Windows 2003 LUN Expansion - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 LUN Expansion - Storage ; All, I have a promise SAN that i have expanded the available space on one of the published luns. I added a few TB of space. The rebuild went great. However i am unable to get windows to see the ...

  1. Windows 2003 LUN Expansion

    All,

    I have a promise SAN that i have expanded the available space on one of
    the published luns. I added a few TB of space. The rebuild went great.
    However i am unable to get windows to see the new space on the published
    lun. The OS is still seeing the same 2 TB that i had there previously. I
    have tried rescanning the BUS even droping and re adding the LUN. This
    is also a dynamic drive in a non cluster env. It is used for backup
    storage. Anything else i can try?

    Noah

  2. Re: Windows 2003 LUN Expansion

    The entire storage stack (HBA, firmware, drivers, etc.) must support >2TB
    LUNs - not all of them do. Windows Server does for GPT disks, but you need
    to verify with the vendor all other parts of the stack. Basically, what is
    happening is Windows is reporting back what the drivers are telling it.

    Pat

    "Noah" wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I have a promise SAN that i have expanded the available space on one of
    > the published luns. I added a few TB of space. The rebuild went great.
    > However i am unable to get windows to see the new space on the published
    > lun. The OS is still seeing the same 2 TB that i had there previously. I
    > have tried rescanning the BUS even droping and re adding the LUN. This is
    > also a dynamic drive in a non cluster env. It is used for backup storage.
    > Anything else i can try?
    >

    > Noah

  3. Re: Windows 2003 LUN Expansion

    Furthermore, if your disk is an MBR disk, in order to convert to GPT, you
    need to remove the partition(s), hence you need a good (tested) backup and
    restore procedure !

    rgsd,
    Edwin.

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > The entire storage stack (HBA, firmware, drivers, etc.) must support >2TB
    > LUNs - not all of them do. Windows Server does for GPT disks, but you

    need
    > to verify with the vendor all other parts of the stack. Basically, what

    is
    > happening is Windows is reporting back what the drivers are telling it.
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Noah" wrote in message
    > > All,
    > >
    > > I have a promise SAN that i have expanded the available space on one of
    > > the published luns. I added a few TB of space. The rebuild went great.
    > > However i am unable to get windows to see the new space on the published
    > > lun. The OS is still seeing the same 2 TB that i had there previously. I
    > > have tried rescanning the BUS even droping and re adding the LUN. This

    is
    > > also a dynamic drive in a non cluster env. It is used for backup

    storage.
    > > Anything else i can try?
    > >

    > > Noah

+ Reply to Thread