HD Backup ? - Storage

This is a discussion on HD Backup ? - Storage ; "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message news:484b872f$1@127.0.0.1... >> I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to conserve cpu cycles or >> care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC ...

  1. Re: HD Backup ?

    >> I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to conserve cpu cycles or
    >> care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC here.

    > You don't understand the value of pure text in remote administration.

    Why don't you explain it then, troll? GUI MMC works fine remotely.

    A good comparision is GUI Disk Managment versus CMD diskpart, which have almost equal
    functionality.
    Anyone with partioning experience can figure out the former in a minute, but diskpart requires
    reading docs first.

    Do you think this is a good way to recode DVD to MP4?
    ffmpeg -i d:VTS_01_1.VOB -ilme -bf 2 -b 1234 -ab 80 test.mp4

  2. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:57:29 +0800, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)"
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.
    >>> Who cares with hard drive space so cheap now.
    >>> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

    >>Each English alphabets themselves are images, aren't they?
    >>Each word you speaking and writing are English, right?
    >>Why waste time preparing a video when you could use a few
    >>lines of English?

    > A Windows user will send you a "hello there" email encapsulated in a
    > .doc attachment, or a PowerPoint presentation, ie 30K bytes instead of
    > a dozen or so, plus the occasional 30KB trojan.

    Just shows that people are getting more and more incompetent with
    regard to the available tools of literacy.

    Arno

  3. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Robert Ford wrote:
    > "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in

    >> Text uses a lot less bandwidth, disk space, CPU cycles and
    >> memory than pictures.
    >>

    > I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to
    > conserve cpu cycles or care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC
    > here.

    One poblem is that exactly the same is true in your brain.
    Have upgraded that lately?

    Arno

  4. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:
    >> I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to
    >> conserve cpu cycles or care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC
    >> here.

    > You don't understand the value of pure text in
    > remote administration.

    Hehe. Windows users typically do not even know that remote
    administration is possible. I wonder why that is?

    Arno

  5. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously House Of The White Rose wrote:
    > "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in

    >> You don't understand the value of pure text in
    >> remote administration.
    >>

    > Why should I when I don't do remote admin?

    And why don't you do remote admin? I even remote
    administrate my firewall/nat/storage server, becayse
    it is easier to do it remotely under linux than walk
    few meters to it.

    Arno

  6. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Robert Ford wrote:
    > Franc Zabkar wrote in

    >> One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    >> give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    >> 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?
    >>
    >> Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    >> blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    >> line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    >> down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> - Franc Zabkar

    > Simple. You click on system restore or boot to your Vista disk and
    > click on the repair otions. Command line is for Luddites.

    And hwta if that method fails? (As it does quite often...)
    Reinstallation, i.e. the rescue of the incompetent?

    Arno

  7. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Robert Ford wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote in news:6auc7cF39fpriU1
    > @mid.individual.net:

    >> It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some
    >> applications. Quite laughable in comparison to the
    >> number of terms and concepts you learn in a few weeks
    >> in school. If you cannot deal with that, then you are
    >> truely limited for a human being.

    > Nice. Turn a discussion about the advantages of GUI vs CMD into a comment
    > on my value as a human being. What a sewer rat.

    Nice. Intentionally misunderstood. No need to clarify
    who is the rat here. Alternatively you _are_ that limited.
    In that case you have my pity.

    Arno

  8. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Robert Ford wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    > @mid.individual.net:

    >> A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    >> in a tool-using species....
    >>
    >> Arno

    > You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut icons,
    > right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what each switch is
    > every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    You do not understand the commandline. Nobody competent
    remembers the switches. You look them up. But since you
    have your opinion all finished, _without_ actually
    understanding both alternatives, you wouldn't know that.

    As I said, a sad state of affairs. You are one of its
    embodiments.

    Arno

  9. Re: HD Backup ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote

    >> I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to conserve cpu cycles or care about bandwidth.
    >> I'm not running an IBM XT PC here.

    > You don't understand the value of pure text in remote administration.

    Even if that was true, and it aint, doesnt say a damned
    thing about what makes sense in other situations.

  10. Re: HD Backup ?

    Fred wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously House Of The White Rose wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    >>> @mid.individual.net:

    >>> It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind
    >>> many moons ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is
    >>> it that Linux geeks think they are better just because they have
    >>> remember a million or so text commands? **** that ****.

    >> Oh, so you want only to be able to do what your
    >> GUI designer anticipated you might want to do?

    > Just as true of command line switches.
    >
    >> I have no issue whith that.

    >> The commandline gives me the power to command.

    > Only within what the designer chose to include in the switches available.
    >
    >> The GUI turns you into somebody controlled and managed in his desires.

    > Just like the command line switches do.
    >
    >> It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some applications.

    > Mindlessly silly with something like Office.
    >
    >> Quite laughable in comparison to the number of terms and
    >> concepts you learn in a few weeks in school. If you cannot
    >> deal with that, then you are truely limited for a human being.

    >> And it is not a Linux thing. Look at what professional admins demand of
    >> OSX or Windows: A method to admininstrate remotely over a text-interface.

    > There's **** all of that anymore.
    >
    >> Or why do you think the MS powershell is such a big deal?

    > It aint.

    You betray your complete lack of knowledge about the unix commandline.
    The power is not in the options for a single command, it's in
    combining commands in pipes to accomplish something unique.

    As for Office, I remember wading through menu after menu in Word looking
    for some feature I'd used once several months previously. Then, of
    course, there's the new version of some MS product. All of the menus
    have been rearranged. I guess because they had to do _something_ to
    justify the new version.

    Jerry

  11. Re: HD Backup ?

    Robert Ford wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    > @mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    >> in a tool-using species....
    >>
    >> Arno

    > You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut icons,
    > right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what each switch is
    > every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    So what? If it's something I do repeatedly, I write a script. I only
    have to _think_ about the problem once. And the script can be
    self-documenting, one of my major gripes with GUI's & especially GUI
    configuration, I need to keep separate notes about _why_ various
    values were chosen.

    Jerry

  12. Re: HD Backup ?

    Jerry Peters wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Oh, so you want only to be able to do what your
    >>> GUI designer anticipated you might want to do?

    >> Just as true of command line switches.
    >>
    >>> I have no issue whith that.

    >>> The commandline gives me the power to command.

    >> Only within what the designer chose to include in the switches
    >> available.
    >>
    >>> The GUI turns you into somebody controlled and managed in his
    >>> desires.

    >> Just like the command line switches do.
    >>
    >>> It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some applications.

    >> Mindlessly silly with something like Office.
    >>
    >>> Quite laughable in comparison to the number of terms and
    >>> concepts you learn in a few weeks in school. If you cannot
    >>> deal with that, then you are truely limited for a human being.

    >>> And it is not a Linux thing. Look at what professional admins
    >>> demand of OSX or Windows: A method to admininstrate remotely over a
    >>> text-interface.

    >> There's **** all of that anymore.
    >>
    >>> Or why do you think the MS powershell is such a big deal?

    >> It aint.

    > You betray your complete lack of knowledge about the unix commandline.

    I was using it before you were even born thank child.

    > The power is not in the options for a single command, it's in
    > combining commands in pipes to accomplish something unique.

    Just like you can do with any decent GUI.

    > As for Office, I remember wading through menu after menu in Word
    > looking for some feature I'd used once several months previously.

    Corse you never ever do anything like that with the command line switches, eh ?

    > Then, of course, there's the new version of some MS product.
    > All of the menus have been rearranged.

    You're lying now.

    > I guess because they had to do _something_ to justify the new version.

    Corse you never ever see anything like that with command line utes, eh ?

  13. Re: HD Backup ?

    Jerry Peters wrote
    > Robert Ford wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote

    >>> A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty in a tool-using species....

    >> You do know you can add command line switches if needed
    >> to shortcut icons, right? Only difference is I don't haved to
    >> remember what each switch is every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    > So what? If it's something I do repeatedly, I write a script.

    With a properly designed GUI, you dont have to fart around like that.

    > I only have to _think_ about the problem once.

    You dont have to _think_ about the problem at all with a properly
    designed GUI that will have put that commonly used op on a button and
    will allow you to keep the settings you choose to use from run to run.

    > And the script can be self-documenting, one of my major gripes
    > with GUI's & especially GUI configuration, I need to keep
    > separate notes about _why_ various values were chosen.

    Not with a properly designed GUI that documents the options properly where they are selected.

  14. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Jerry Peters wrote:
    > Robert Ford wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    >> @mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    >>> in a tool-using species....
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut icons,
    >> right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what each switch is
    >> every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    > So what? If it's something I do repeatedly, I write a script. I only
    > have to _think_ about the problem once. And the script can be
    > self-documenting, one of my major gripes with GUI's & especially GUI
    > configuration, I need to keep separate notes about _why_ various
    > values were chosen.

    Quite true. The lack of resonable automatisation capabilities
    in a GUI is one of the main killers in professional computer
    usage. Also one of the reasons why GUIs are nice, but are not
    needed. Ots the other way round with the commandline and
    scripting. AFAIK basically all GUI-based ''scripting''
    approaches (programming by point-and-click) have failed.
    The reason is probably that you need to understand what you
    are doing and a GUI makes that hard.

    Arno

  15. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Jerry Peters wrote:
    >> Robert Ford wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    >>> @mid.individual.net:

    >>> You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut
    >>> icons, right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what
    >>> each switch is every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    >> So what? If it's something I do repeatedly, I write a script. I only
    >> have to _think_ about the problem once. And the script can be
    >> self-documenting, one of my major gripes with GUI's & especially GUI
    >> configuration, I need to keep separate notes about _why_ various
    >> values were chosen.

    > Quite true. The lack of resonable automatisation capabilities in
    > a GUI is one of the main killers in professional computer usage.

    Only for those who dont have a clue about how that is done with a GUI.

    > Also one of the reasons why GUIs are nice, but are not needed.

    Just as true of command line utes.

    > Ots the other way round with the commandline and scripting.

    Nope.

    > AFAIK basically all GUI-based ''scripting'' approaches
    > (programming by point-and-click) have failed.

    Is that right ?

    > The reason is probably that you need to understand
    > what you are doing and a GUI makes that hard.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a clue.

  16. Re: HD Backup ?

    >> You don't understand the value of pure text in
    >> remote administration.

    > Why should I when I don't do remote admin?

    English is a marvelous language. Don't let
    stupid icons, graphics and video ruin it.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5

  17. Re: HD Backup ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> You don't understand the value of pure text in
    >>> remote administration.

    >> Why should I when I don't do remote admin?

    > English is a marvelous language. Don't let
    > stupid icons, graphics and video ruin it.

    And my mother tongue is Cantonese...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5
    ^ ^ 09:57:01 up 1 day 20:27 1 user load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
    ? ? (CSSA):

  18. Re: HD Backup ?

    Fred wrote:
    > Jerry Peters wrote:
    >> Fred wrote:

    >>> Just as true of command line switches.

    >>> Only within what the designer chose to include in the switches
    >>> available.

    >>> Just like the command line switches do.

    >>> Mindlessly silly with something like Office.

    >>> There's **** all of that anymore.

    >>> It aint.

    >> You betray your complete lack of knowledge about the unix commandline.

    > I was using it before you were even born thank child.

    I _doubt_ that. I've been getting paid for programming for almost 40
    years.

    >> The power is not in the options for a single command, it's in
    >> combining commands in pipes to accomplish something unique.

    > Just like you can do with any decent GUI.

    What GUI? Certainly not anything from MS. And how do you pipe stdout
    to stdin of the next program when there is no stdout nor stdin?

    >> As for Office, I remember wading through menu after menu in Word
    >> looking for some feature I'd used once several months previously.

    > Corse you never ever do anything like that with the command line switches, eh ?

    man whatever and do a few searches. Much faster than wading through
    menu after menu looking for something.

    >> Then, of course, there's the new version of some MS product.
    >> All of the menus have been rearranged.

    > You're lying now.

    And you're a complete idiot. Every new version of Word moved menu
    items around. Then of course there's the latest Word, it has something
    called "ribbons" IIRC.

    >> I guess because they had to do _something_ to justify the new version.

    > Corse you never ever see anything like that with command line utes, eh ?

    How would you re-arrange command line switches?

    Jerry

  19. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Jerry Peters wrote:
    >> Robert Ford wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    >>> @mid.individual.net:

    >>> You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut icons,
    >>> right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what each switch is
    >>> every time I want to run it. Luddite!

    >> So what? If it's something I do repeatedly, I write a script. I only
    >> have to _think_ about the problem once. And the script can be
    >> self-documenting, one of my major gripes with GUI's & especially GUI
    >> configuration, I need to keep separate notes about _why_ various
    >> values were chosen.

    > Quite true. The lack of resonable automatisation capabilities
    > in a GUI is one of the main killers in professional computer
    > usage. Also one of the reasons why GUIs are nice, but are not
    > needed. Ots the other way round with the commandline and
    > scripting. AFAIK basically all GUI-based ''scripting''
    > approaches (programming by point-and-click) have failed.
    > The reason is probably that you need to understand what you
    > are doing and a GUI makes that hard.
    >
    > Arno

    Yeah, I avoid Linux distros with "helpful" configuration utilities,
    they're like Windows; if it ever breaks you haven't a clue what to
    do. Or in the case of Windows, even where to begin looking for the
    problem. You can always tell a newbie to Linux, at the first sign of
    trouble they re-install.

    Jerry

  20. Re: HD Backup ?

    Jerry Peters wrote
    > Fred wrote
    >> Jerry Peters wrote
    >>> Fred wrote

    >>> You betray your complete lack of knowledge about the unix
    >>> commandline.

    >> I was using it before you were even born thank child.

    > I _doubt_ that. I've been getting paid for programming for almost 40 years.

    A mere child.

    >>> The power is not in the options for a single command, it's in
    >>> combining commands in pipes to accomplish something unique.

    >> Just like you can do with any decent GUI.

    > What GUI?

    Any decent GUI.

    > Certainly not anything from MS.

    Pig ignorant lie.

    > And how do you pipe stdout to stdin of the next program when there is no stdout nor stdin?

    Dinosaur stuff.

    >>> As for Office, I remember wading through menu after menu in Word
    >>> looking for some feature I'd used once several months previously.

    >> Corse you never ever do anything like that with the command line switches, eh ?

    > man whatever and do a few searches.

    Dinosaur stuff.

    > Much faster than wading through menu after menu looking for something.

    That aint the only way to use a GUI.

    And a well designed GUI has the menus structured so there is no 'menu after menu looking for something' anyway.

    >>> Then, of course, there's the new version of some MS product.
    >>> All of the menus have been rearranged.

    >> You're lying now.

    > And you're a complete idiot.

    We'll see...

    > Every new version of Word moved menu items around.

    But not one of them had ALL OF THE MENUS REARRANGED, liar.

    > Then of course there's the latest Word, it has something called "ribbons" IIRC.

    Irrelevant to your bare faced lie.

    >>> I guess because they had to do _something_ to justify the new version.

    >> Corse you never ever see anything like that with command line utes, eh ?

    > How would you re-arrange command line switches?

    New switches, delete the old ones, stupid.