Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast - Storage

This is a discussion on Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast - Storage ; I am attempting to move some files off of an older Macintosh for storage and transfer. I therefore found and purchased an appropriate version of Roxio Toast and a CD ROM writer in order to accomplish this. The system is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    I am attempting to move some files off of an older Macintosh for storage
    and transfer. I therefore found and purchased an appropriate version of
    Roxio Toast and a CD ROM writer in order to accomplish this.

    The system is OS8.6, and the version of Roxio Toast I have is Titanium 5.0.1

    The CD ROM writer I have is branded as a "ClubMac" writer. However, Roxio
    Toast recognizes the writer as being a Yamaha CRW-6416S mechanism.

    As a test, I have created several different CDs with several different
    settings. One of those test CDs was a "MacOS and PC Hybrid" format.

    The test CDs will not mount on the desk top when I put them into either
    the CD ROM reader built into the computer or the ClubMac / Yamaha
    read/write drive.

    However, the hybrid CD can be read just fine on the Windows computer I
    have at work.

    Any Mac data CD (except the ones I have created) will mount just fine in
    the built-in CD ROM reader, but it won't mount if I put the same disk into
    the ClubMac / Yamaha read/write drive.

    As best as I can tell, I installed all of the CD ROM drivers that came
    with the Roxio install, but possibly I missed something.

    It doesn't matter to me that I can't read any CD ROM in the Yamaha drive,
    because the computer has a built in drive. All I care about is being able
    to create readable data CDs. Somehow, I am able to read them on the PC
    where I work, but not readable by this Macintosh.

    Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have!

    --
    -Glennl
    e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after gl to get 4317.

  2. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am attempting to move some files off of an older Macintosh for storage
    > and transfer. I therefore found and purchased an appropriate version of
    > Roxio Toast and a CD ROM writer in order to accomplish this.
    >
    > The system is OS8.6, and the version of Roxio Toast I have is Titanium 5.0.1

    Does this mean that you can use Toast 5.0.1 with Os 8.6? - I'd thought
    that the latest ver. for System 6.x was the Roxio Toast 4.1.3 Deluxe....

    > The CD ROM writer I have is branded as a "ClubMac" writer. However, Roxio
    > Toast recognizes the writer as being a Yamaha CRW-6416S mechanism.

    Yes, 6x write, 4x rewrite, 16x read. - One of the most stable drives
    from Yamaha. this drive was used in many different brands - also in
    LaCie D2.

    > As a test, I have created several different CDs with several different
    > settings. One of those test CDs was a "MacOS and PC Hybrid" format.
    >
    > The test CDs will not mount on the desk top when I put them into either
    > the CD ROM reader built into the computer or the ClubMac / Yamaha
    > read/write drive.
    >
    > However, the hybrid CD can be read just fine on the Windows computer I
    > have at work.
    >
    > Any Mac data CD (except the ones I have created) will mount just fine in
    > the built-in CD ROM reader, but it won't mount if I put the same disk into
    > the ClubMac / Yamaha read/write drive.
    >
    > As best as I can tell, I installed all of the CD ROM drivers that came
    > with the Roxio install, but possibly I missed something.
    >
    > It doesn't matter to me that I can't read any CD ROM in the Yamaha drive,
    > because the computer has a built in drive. All I care about is being able
    > to create readable data CDs. Somehow, I am able to read them on the PC
    > where I work, but not readable by this Macintosh.

    You probably need the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' from the system CD. If
    it's missing, you can get it out of the installer with 'Tomeview'. It's
    located in the folder Install Software -> Mac OS -> Big system parts.
    Drag this onto the TomeView icon and you can find the CD ROM extension
    and save it to desktop. Drag the extracted extension to the closed
    system folder, click OK and restart.

    But the problem also can be a conflict between the 'Toast CD Reader
    Extension' and the 'Apple CD ROM Driver Extension', - if the Apple
    extension already is in the extensions folder. If the Apple extension is
    present, either drag the Toast CD Reader Extension to the desktop and
    restart - or (but not recommendable) put a '∼' (tilte) infront ofthe
    name, so it becomes '∼Toast CD Reader Extension' - and then restart.
    This will load the Toast extension as the very latest in the system. -
    And of course you can use the 'Extensions Manager' controlpanel to
    diable the toast CD reader Extension, - a restart is also required using
    the EM manager...

    It is a known problem between the Toast extension and the built-in Apple
    CD extension in both System 7.x, OS 8.0 to 9.0.4.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rgds. Grüße, Mvh. Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC

    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

  3. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am attempting to move some files off of an older Macintosh for storage
    > and transfer. I therefore found and purchased an appropriate version of
    > Roxio Toast and a CD ROM writer in order to accomplish this.
    >
    > The system is OS8.6, and the version of Roxio Toast I have is Titanium 5.0.1

    Does this mean that you can use Toast 5.0.1 with Os 8.6? - I'd thought
    that the latest ver. for Os 8.x was the Roxio Toast 4.1.3 Deluxe....

    > The CD ROM writer I have is branded as a "ClubMac" writer. However, Roxio
    > Toast recognizes the writer as being a Yamaha CRW-6416S mechanism.

    Yes, 6x write, 4x rewrite, 16x read. - One of the most stable drives
    from Yamaha. this drive was used in many different brands - also in
    LaCie D2.

    > As a test, I have created several different CDs with several different
    > settings. One of those test CDs was a "MacOS and PC Hybrid" format.
    >
    > The test CDs will not mount on the desk top when I put them into either
    > the CD ROM reader built into the computer or the ClubMac / Yamaha
    > read/write drive.
    >
    > However, the hybrid CD can be read just fine on the Windows computer I
    > have at work.
    >
    > Any Mac data CD (except the ones I have created) will mount just fine in
    > the built-in CD ROM reader, but it won't mount if I put the same disk into
    > the ClubMac / Yamaha read/write drive.
    >
    > As best as I can tell, I installed all of the CD ROM drivers that came
    > with the Roxio install, but possibly I missed something.
    >
    > It doesn't matter to me that I can't read any CD ROM in the Yamaha drive,
    > because the computer has a built in drive. All I care about is being able
    > to create readable data CDs. Somehow, I am able to read them on the PC
    > where I work, but not readable by this Macintosh.

    You probably need the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' from the system CD. If
    it's missing, you can get it out of the installer with 'Tomeview'. It's
    located in the folder Install Software -> Mac OS -> Big system parts.
    Drag this onto the TomeView icon and you can find the CD ROM extension
    and save it to desktop. Drag the extracted extension to the closed
    system folder, click OK and restart.

    But the problem also can be a conflict between the 'Toast CD Reader
    Extension' and the 'Apple CD ROM Driver Extension', - if the Apple
    extension already is in the extensions folder. If the Apple extension is
    present, either drag the Toast CD Reader Extension to the desktop and
    restart - or (but not recommendable) put a '∼' (tilte) infront ofthe
    name, so it becomes '∼Toast CD Reader Extension' - and then restart.
    This will load the Toast extension as the very latest in the system. -
    And of course you can use the 'Extensions Manager' controlpanel to
    diable the toast CD reader Extension, - a restart is also required using
    the EM manager...

    It is a known problem between the Toast extension and the built-in Apple
    CD extension in both System 7.x, OS 8.0 to 9.0.4.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rgds. Grüße, Mvh. Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC

    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

  4. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article <48570a3f$0$27370$ba624c82@nntp06.dk.telia.net>,
    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBSaWNoYXJkIFPDuHJlbnNlbg==?= wrote:

    > gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am attempting to move some files off of an older Macintosh for storag=

    > > and transfer. I therefore found and purchased an appropriate version o=

    > > Roxio Toast and a CD ROM writer in order to accomplish this.
    > >=20
    > > The system is OS8.6, and the version of Roxio Toast I have is Titanium =

    > 5.0.1
    >
    > Does this mean that you can use Toast 5.0.1 with Os 8.6? - I'd thought
    > that the latest ver. for Os 8.x was the Roxio Toast 4.1.3 Deluxe....

    Well, the box specs say system 8.6. Of course, we all know how well box
    specs work.... (Though in MacOS this isn't anywhere near the big joke it
    has become with software produced for windows, I've found.)

    --
    -Glennl
    e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after gl to get 4317.

  5. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article ,
    gl4316@yahoo.com (gl4316@yahoo.com) wrote:

    > The test CDs will not mount on the desk top when I put them into either
    > the CD ROM reader built into the computer or the ClubMac / Yamaha
    > read/write drive.
    >
    > However, the hybrid CD can be read just fine on the Windows computer I
    > have at work.

    Tat usually means you are using a crappy brand of blank CD, like Memorex
    or a no-name store brand.

    There is a BIG difference between different brands of blank CDs.
    Inferior quality blank CDs can be read in some CD-ROM drives but not in
    others.

    --
    Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

  6. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article , tacit
    wrote:

    > Tat usually means you are using a crappy brand of blank CD, like Memorex
    > or a no-name store brand.
    >
    > There is a BIG difference between different brands of blank CDs.
    > Inferior quality blank CDs can be read in some CD-ROM drives but not in
    > others.

    And your suggestion is to use which brand?

    --
    -Glennl
    e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after gl to get 4317.

  7. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article <48570a3f$0$27370$ba624c82@nntp06.dk.telia.net>,
    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBSaWNoYXJkIFPDuHJlbnNlbg==?= wrote:

    > You probably need the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' from the system CD. If
    > it's missing, you can get it out of the installer with 'Tomeview'. It's
    > located in the folder Install Software -> Mac OS -> Big system parts.
    > Drag this onto the TomeView icon and you can find the CD ROM extension
    > and save it to desktop. Drag the extracted extension to the closed
    > system folder, click OK and restart.

    I've got the extension called 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' installed. Is that
    what I am looking for, or is the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' a separate
    extension from that?

    --
    -Glennl
    e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after gl to get 4317.

  8. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I've got the extension called 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' installed. Is that
    > what I am looking for, or is the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' a separate
    > extension from that?

    It's a long time ago that I used Systme 8.x, but the CD software
    included more than one extension. One was "ISO 9660 file access", and
    other had similar names. Best I think is to get the CD software
    somewhere and re-install this. I don't think it's a problem with the CD
    brand (as somebdy proposed) or with the version toast you use.

    Christian
    --
    Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org

  9. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    > I've got the extension called 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' installed. Is that
    > what I am looking for, or is the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' a separate
    > extension from that?

    I can't remember the right name as well, but the Apple driver *did* cause
    trouble with the Toast extension.

    Just give it a try - it doesn't hurt and can't create permanent damage. Just
    drag 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' out of the system folder to a safe place and
    re-boot. If it doesn't work you can just drag it in again...

    Ah... those were the days when you could just drag in/out system parts or
    copy the entire system folder to a new disk in order to get a new boot
    volume... It sure was easy to smash the entire system, but it was also easy
    to fix it again... ;-)

  10. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:
    > tacit wrote:
    >> Tat usually means you are using a crappy brand of blank CD, like Memorex
    >> or a no-name store brand.
    >>
    >> There is a BIG difference between different brands of blank CDs.
    >> Inferior quality blank CDs can be read in some CD-ROM drives but not in
    >> others.

    > And your suggestion is to use which brand?

    Well, I don't think that the brand does matter that much anymore. The
    qualities of even noname medias nowadays are mostly just as good as the
    more expensive brands.

    But for some older drives like the older Yamaha and Sony drives, it
    might be good to use fx. Verbatim or TDK, 'cause the metal foil is a bit
    thicker than in the cheaper brands. - But before changing your media, -
    try my suggestions about the drivers...

    cheers, Erik Richard

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rgds. Gre, Mvh. Erik Richard Srensen, Member of ADC

    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

  11. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:
    > In article <48570a3f$0$27370$ba624c82@nntp06.dk.telia.net>,
    > =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBSaWNoYXJkIFPDuHJlbnNlbg==?= wrote:
    >
    >> You probably need the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' from the system CD. If
    >> it's missing, you can get it out of the installer with 'Tomeview'. It's
    >> located in the folder Install Software -> Mac OS -> Big system parts.
    >> Drag this onto the TomeView icon and you can find the CD ROM extension
    >> and save it to desktop. Drag the extracted extension to the closed
    >> system folder, click OK and restart.

    > I've got the extension called 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' installed. Is that
    > what I am looking for, or is the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' a separate
    > extension from that?

    Yes, it's the one you need... The name changed somewhere between system
    7.6 and Os 8.5/8.6, so no need to pick it out of the installer tome
    again. - Try to disable/remove the Toast CD extension then...

    cheers, Erik Richard

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rgds. Gre, Mvh. Erik Richard Srensen, Member of ADC

    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

  12. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    gl4316@yahoo.com wrote:

    > In article , tacit
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Tat usually means you are using a crappy brand of blank CD, like Memorex
    > > or a no-name store brand.
    > >
    > > There is a BIG difference between different brands of blank CDs.
    > > Inferior quality blank CDs can be read in some CD-ROM drives but not in
    > > others.

    > And your suggestion is to use which brand?

    My personal favourite brand (never had one go wrong) is Verbatim
    (specifically their "Datalife" series).

    Another possible explanation for not being able to read the CD-R in the
    built-in drive: on some older Macs, the optical drive has trouble
    reading ANY CD-R, or develops this fault over time. It is possible to be
    in a state where it will read pressed/commercial CDs fine, but won't
    read any CD-Rs.

    My PowerMac 8600's built-in drive suffers from exactly this problem
    (reads pressed CDs but not CD-Rs; it used to work fine with both), but I
    haven't bothered to investigate exactly what is wrong with it, because
    my Yamaha CD writer works fine (including reading CD-Rs).

    I suspect it is something simple like dust on the lens, which might be
    fixable by a CD lens cleaner.

    --
    David Empson
    dempson@actrix.gen.nz

  13. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    MartinC wrote:

    > I can't remember the right name as well, but the Apple driver *did* cause
    > trouble with the Toast extension.

    I think you are referring to the "Firewire Authoring" and "USB
    Authoring" extensions, not to the Apple CD reading extensions.

    Christian
    --
    Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org

  14. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    Christian wrote:
    > MartinC wrote:
    >> I can't remember the right name as well, but the Apple driver *did* cause
    >> trouble with the Toast extension.

    > I think you are referring to the "Firewire Authoring" and "USB
    > Authoring" extensions, not to the Apple CD reading extensions.

    Uak.:-(! - Indeed the authoring support files can give trouble, but
    Diskburner + Authoring Supprt was first introduced with Os 9.x.

    But it also is a known problem that the Toast CD reader extension can
    give lots of trouble along with the Apple CD/DVD driver extension...

    cheers, Erik Richard

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rgds. Gre, Mvh. Erik Richard Srensen, Member of ADC

    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

  15. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    << And your suggestion is to use which brand? >>

    I'd suggest Verbatim CD blanks. Pick them up in 100-packs on
    sale for $16 or so when available.

    A good place to keep an eye for "where the sales are" is
    "salescircular.com".

    - John

  16. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    Christian wrote:

    > I think you are referring to the "Firewire Authoring" and "USB
    > Authoring" extensions, not to the Apple CD reading extensions.

    Ooops... you're right. I never moved them manually, because soon after the
    Toast installer did this automatically.

  17. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    Erik Richard Sørensen a écrit :

    > You probably need the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' from the system CD. If
    > it's missing, you can get it out of the installer with 'Tomeview'. It's
    > located in the folder Install Software -> Mac OS -> Big system parts.
    > Drag this onto the TomeView icon and you can find the CD ROM extension
    > and save it to desktop. Drag the extracted extension to the closed
    > system folder, click OK and restart.
    >
    > But the problem also can be a conflict between the 'Toast CD Reader
    > Extension' and the 'Apple CD ROM Driver Extension', - if the Apple
    > extension already is in the extensions folder. If the Apple extension is
    > present, either drag the Toast CD Reader Extension to the desktop and
    > restart - or (but not recommendable) put a '∼' (tilte) infront ofthe
    > name, so it becomes '∼Toast CD Reader Extension' - and then restart.
    > This will load the Toast extension as the very latest in the system. -
    > And of course you can use the 'Extensions Manager' controlpanel to
    > diable the toast CD reader Extension, - a restart is also required using
    > the EM manager...
    >
    > It is a known problem between the Toast extension and the built-in Apple
    > CD extension in both System 7.x, OS 8.0 to 9.0.4.

    ****, I understand why you people like Macs so much. It's so much fun! When I
    want to burn a CD with Linux, I use the lastest included software, I throw a
    CD in my 13 years old CD writer (1), and I burn it. Final.

    (1) It was part of my 486. Hey, great technology! That's what Jobby still
    offers with its Mac Mini

  18. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article , MartinC
    wrote:

    > > I've got the extension called 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' installed. Is that
    > > what I am looking for, or is the 'Apple CD ROM Extension' a separate
    > > extension from that?

    > I can't remember the right name as well, but the Apple driver *did* cause
    > trouble with the Toast extension.
    >
    > Just give it a try - it doesn't hurt and can't create permanent damage. Just
    > drag 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' out of the system folder to a safe place and
    > re-boot. If it doesn't work you can just drag it in again...

    Last night I did attempt to shut off the Toast extension instead, and it
    still produced the same problem. Tonight I'll try it the other way.

    However, I am suspecting that the problem is the ISO 9660 extension,
    because that is in the Extensions folder, but it isn't showing up in the
    extensions manager.

    So, it looks like that one is the next one to try to deal with.

    --
    -Glennl
    e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after gl to get 4317.

  19. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    In article ,
    gl4316@yahoo.com (gl4316@yahoo.com) wrote:

    > And your suggestion is to use which brand?

    TDK and Verbatim work very well for me.

    --
    Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

  20. Re: Unreadable CD created by Roxio Toast

    I think the problem is sort of fixed. I can at least read them with the
    computer, and that helps me verify that in fact the files are there and
    readable.

    I attempted to replace the copy of the extension "ISO 9660 File Access"
    with a clean copy, and still no go. It won't appear in the extensions
    manager. There must be something conflicting with it, but unfortunately
    when the computer boots up there isn't a red X showing over the extension
    that it hasn't done anything to it.

    Just to see what might or might not work, I turned the "Toast CD Reader"
    extension back on, and "Apple CD/DVD Driver" off. While this means that I
    am not able to read disks in the computer's internal CD drive, it does
    mean I am able to read them in the Yamaha / ClubMac drive.

    My thanks to those who have helped me get this far, which is a big step in
    the right direction.