partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp - Storage

This is a discussion on partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp - Storage ; Hi, I've got a Dell laptop, with Vista Home Premium, and I love it. I need to install XP as well, and make it a dual boot system, because I want to run some audio software using XP. Right now, ...

  1. partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Hi,

    I've got a Dell laptop, with Vista Home Premium, and I love it.

    I need to install XP as well, and make it a dual boot system, because I want
    to run some audio software using XP.

    Right now, my ~300GB drive is partitioned as follows:

    > 78MB: Healthy EISA partition, which I cannot delete using Disk Management.
    > RECOVERY: 10GB.
    > C: (Vista), using 12 out of 80 GB, haven't been able to shrink it further.
    > 80GB unallocated - this used to be in C:, then I shrank C:
    > DATA: 90GB
    > FREE SPACE: 40GB

    I want to create a new partition to install XP on, but cannot do so b/c I
    have four partitions already. I cannot delete the EISI partition - I would,
    but am unable to.

    What's my best approach here?

    Should I get a good disk partition software (Disk Magic isn't (yet)
    Vista-ready), move & resize my partitions as I want them, then install XP
    (and fix the MBR)? If so, any recommendations?

    Or should I backup everything and wipe the whole disk clean, then install
    XP, partitioning the drive into four parts (Recovery, VISTA, XP & DATA)? If
    I do that, I don't know if I can install Vista - Dell didn't include
    installation disks, they included recovery disks. Would I be able to use
    those disks to install Vista on a specific partition, or would they just
    wipe my disk clean and return it to factory install state?

    Many thanks!

    Matthew

  2. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    bootitng could do what you need. I ran the Vista demo along side XP with
    that. It's a little challenging to figure out, but the newsgroup is
    very responsive.

    You can have 4 primary partitions working together at a time, but lots
    of them on the disk. I put all my data partitions as volumes in one
    extended partition. While you have more than 4 primaries you have to use
    "bing" as the partition manager. It can manage them from its HD
    installation, or a floppy, or a CD.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  3. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    MATT wrote:
    > I want to create a new partition to install XP on, but cannot do so b/c
    > I have four partitions already. I cannot delete the EISI partition - I
    > would, but am unable to.

    Do you know what's on the EISI partition? Do you ever use it?

    > What's my best approach here?
    >
    > Should I get a good disk partition software (Disk Magic isn't (yet)
    > Vista-ready), move & resize my partitions as I want them, then install
    > XP (and fix the MBR)? If so, any recommendations?

    As someone else has mentioned, BootItNextGeneration (BING), is a good
    shareware utility that runs off of a CD that can resize, recreate
    partitions. Don't know why your Vista Disk Management can't delete the
    EISI partition, but if it can't, then BING can. But you better make sure
    you know what is on that EISI partition before you do it. It could be
    something essential to the operation of your laptop, or maybe not.

    > Or should I backup everything and wipe the whole disk clean, then
    > install XP, partitioning the drive into four parts (Recovery, VISTA, XP
    > & DATA)? If I do that, I don't know if I can install Vista - Dell
    > didn't include installation disks, they included recovery disks. Would
    > I be able to use those disks to install Vista on a specific partition,
    > or would they just wipe my disk clean and return it to factory install
    > state?

    The OEM "recovery disks" will wipe everything clean and return them to
    the factory defaults.

    Yousuf Khan

  4. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > bootitng could do what you need. I ran the Vista demo along side XP with
    > that. It's a little challenging to figure out, but the newsgroup is
    > very responsive.

    > You can have 4 primary partitions working together at a time, but lots
    > of them on the disk. I put all my data partitions as volumes in one
    > extended partition. While you have more than 4 primaries you have to use
    > "bing" as the partition manager. It can manage them from its HD
    > installation, or a floppy, or a CD.

    You cannot have more than 4 primary partitions, as there is
    only space for 4 partitions in the main partition table. You
    can, however, have a bootmanager that changes your partitioning
    on request during boot. The others are then free space while
    not ''swapped into'' the primary (and with 4 primary partitions,
    only) partition table. If you want an extended partition,
    you have to sacrifice one of the entries for it and can only have
    3 primary partitions at any one time. I wouls suspect that ''bing''
    keeps some meta partition information for itself to be able to
    change the partitioning when you use 4 primaries.

    Incidentially, this capability of ''bing'' sounds very neat when
    you want to have several independent Windows installations.

    Arno

  5. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Arno, yes, that's what I thought I said! Also, I *think* the extended is
    a primary.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  6. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Ed Light wrote:

    > Arno, yes, that's what I thought I said!

    > Also, I *think* the extended is a primary.

    Nope, its an extended.

  7. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > Arno, yes, that's what I thought I said! Also, I *think* the extended is
    > a primary.

    I was referring to "lots of _them_ on disk". If "them" is
    partitions and not primary partitions, then I agree.

    The extended is a primary, but it is not really a partition.
    Instead it is a pointer to an additional partition table.

    Arno

    > ---
    > Ed Light

    > Better World News TV Channel:
    > http://realnews.com

    > Bring the Troops Home:
    > http://bringthemhomenow.org
    > http://antiwar.com

    > Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    > http://ivaw.org
    > http://couragetoresist.org

    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > spam@uce.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  8. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > I was referring to "lots of _them_ on disk". If "them" is
    > partitions and not primary partitions, then I agree.

    Are you saying that there can be lots of potential primaries on the disk
    waiting for their chance but only four can really be primaries at any
    one time? I thought they were all primaries but only four can be in a
    boot menu item (due to only 4 can be in an MBR). bootitng - aka BING -
    creates an "EMBR" - extended master boot record - if you want to have
    more than 4 primaries on the disk. You then have to use only BING as a
    partition manager.

    Anyhow, the BING home page says "create over 200 primary partitions if
    desired."

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

    The page has a link to the Manual:

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/bootitng.pdf
    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  9. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> I was referring to "lots of _them_ on disk". If "them" is
    >> partitions and not primary partitions, then I agree.

    > Are you saying that there can be lots of potential primaries on the disk
    > waiting for their chance but only four can really be primaries at any
    > one time?

    There are exactly 4 entries in the primary partition
    table. Whatever is in there is a primary partition.
    Nothing else is.

    > I thought they were all primaries but only four can be in a
    > boot menu item (due to only 4 can be in an MBR). bootitng - aka BING -
    > creates an "EMBR" - extended master boot record - if you want to have
    > more than 4 primaries on the disk. You then have to use only BING as a
    > partition manager.

    > Anyhow, the BING home page says "create over 200 primary partitions if
    > desired."

    It cannot. However it can likely change what is in the
    primary partition table at boot.

    Arno

    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

    > The page has a link to the Manual:

    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/bootitng.pdf
    > ---
    > Ed Light

    > Better World News TV Channel:
    > http://realnews.com

    > Bring the Troops Home:
    > http://bringthemhomenow.org
    > http://antiwar.com

    > Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    > http://ivaw.org
    > http://couragetoresist.org

    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > spam@uce.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  10. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> Anyhow, the BING home page says "create over 200 primary partitions if
    >> desired."

    > It cannot. However it can likely change what is in the
    > primary partition table at boot.

    Yeah. I guess BING considers them primaries whether they're in the table
    or not, and you consider them latent, or waiting to be primaries.

    ---
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  11. Re: partitioning hard drive from vista to dual boot xp

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6cpahiF3hhfb0U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Ed Light wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > I was referring to "lots of _them_ on disk". If "them" is
    > > > partitions and not primary partitions, then I agree.

    > > Are you saying that there can be lots of potential primaries on the disk
    > > waiting for their chance but only four can really be primaries at any
    > > one time?

    > There are exactly 4 entries in the primary partition table.

    > Whatever is in there is a primary partition.
    > Nothing else is.

    Babblebot, clueless as always.

    > > I thought they were all primaries but only four can be in a
    > > boot menu item (due to only 4 can be in an MBR). bootitng - aka BING -
    > > creates an "EMBR" - extended master boot record - if you want to have
    > > more than 4 primaries on the disk. You then have to use only BING as a
    > > partition manager.

    > > Anyhow, the BING home page says "create over 200 primary partitions if
    > > desired."

    > It cannot. However it can likely change what is in the
    > primary partition table at boot.
    >
    > Arno
    >

    > > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/boo...generation.htm

    > > The page has a link to the Manual: