LACIE External Hard Drives - Storage

This is a discussion on LACIE External Hard Drives - Storage ; Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives? Opinions? Thanks....

  1. LACIE External Hard Drives

    Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?

    Opinions?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    On Jun 25, 7:35 am, Tony of Dyker Beach wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?
    >
    > Opinions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've had a LaCie Quadra 500GB for about a year now. It has 4
    interfaces: USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 and eSATA. I use the
    eSATA interface and it's really fast. The internal drive is a Samsung
    and I get well over 80 MB/s sustained transfer rate through eSATA.
    USB 2.0 will undoubtedly be somewhat slower. One think to note: the
    drive came formatted for Mac OS (HFS not even FAT32) so Windows won't
    recognize it out of the box. I had to delete the partition and
    recreate and format it with NTFS for Vista.

  3. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Previously Tony wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?

    > Opinions?

    > Thanks.

    It seems you can get lucky and have good drives in there or
    get unlucky and have bad ones. This is not a "quality"
    product, despite its appearance. They take the cheapest drives
    they can get.

    Arno

  4. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:39:04 -0700 (PDT), RonnieJP
    wrote:

    >On Jun 25, 7:35 am, Tony of Dyker Beach wrote:
    >> Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?
    >>
    >> Opinions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >I've had a LaCie Quadra 500GB for about a year now. It has 4
    >interfaces: USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 and eSATA. I use the
    >eSATA interface and it's really fast. The internal drive is a Samsung
    >and I get well over 80 MB/s sustained transfer rate through eSATA.
    >USB 2.0 will undoubtedly be somewhat slower. One think to note: the
    >drive came formatted for Mac OS (HFS not even FAT32) so Windows won't
    >recognize it out of the box. I had to delete the partition and
    >recreate and format it with NTFS for Vista.

    Thanks for the input RonnieJP!

    Greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    On 25 Jun 2008 21:04:59 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously Tony wrote:
    >> Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?

    >> Opinions?

    >> Thanks.

    >It seems you can get lucky and have good drives in there or
    >get unlucky and have bad ones. This is not a "quality"
    >product, despite its appearance. They take the cheapest drives
    >they can get.

    Guess that can be said for all of them.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Tony of Dyker Beach wrote in news:4vg764dvircc1u1ucf2cif7jotd9fep4hp@
    4ax.com:

    > Guess that can be said for all of them.
    >
    > Thanks.

    My 1TB Comstar external uses 2 500GB Hitachi Dekstars, they are not crap.
    My 500GB Acomdata external uses Western Digital WD50 00AAVS-00ZTB0. Are
    those crap?

  7. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Tony of Dyker Beach wrote:
    > On 25 Jun 2008 21:04:59 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >
    >> Previously Tony wrote:
    >>> Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?

    >>> Opinions?

    >>> Thanks.

    >> It seems you can get lucky and have good drives in there or
    >> get unlucky and have bad ones. This is not a "quality"
    >> product, despite its appearance. They take the cheapest drives
    >> they can get.

    > Guess that can be said for all of them.

    Nope, the hard drive manufacturers use their own drives in their external enclosures.

  8. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Previously The Coward Robert Ford wrote:
    > Tony of Dyker Beach wrote in news:4vg764dvircc1u1ucf2cif7jotd9fep4hp@
    > 4ax.com:

    >> Guess that can be said for all of them.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > My 1TB Comstar external uses 2 500GB Hitachi Dekstars, they are not crap.
    > My 500GB Acomdata external uses Western Digital WD50 00AAVS-00ZTB0. Are
    > those crap?

    The WD have interface issues, but it they work in the enclosure,
    then they are reasobable. But that is not the point. The point is
    whether you can depend on good drives being used or whether these are
    spot-market drives, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

    Arno

  9. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Arno Wagner wrote in

    > The WD have interface issues, but it they work in the enclosure,
    > then they are reasobable. But that is not the point. The point is
    > whether you can depend on good drives being used or whether these are
    > spot-market drives, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
    >
    > Arno

    I've had no issues with it and it is very quiet so I'm happy with it.

  10. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Tony of Dyker Beach wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?
    >
    > Opinions?

    I'm using a 500GB USB-only version. It's been working for over a year
    now, a friend of mine has the exact same unit, and he's in love with it
    for some reason. Probably because he likes the convenience of moving the
    drive around from system to system. I tend to keep it attached to one
    system mostly, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

    I was a little surprised by how fast it really is, despite the fact that
    it's attached through USB rather than Firewire or eSATA; it's just
    barely slower than my internal drives. Also the drive as it originally
    came, came formatted as FAT32, which is perfect because that's something
    that my dual-boot Windows/Linux systems understand right out of the box.

    Yousuf Khan

  11. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    On Jun 28, 4:10*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > Tony of Dyker Beach wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with these "Lacie" drives?

    > > Opinions?

    > I'm using a 500GB USB-only version. It's been working for over a year
    > now, a friend of mine has the exact same unit, and he's in love with it
    > for some reason. Probably because he likes the convenience of moving the
    > drive around from system to system. I tend to keep it attached to one
    > system mostly, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
    >
    > I was a little surprised by how fast it really is, despite the fact that
    > it's attached through USB rather than Firewire or eSATA; it's just
    > barely slower than my internal drives. Also the drive as it originally
    > came, came formatted as FAT32, which is perfect because that's something
    > that my dual-boot Windows/Linux systems understand right out of the box.
    >
    > * * * * Yousuf Khan

    With any external drive you do need to happy that there is adequate
    cooling.

    From memory - so please correct me if I am wrong - not all Lacie
    cases have fans.

    Michael

  12. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > With any external drive you do need to happy that there is adequate
    > cooling.
    >
    > From memory - so please correct me if I am wrong - not all Lacie
    > cases have fans.

    Yes, this particular LaCie did have built-in cooling. I don't know
    whether they all have it or not.

    Yousuf Khan

  13. Re: LACIE External Hard Drives

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6cimqkF3gvskrU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously The Coward Robert Ford wrote:
    > > Tony of Dyker Beach wrote in news:4vg764dvircc1u1ucf2cif7jotd9fep4hp@4ax.com:

    > > > Guess that can be said for all of them.

    there's a name for it: good business sense.

    > > > Thanks.
    > > >

    > > My 1TB Comstar external uses 2 500GB Hitachi Dekstars, they are not crap.

    No? You an expert?

    > > My 500GB Acomdata external uses Western Digital WD50 00AAVS-00ZTB0.

    > > Are those crap?

    Why are you asking since you obviously are an expert.

    > The WD have interface issues, but it they work in the enclosure,
    > then they are reasobable. But that is not the point. The point is
    > whether you can depend on good drives being used or whether these are

    > spot-market drives, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

    Ah yes, you never know when harddrive manufacturers order the
    'special' batch, with issues specifically tailored to the spot market.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread