HD Backup ? - Storage

This is a discussion on HD Backup ? - Storage ; Previously Franc Zabkar wrote: > On 6 Jun 2008 11:08:26 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to > keyboard and composed: >>Or are Windows >>users only able to click and not to type? >> >>Arno > I'd say that was an ...

  1. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On 6 Jun 2008 11:08:26 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:

    >>Or are Windows
    >>users only able to click and not to type?
    >>
    >>Arno

    > I'd say that was an accurate observation. The really "techy" ones can
    > operate a Phillips head screwdriver as well.

    A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    in a tool-using species....

    Arno

  2. Re: HD Backup ?

    Previously House Of The White Rose wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    > @mid.individual.net:

    >> There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    >> users only able to click and not to type?
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    > It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind
    > many moons ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is
    > it that Linux geeks think they are better just because they have
    > remember a million or so text commands? **** that ****.

    Oh, so you want only to be able to do what your GUI designer
    anticipated you might want to do? I have no issue whith that.
    The commandline gives me the power to command. The GUI turns
    you into somebody controlled and managed in his desires.

    It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some
    applications. Quite laughable in comparison to the
    number of terms and concepts you learn in a few weeks
    in school. If you cannot deal with that, then you are
    truely limited for a human being.

    And it is not a Linux thing. Look at what professional admins
    demand of OSX or Windows: A method to admininstrate remotely
    over a text-interface. Or why do you think the MS powershell is
    such a big deal?

    Arno

  3. Re: HD Backup ?

    > Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.
    > Who cares with hard drive space so cheap now.
    > Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

    Each English alphabets themselves are images, aren't they?
    Each word you speaking and writing are English, right?
    Why waste time preparing a video when you could use a few
    lines of English?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5

  4. Re: troll alert!

    "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    > In addition, doing sector images has some border conditions,
    > that are not allways easy to meet or obvious....

    Now I *know* you're of the Science/Math ilk, but probably
    not of Anglophonic origin. I think you meant "boundary conditions".
    Nicht? :-)

    *TimDaniels*

  5. Re: HD Backup ?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    >> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway. Who cares with hard drive space so cheap now.
    >> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

    > Each English alphabets themselves are images, aren't they?

    Nope, thats ideograph languages like chinese.

    > Each word you speaking and writing are English, right?

    Irrelevant to what makes most sense with software.

    > Why waste time preparing a video when you could use a few lines of English?

    Why bother to remember command line switches when you can just click on the function you require ?

  6. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously House Of The White Rose wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    >> @mid.individual.net:

    >>> There is a Windows-port and it should work. Or are Windows
    >>> users only able to click and not to type?
    >>>
    >>> Arno
    >>>

    >> It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind
    >> many moons ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is
    >> it that Linux geeks think they are better just because they have
    >> remember a million or so text commands? **** that ****.

    > Oh, so you want only to be able to do what your
    > GUI designer anticipated you might want to do?

    Just as true of command line switches.

    > I have no issue whith that.

    > The commandline gives me the power to command.

    Only within what the designer chose to include in the switches available.

    > The GUI turns you into somebody controlled and managed in his desires.

    Just like the command line switches do.

    > It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some applications.

    Mindlessly silly with something like Office.

    There's **** all of that anymore.

    > Or why do you think the MS powershell is such a big deal?

    It aint.

  7. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On 6 Jun 2008 11:08:26 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
    >> to keyboard and composed:

    >>> Or are Windows
    >>> users only able to click and not to type?
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> I'd say that was an accurate observation. The really "techy" ones can
    >> operate a Phillips head screwdriver as well.

    > A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    > in a tool-using species....

    They just use a different tool, the GUI.

  8. Re: troll alert!

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >> In addition, doing sector images has some border conditions,
    >> that are not allways easy to meet or obvious....

    > Now I *know* you're of the Science/Math ilk, but probably
    > not of Anglophonic origin. I think you meant "boundary conditions".
    > Nicht? :-)

    Hmm. True. I learned english in school.

    Arno

  9. Re: HD Backup ?

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:clfj445j473cf3p9jhdmk5d3hf9t64rdn5@4ax.com
    > On 6 Jun 2008 11:08:26 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > Or are Windows users only able to click and not to type?
    > >
    > > Arno

    > I'd say that was an accurate observation. The really "techy" ones can
    > operate a Phillips head screwdriver as well.

    You know yourself that well, huh?

    > - Franc Zabkar

  10. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubi8F38b2p6U2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:34:38 GMT, House Of The White Rose
    > > put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:6ask5aF36828fU1
    > > > @mid.individual.net:

    > > > It's not that we are unable to it's just that we left Dos behind many moons
    > > > ago and want to move forwards and not backwards. Why is it that Linux geeks
    > > > think they are better just because they have remember a million or so text
    > > > commands? **** that ****.

    > > One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    > > give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    > > 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?

    > > Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    > > blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    > > line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    > > down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    > > solution.

    > A GUI is neither more powerful, nor easier to use than a commandline.
    > It just gives that impression.

    > The best comment on GUI vs. commandline is still this one:
    >
    > What I saw in the Xerox PARC technology was the caveman interface, you
    > point and you grunt. A massive winding down, regressing away from
    > language, in order to address the technological nervousness of the
    > user. Users wanted to be infantilized, to return to a pre-linguistic
    > condition in the using of computers, and the Xerox PARC technology's
    > primary advantage was that it allowed users to address computers in a
    > pre-linguistic way. This was to my mind a terribly socially retrograde
    > thing to do, and I have not changed my mind about that." - Eben Moglen

    "A picture paints a thousand words"

    > Arno

  11. Re: troll alert!

    "Arno Wagner" replied:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >>> In addition, doing sector images has some border conditions,
    >>> that are not allways easy to meet or obvious....

    >> Now I *know* you're of the Science/Math ilk, but probably
    >> not of Anglophonic origin. I think you meant "boundary conditions".
    >> Nicht? :-)

    > Hmm. True. I learned english in school.

    As I dimly recall, you do work at CERN. What's new at the
    Swiss Splatter Lab?

    *TimDaniels*

  12. Re: troll alert!

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" replied:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Now I *know* you're of the Science/Math ilk, but probably
    >>> not of Anglophonic origin. I think you meant "boundary conditions".
    >>> Nicht? :-)

    >> Hmm. True. I learned english in school.

    > As I dimly recall, you do work at CERN. What's new at the
    > Swiss Splatter Lab?

    Hehe, no. I have no connection with our local black-hole
    creators.

    Arno

  13. Re: HD Backup ?

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:57:29 +0800, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.
    >> Who cares with hard drive space so cheap now.
    >> Who cares when the system has to be able to handle a decent GUI anyway.

    >Each English alphabets themselves are images, aren't they?
    >Each word you speaking and writing are English, right?
    >Why waste time preparing a video when you could use a few
    >lines of English?

    A Windows user will send you a "hello there" email encapsulated in a
    ..doc attachment, or a PowerPoint presentation, ie 30K bytes instead of
    a dozen or so, plus the occasional 30KB trojan.

    - Franc Zabkar

  14. Re: HD Backup ?

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:50:44 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message

    >> One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    >> give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    >> 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?
    >>

    >Boot to Safe Mode CMD, recovery console, Win PE CD, etc.

    My experience with XP's "recovery" console is detailed here:

    Quirks in Scandisk, Chkdsk, Fixmbr, Fixboot:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...85a5053496473f
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/69nd3e

    I spent more than a day recovering an XP file system that had been
    trashed by XP's Fixboot, and only then by using Win98's disc tools. I
    finally had to reconstruct XP's boot sector by hand.

    FIXBOOT trashes an XP file system in a FAT32 volume by overwriting the
    boot sector with a FAT12 template. FIXMBR rewrites the MBR, tells you
    that it was successful, but then complains that the MBR is broken the
    very next time you run it. CHKDSK doesn't.

    - Franc Zabkar

  15. Re: HD Backup ?

    Franc Zabkar wrote in

    > One of the reasons I'm sticking with Win98SE is that Win XP doesn't
    > give me the control that DOS does when the GUI breaks. What do Windows
    > 2K/XP/Vista users do with their clicker when that happens?
    >
    > Just look at some of the posters in this forum. I can almost see their
    > blank stares when someone suggests that they resort to the command
    > line to troubleshoot their systems. I reckon some of them would fall
    > down in a screaming heap if they weren't presented with a clickable
    > solution.
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar

    Simple. You click on system restore or boot to your Vista disk and click on
    the repair otions. Command line is for Luddites.

  16. Re: HD Backup ?

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in

    > Text uses a lot less bandwidth, disk space, CPU cycles and
    > memory than pictures.

    I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to
    conserve cpu cycles or care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC
    here.

  17. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6auc7cF39fpriU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > It is maybe 20 often used commands, even counting some
    > applications. Quite laughable in comparison to the
    > number of terms and concepts you learn in a few weeks
    > in school. If you cannot deal with that, then you are
    > truely limited for a human being.

    Nice. Turn a discussion about the advantages of GUI vs CMD into a comment
    on my value as a human being. What a sewer rat.

  18. Re: HD Backup ?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6aubk9F38b2p6U3
    @mid.individual.net:

    > A sad state of affairs, when the tool-users are a minorty
    > in a tool-using species....
    >
    > Arno

    You do know you can add command line switches if needed to shortcut icons,
    right? Only difference is I don't haved to remember what each switch is
    every time I want to run it. Luddite!

  19. Re: HD Backup ?

    > I have 3.4GHZ C2D, 4GB ram and over 1TB of disk space. I don't need to
    > conserve cpu cycles or care about bandwidth. I'm not running an IBM XT PC
    > here.

    You don't understand the value of pure text in
    remote administration.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.5
    ^ ^ 15:15:01 up 1 day 1:45 1 user load average: 1.09 1.07 1.01
    ? ? (CSSA):

  20. Re: HD Backup ?

    > You don't understand the value of pure text in
    > remote administration.

    Why should I when I don't do remote admin?