Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2 - Storage

This is a discussion on Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2 - Storage ; I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it ...

  1. Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2

    I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using
    the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to
    check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it
    fails with "The disk management services could not complete the
    operation".

    I've been all over trying to figure this out to no avail. There is
    another volume on the same SAN that's 1tb, so I tried to convert it
    and it worked just fine. So, I'm assuming this is an issue due to the
    size of the volume.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2

    To handle volumes larger than 2TB, the entire storage stack needs to support
    it (including the iSCSI initiator & iSCSI target software) - not all of them
    do.

    You should probably contact the vendor and find out if their iSCSI supports
    >2TB disks.

    Pat

    ..
    wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using
    > the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to
    > check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it
    > fails with "The disk management services could not complete the
    > operation".
    >
    > I've been all over trying to figure this out to no avail. There is
    > another volume on the same SAN that's 1tb, so I tried to convert it
    > and it worked just fine. So, I'm assuming this is an issue due to the
    > size of the volume.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2

    Contact your storage vendor. Many don't support volumes larger than 2TB.

    wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using
    > the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to
    > check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it
    > fails with "The disk management services could not complete the
    > operation".
    >
    > I've been all over trying to figure this out to no avail. There is
    > another volume on the same SAN that's 1tb, so I tried to convert it
    > and it worked just fine. So, I'm assuming this is an issue due to the
    > size of the volume.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  4. Re: Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2

    1) check if your SAN is supporting larger than 2TB
    2) ensure you choose GPT or convert to GPT prior to creating partitions

    rgds,
    Edwin.

    wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using
    > the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to
    > check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it
    > fails with "The disk management services could not complete the
    > operation".
    >
    > I've been all over trying to figure this out to no avail. There is
    > another volume on the same SAN that's 1tb, so I tried to convert it
    > and it worked just fine. So, I'm assuming this is an issue due to the
    > size of the volume.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  5. Re: Can't create a dynamic disk larger than 2tb on 2003 SP2

    wrote in message
    > I'm trying to create a dynamic disk on an iSCSI SAN that's 3tb. Using
    > the compmgmt console, it says "The operation did not complete" and to
    > check the event log, though nothing is in there. If I use diskpart it
    > fails with "The disk management services could not complete the
    > operation".
    >
    > I've been all over trying to figure this out to no avail. There is
    > another volume on the same SAN that's 1tb, so I tried to convert it
    > and it worked just fine. So, I'm assuming this is an issue due to the
    > size of the volume.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Use SCSI Utility to send a READ CAPACITY to your SAN LUN to see what it's
    calculated size is.

    M.

+ Reply to Thread