HD Backup ? - Storage

This is a discussion on HD Backup ? - Storage ; Have Winxp with SP2 Hd 80 gig got a 500 gig external USB HD and now looking for a good backup program Want to be able to "create" a copy on the new drive so I can see the files. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96

  1. HD Backup ?

    Have Winxp with SP2
    Hd 80 gig
    got a 500 gig external USB HD and now looking for a good backup program
    Want to be able to "create" a copy on the new drive so I can see the files.

    Any suggestion?

    --

    Cheers _ Jóseph _

  2. Re: HD Backup ?

    Hunibal wrote:

    > Have Winxp with SP2
    > Hd 80 gig
    > got a 500 gig external USB HD and now looking for a good backup program Want to be able to "create" a copy on the new
    > drive so I can see the files.

    > Any suggestion?

    Acronis True Image.

  3. Re: HD Backup ?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in

    > Acronis True Image.

    That's what I would say too but he will have to use the Acronis utlity to
    be able to see the files inside the image file. I don't think that's what
    he really wants.

  4. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Hunibal wrote:
    > Have Winxp with SP2
    > Hd 80 gig
    > got a 500 gig external USB HD and now looking for a good backup program
    > Want to be able to "create" a copy on the new drive so I can see the files.

    > Any suggestion?

    rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?

    Arno

  5. Re: HD Backup ?

    > rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?

    For Window$?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4

  6. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    >> rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?
    >>

    > For Window$?

    There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    users only able to click and not to type?

    Arno

  7. Re: HD Backup ?

    >> For Window$?
    > There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    > users only able to click and not to type?

    Saw it... thanks.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
    ^ ^ 22:34:01 up 6:48 0 users load average: 1.11 1.05 1.01
    ? ? (CSSA):

  8. brainfart

    Eric Gisin schrieb:
    > "Arno ****Up" wrote in message
    >> Previously Hunibal wrote:
    >>> Have Winxp with SP2
    >>> Hd 80 gig
    >>> got a 500 gig external USB HD and now looking for a good backup program
    >>> Want to be able to "create" a copy on the new drive so I can see the
    >>> files.

    >>> Any suggestion?

    >> rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?

    > ****ing moron. XP has xcopy, and everyone knows it cannot backup the OS.

    And that has what to do exactly with Arno's suggestion?

  9. Re: brainfart

    Previously Jesco Lincke wrote:
    > Eric Gisin schrieb:
    >> "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    >>> rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?

    >> ****ing moron. XP has xcopy, and everyone knows it cannot backup the OS.

    > And that has what to do exactly with Arno's suggestion?

    Seems somebody is getting turely desperate here....

    Arno

  10. Re: troll alert!

    "Jesco Lincke" wrote in message news:g2bpi4$cim$1@online.de...
    > Eric Gisin schrieb:
    >> "Arno ****Up" wrote in message

    >>> rsync (http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/) as a local copy command?

    >> ****ing moron. XP has xcopy, and everyone knows it cannot backup the OS.

    > And that has what to do exactly with Arno's suggestion?

    rsync is a Unix utility, none of which handle the basics of copying FAT or NTFS attributes.
    Everyone (except fellow trolls) knows Arnie is a incompetant Troll,
    incapable of useful Windows advice. Even I know there is generic disk imaging on Linux.

  11. Re: troll alert!

    "Eric Gisin" wrote:
    > Even I know there is generic disk imaging on Linux.

    If you're talking about dd (i.e. "delete data", or "destroy disk"),
    it's also genericly slow because it copies each byte in each sector
    whether or not it contains any data. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

    *TimDaniels*

  12. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    > users only able to click and not to type?
    >
    > Arno

    It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    commands? **** that ****.

  13. Re: HD Backup ?

    On 6 Jun 2008 11:08:26 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Or are Windows
    >users only able to click and not to type?
    >
    >Arno

    I'd say that was an accurate observation. The really "techy" ones can
    operate a Phillips head screwdriver as well.

    - Franc Zabkar

  14. Re: HD Backup ?

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:34:38 GMT, House Of The White Rose
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    >@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    >> users only able to click and not to type?
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    >It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    >ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    >think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    >commands? **** that ****.

    One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?

    Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    solution.

    - Franc Zabkar

  15. Re: HD Backup ?

    Only a ****ing lunatic uses the most complicated, inappropriate tool.
    Did anyone bother to look it up? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

    >>It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    >>ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    >>think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    >>commands? **** that ****.

    > One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    > give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    > 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?

    Boot to Safe Mode CMD, recovery console, Win PE CD, etc.

    > Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    > blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    > line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    > down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    > solution.

    Only a ****ing moron uses Win98, an unsupported OS that crashes daily.

  16. Re: HD Backup ?

    > It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    > ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    > think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    > commands? **** that ****.

    I guess you don't respect your teachers and learn anything
    from books, do you?

    Text uses a lot less bandwidth, disk space, CPU cycles and
    memory than pictures.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
    ^ ^ 10:11:01 up 18:25 0 users load average: 2.45 2.05 1.48
    ? ? (CSSA):

  17. [ot]

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many
    >> moons ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that
    >> Linux geeks think they are better just because they have remember a
    >> million or so text commands? **** that ****.

    > I guess you don't respect your teachers and learn anything
    > from books, do you?
    >
    > Text uses a lot less bandwidth, disk space, CPU cycles and
    > memory than pictures.

    And how do you talk to your girl friend? Use a pen to
    draw pictures and exchange them with her? Why are you
    typing your messages here?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.4
    ^ ^ 10:15:01 up 18:30 0 users load average: 2.68 2.43 1.76
    ? ? (CSSA):

  18. Re: HD Backup ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote
    > House Of The White Rose wrote:

    >> It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind
    >> many moons ago and want to move forwards and not backwards.

    >> Why is it that Linux geeks think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text commands?

    Because they are fools.

    >> **** that ****.

    > I guess you don't respect your teachers and learn anything from books, do you?

    Guess again.

    > Text uses a lot less bandwidth,

    Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

    > disk space,

    Who cares with hard drive space so cheap now.

    > CPU cycles and memory than pictures.

    Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

  19. Re: troll alert!

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Eric Gisin" wrote:
    >> Even I know there is generic disk imaging on Linux.

    > If you're talking about dd (i.e. "delete data", or "destroy disk"),
    > it's also genericly slow because it copies each byte in each sector
    > whether or not it contains any data. See:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

    In addition, doing sector images has some border conditions, that are
    not allways easy to meet or obvious. This is strictly a last-ditch
    method. Besides, proper backup also allows incremential backup and
    verify, something dd/dd_rescue/cat does not support.

    Arno

  20. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:34:38 GMT, House Of The White Rose
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    >>@mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    >>> users only able to click and not to type?
    >>>
    >>> Arno
    >>>

    >>It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    >>ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    >>think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    >>commands? **** that ****.

    > One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    > give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    > 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?

    > Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    > blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    > line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    > down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    > solution.

    A GUI is neither more powerful, nor easier to use than a commandline.
    It just gives that impression. The best comment on GUI vs.
    commandline is still this one:

    What I saw in the Xerox PARC technology was the caveman interface, you
    point and you grunt. A massive winding down, regressing away from
    language, in order to address the technological nervousness of the
    user. Users wanted to be infantilized, to return to a pre-linguistic
    condition in the using of computers, and the Xerox PARC technology's
    primary advantage was that it allowed users to address computers in a
    pre-linguistic way. This was to my mind a terribly socially retrograde
    thing to do, and I have not changed my mind about that." - Eben Moglen

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast