI connected to the storevault! The NTFS permissions

    > > remain
    > >> OK. I have contacted storevault and they pointed me to an MS KB

    article,
    > >> which makes the server sevice dependant on the ISCSI service. This

    seemed
    > >> have no affect. The server service does have a dependency on the ISCSI
    > >> service in the registry. The iscsi initiator is set to logon to the

    volume
    > >> automatically and the volume is set as persistent. Storevault have no

    more
    > >> ideas, and pointed me in the direction of Microsoft PSS!
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas would be appreciated
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Matt

  6. RE: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    Another cause for this is that the LUNs are formatted as Dynamic disks from
    within windows. If the LUNs are formatted as Basic disks then they start up
    ok.

  7. Re: ISCSI drive loses windows share permissions

    > Another cause for this is that the LUNs are formatted as Dynamic disks

    from
    > within windows. If the LUNs are formatted as Basic disks then they start

    up
    > ok.

    correct, iSCSI does not support Dynamic disk on older OS's

    "Dynamic disks on Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000
    Configuring volumes on iSCSI disks as Dynamic disk volumes using the
    Microsoft software iSCSI initiator is not currently supported. It has been
    observed that timing issues may prevent dynamic disk volumes on iSCSI disks
    from being reactivated at system startup.

    The use of dynamic disk volumes with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
    is supported. "

    see iSCSI User Guide:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1af/uguide.doc

+ Reply to Thread