notebook SATA drives? - Storage

This is a discussion on notebook SATA drives? - Storage ; Do 2.5" SATA drives have the same interface as 3.5" drives? If you want to upgrade your notebook's hard drive, and the notebook does not have a second drive bay, how do you do it? Thanks -AH...

  1. notebook SATA drives?

    Do 2.5" SATA drives have the same interface as 3.5" drives?

    If you want to upgrade your notebook's hard drive, and the notebook
    does not have a second drive bay, how do you do it?

    Thanks

    -AH

  2. Re: notebook SATA drives?

    On May 5, 7:05*am, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
    > Do 2.5" SATA drives have the same interface as 3.5" drives?

    Yes

    > If you want to upgrade your notebook's hard drive, and the notebook
    > does not have a second drive bay, how do you do it?

    External USB enclosure

    > Thanks
    >
    > -AH

  3. Re: notebook SATA drives?

    On May 5, 7:05 am, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
    > Do 2.5" SATA drives have the same interface as 3.5" drives?
    > If you want to upgrade your notebook's hard drive, and the notebook
    > does not have a second drive bay, how do you do it?
    > Thanks
    > -AH

    wrote in message
    Yes

    External USB enclosure

    Andrew:
    Another consideration would be to purchase an ExpressCard with an eSATA port
    so that you could connect a SATA external HDD to that device. See, for
    example, http://www.meritline.com/1x-e-sata2-...xpresscard.htm

    This assumes, of course, that your notebook is equipped with an ExpressCard
    slot. If it has the older CardBus (PCMCIA) slot then you would need the
    latter type of device. They come with both a "normal" SATA port as well as
    an eSATA port. Do a Google search on "Cardbus with SATA port" for various
    models.

    The great advantage of the SATA interface over the USB interface is data
    transfer speed. Considerably superior to USB. Also, (at least in theory)
    with the ExpressCard device, the external SATA HDD connected to that device
    is bootable assuming the drive contains a bootable OS obtained via a
    disk-cloning program such as the Acronis or Casper programs. We're still
    experimenting with that aspect. But we have never been able to achieve
    "bootability" with the CardBus device.
    Anna

  4. Re: notebook SATA drives?

    Previously Anna wrote:

    > On May 5, 7:05 am, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
    >> Do 2.5" SATA drives have the same interface as 3.5" drives?
    >> If you want to upgrade your notebook's hard drive, and the notebook
    >> does not have a second drive bay, how do you do it?
    >> Thanks
    >> -AH

    > wrote in message
    > Yes

    > External USB enclosure

    > Andrew:
    > Another consideration would be to purchase an ExpressCard with an eSATA port
    > so that you could connect a SATA external HDD to that device. See, for
    > example, http://www.meritline.com/1x-e-sata2-...xpresscard.htm

    > This assumes, of course, that your notebook is equipped with an ExpressCard
    > slot. If it has the older CardBus (PCMCIA) slot then you would need the
    > latter type of device. They come with both a "normal" SATA port as well as
    > an eSATA port. Do a Google search on "Cardbus with SATA port" for various
    > models.

    > The great advantage of the SATA interface over the USB interface is data
    > transfer speed. Considerably superior to USB. Also, (at least in theory)
    > with the ExpressCard device, the external SATA HDD connected to that device
    > is bootable assuming the drive contains a bootable OS obtained via a
    > disk-cloning program such as the Acronis or Casper programs. We're still
    > experimenting with that aspect. But we have never been able to achieve
    > "bootability" with the CardBus device.
    > Anna

    There is one more advantage to eSATA: You can query the SMART attributes
    and run SMART selftests. To me that is worth the extra cost of getting
    combined USB+eSATA enclosures, with USB for conveniennce.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread