Maxtor Shared Storage II faulty data transmission - Storage

This is a discussion on Maxtor Shared Storage II faulty data transmission - Storage ; I have been using a Maxtor Shared Storage II for over a year now. This is connected to a Netgear DG834G (aka DG834Gv1) router which connects wirelessly to my laptop. The main use of the Maxtor drive is to store ...

  1. Maxtor Shared Storage II faulty data transmission

    I have been using a Maxtor Shared Storage II for over a year now. This
    is connected to a Netgear DG834G (aka DG834Gv1) router which connects
    wirelessly to my laptop. The main use of the Maxtor drive is to store
    films and my iTunes library. The network drive and the router have the
    latest firmware updates.

    For the last couple of weeks, when playing films (usually DivX
    format), after a while (I have not detected a specific time frame for
    this) the transmission from the network drive stops (the transmission
    led stops flickering on both the router and drive) and then the at
    irregular intervals it resumes intermitently. Films are paused and
    then continue playing for a few seconds to stop again. Also, when
    synchronising my iPod I have been having trouble with "large" files
    (mainly video podcasts and films). The synchronisation stops as the
    network drive stops transmitting while iTunes waits. Then the
    transmission may resume or not, resulting in an "unknown error" as
    reported by iTunes. I usually have to restart synchronisation one or
    two more times.

    I have checked the routerīs settings, which appear to be fine and does
    connect to other devices (and the Internet) with no problem
    whatsoever. I have also run diagnostics from the network driveīs
    browser panel and the result is that the drives seems to be working
    within normal parameters.

    The transmission of file from the laptop to the network drive seems to
    work fine.

    Any ideas of what may be going wrong for transmissions from the
    network drive to be halting suddenly like this?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Maxtor Shared Storage II faulty data transmission

    Previously correomaster wrote:
    > I have been using a Maxtor Shared Storage II for over a year now. This
    > is connected to a Netgear DG834G (aka DG834Gv1) router which connects
    > wirelessly to my laptop. The main use of the Maxtor drive is to store
    > films and my iTunes library. The network drive and the router have the
    > latest firmware updates.

    > For the last couple of weeks, when playing films (usually DivX
    > format), after a while (I have not detected a specific time frame for
    > this) the transmission from the network drive stops (the transmission
    > led stops flickering on both the router and drive) and then the at
    > irregular intervals it resumes intermitently. Films are paused and
    > then continue playing for a few seconds to stop again. Also, when
    > synchronising my iPod I have been having trouble with "large" files
    > (mainly video podcasts and films). The synchronisation stops as the
    > network drive stops transmitting while iTunes waits. Then the
    > transmission may resume or not, resulting in an "unknown error" as
    > reported by iTunes. I usually have to restart synchronisation one or
    > two more times.

    > I have checked the routerīs settings, which appear to be fine and does
    > connect to other devices (and the Internet) with no problem
    > whatsoever. I have also run diagnostics from the network driveīs
    > browser panel and the result is that the drives seems to be working
    > within normal parameters.

    > The transmission of file from the laptop to the network drive seems to
    > work fine.

    > Any ideas of what may be going wrong for transmissions from the
    > network drive to be halting suddenly like this?

    Sounds very much like a dying drive.

    Arno

  3. Re: Maxtor Shared Storage II faulty data transmission

    Check for network errors with netstat.
    Connect to the router with an ethernet cable.
    If the problem goes away, then WiFi is the problem.

    "correomaster" wrote in message
    I have been using a Maxtor Shared Storage II for over a year now. This
    is connected to a Netgear DG834G (aka DG834Gv1) router which connects
    wirelessly to my laptop. The main use of the Maxtor drive is to store
    films and my iTunes library. The network drive and the router have the
    latest firmware updates.

+ Reply to Thread