Need data off ESDI hard drive - Storage

This is a discussion on Need data off ESDI hard drive - Storage ; Hello. I have a hard drive removed from an old PS/2 machine that is an ESDI drive (with the solitary edge connector -- IBM WDL-330P). Is there a reasonable way to do this using contemporary components? Are there data shops ...

  1. Need data off ESDI hard drive

    Hello.

    I have a hard drive removed from an old PS/2 machine that is an ESDI drive
    (with the solitary edge connector -- IBM WDL-330P).

    Is there a reasonable way to do this using contemporary components?
    Are there data shops that do this? It's only a 30 MB drive, so its
    entire contents would fit on the smallest thumb drive.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Need data off ESDI hard drive

    Jill wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I have a hard drive removed from an old PS/2 machine that is an ESDI drive
    > (with the solitary edge connector -- IBM WDL-330P).
    >
    > Is there a reasonable way to do this using contemporary components?
    > Are there data shops that do this? It's only a 30 MB drive, so its
    > entire contents would fit on the smallest thumb drive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I think a better bet would be to resurrect an old system from that era
    and then LapLink the data across. I seriously doubt you'll find any
    contemporary system capable of reading it.

  3. Re: Need data off ESDI hard drive

    Previously Jill wrote:
    > Hello.

    > I have a hard drive removed from an old PS/2 machine that is an ESDI drive
    > (with the solitary edge connector -- IBM WDL-330P).

    > Is there a reasonable way to do this using contemporary components?
    > Are there data shops that do this? It's only a 30 MB drive, so its
    > entire contents would fit on the smallest thumb drive.

    Any well equiped data-recovery outfit should be able to help
    you. Just get a quote.

    For DIY you need an ESDI controller and driver and a mainboard
    that has the correct slot for the controller. There are
    EADI drives for the ISA slot, and you can still get industrial
    mainboards that have one. Also a lot of people have older boards
    with ISA slots lying around.

    On the software side, DOS plus driver should do the trick,
    you may have to transfer the data via floppy though. Linux
    may also be able to access an ESDI drive, at least the ISA
    variant which, I think, is actually compatible to the old
    MFM/RLL controller interface. Not sure about that though.

    Arno

  4. Re: Need data off ESDI hard drive

    In article <481e6126$0$87075$815e3792@news.qwest.net>, Jill
    writes

    >I have a hard drive removed from an old PS/2 machine that is an ESDI drive
    >(with the solitary edge connector -- IBM WDL-330P).
    >
    >Is there a reasonable way to do this using contemporary components?

    Not really.

    The problem with the ESDI drives used in PS/2s is that they used a non-
    standard single edge connector. Standard ESDI drives used three
    connectors for power, data and control. You could probably make up a
    cable with an edge connector for your drive, find out the pinouts, and
    by splitting the ribbon, run power, control and data to the drive from a
    conventional ESDI controller card, but this would take time and there
    would be no guarantee of success. In particular, I seem to remember
    that there are variants of ESDI with different data clocks, and IBM
    loved to customise its hardware to make it difficult to replace with
    off-the-shelf components.

    You'd be best tracking down and borrowing a surviving machine, the same
    model as the PS/2 in which the drive originally lived, installing it and
    copying off the data using serial, network, whatever. A parallel port
    connection using DOS 6 Interserv/Interlnk would probably be quickest and
    easiest.

    A Google suggests that drive was used in the PS/2 Models 25-286 and
    30-286. Of those, the 30-286 was by far the more common machine. You
    will very probably also need the reference disk, which contains the
    setup utility, to configure the machine once you have installed the
    drive in it.

    You will get more help if you post in comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware.

    --
    (\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
    (='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

+ Reply to Thread