hard drive clicks and freezes - Storage

This is a discussion on hard drive clicks and freezes - Storage ; I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of ...

  1. hard drive clicks and freezes

    I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    happen again. Could this be a heat issue?

    Hugh

  2. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    On May 5, 9:01*pm, "Hugh Sutherland" wrote:
    > I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    > noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    > freeze & I have to RESET. *is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    > to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    > happen again. *Could this be a heat issue?
    >
    > Hugh

    There are probably several possible reasons, but the most likely is an
    impending failure. Copy off your critical data NOW.

    Once you have your data safe, you can 'play' with other possible
    causes.

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  3. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Hugh Sutherland wrote:

    > I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking noise like the read/write head is resetting
    > and sometimes the system will freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going to happen

    It can be. Post the Everest SMART report on the drive.

    > or wot cause

    It can be due to other problems too, like the power supply failing.

    > when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may happen again. Could this be a heat issue?

    It can be. Everest will show you the drive temperature in the SMART report for the drive.

  4. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Previously Hugh Sutherland wrote:
    > I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    > noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    > freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    > to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    > happen again. Could this be a heat issue?

    Sounds very much like heat, but heat also kills drives, so
    it may also be an imminent death issue...

    If these are drives with SMART, get the attributes
    ans look for anything suspicuous (or post them here).

    Arno

  5. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Previously mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > On May 5, 9:01*pm, "Hugh Sutherland" wrote:
    >> I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    >> noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    >> freeze & I have to RESET. *is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    >> to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    >> happen again. *Could this be a heat issue?
    >>
    >> Hugh

    > There are probably several possible reasons, but the most likely is an
    > impending failure. Copy off your critical data NOW.

    Good advice for any suspicuous HDD behaviour!

    > Once you have your data safe, you can 'play' with other possible
    > causes.

    Indeed.

    Arno

  6. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    this usually happens after I watch a video then it will freeze and I have to
    reboot a cpl of times

    "Hugh Sutherland" wrote in message
    >I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    >noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    >freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    >to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    >happen again. Could this be a heat issue?
    >
    > Hugh

  7. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:689k07F2sb73rU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously mscotgrove@aol.com wrote:
    > > On May 5, 9:01 pm, "Hugh Sutherland" wrote:
    > > > I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking
    > > > noise like the read/write head is resetting and sometimes the system will
    > > > freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going
    > > > to happen or wot cause when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may
    > > > happen again. Could this be a heat issue?
    > > >
    > > > Hugh

    > > There are probably several possible reasons, but the most likely is an
    > > impending failure. Copy off your critical data NOW.

    > Good advice for any suspicuous HDD behaviour!

    Isn't it nice to have the babblebot's approval.
    That even someone as lowly as yourself, way below babblebot's standing,
    can get something right once in a while. That must be so rewarding.

    > > Once you have your data safe, you can 'play' with other possible
    > > causes.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > Arno

  8. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Rod Speed wrote in news:689ckkF2qu1rlU1@mid.individual.net
    > Hugh Sutherland wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 40 & 20 gig HD and every once in awhile it will make a clicking noise like the read/write head is resetting
    > > and sometimes the system will freeze & I have to RESET. is this indicitive of a hard drive failure going to happen

    > It can be. Post the Everest SMART report on the drive.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    >
    > > or wot cause

    > It can be due to other problems too, like the power supply failing.
    >
    > > when I reboot it's ok for awhile then later it may happen again.
    > > Could this be a heat issue?

    > It can be.

    Yup, obviously the temperature drops immediately when you reboot.

    > Everest will show you the drive temperature in the SMART report for the drive.

  9. Re: hard drive clicks and freezes

    Squeeze wrote

    Yep, thats why it needs more than one reboot, ****wit.

    >> Everest will show you the drive temperature in the SMART report for the drive.

+ Reply to Thread