Dual-channel PCI IDE card? - Storage

This is a discussion on Dual-channel PCI IDE card? - Storage ; I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives. And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually speed-limiting. ...

  1. Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.

    And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    speed-limiting.

    For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    drive is paralyzed.

    This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    cables, connected to separate channels on the card.

    So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

  2. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.

    > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    > speed-limiting.

    > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    > drive is paralyzed.

    > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    > Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    > cables, connected to separate channels on the card.

    > So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    This sounds strange. Maybe your bottleneck is the driver instead?

    If not, I have made good experience with the Promise non-RAID
    cards. With one drive on each channel, you can even do
    softrware RAID on both drives without trouble.

    Arno

  3. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    On or about 4 May 2008 02:21:41 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    thusly:

    >Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >> I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.

    >> And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    >> with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    >> speed-limiting.

    >> For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    >> other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    >> If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    >> drive is paralyzed.

    >> This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    >> Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    >> cables, connected to separate channels on the card.

    >> So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    >This sounds strange. Maybe your bottleneck is the driver instead?

    I'm pretty sure it's the hardware. It's two IDE channels, but they're sharing
    one bus connection, which I saw confirmed somewhere that was selling a Sil
    0680 card.

    >If not, I have made good experience with the Promise non-RAID
    >cards. With one drive on each channel, you can even do
    >softrware RAID on both drives without trouble.

    I'll have a look at them. Thanks.

  4. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    I have no problems copying at 4X between DVD on the same Intel IDE channel.
    That's 6MB/s, it should go faster. Are your applications using SPTI, not ASPI?

    "Mike Ruskai" wrote in message
    newsqvp14h2m643ojskvgs6im0bfkubsf9d1c@4ax.com...
    >I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.
    >
    > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    > speed-limiting.
    >
    > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    > drive is paralyzed.
    >
    > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.
    >
    > Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    > cables, connected to separate channels on the card.
    >
    > So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

  5. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.
    >
    > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    > speed-limiting.
    >
    > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    > drive is paralyzed.
    >
    > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    I know this is the low-tech solution, but why not just do a
    store-and-burn? That way each drive will be run at different times, and
    you won't have any data contention problems.

    > Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    > cables, connected to separate channels on the card.
    >
    > So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    How about getting a SATA DVD burner? All SATA drives are their own
    masters. DVD burners are cheaper than any external IDE controller solution.

    Yousuf Khan

  6. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    On or about Mon, 05 May 2008 11:46:30 -0400 did Yousuf Khan
    dribble thusly:

    >Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >> I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.
    >>
    >> And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    >> with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    >> speed-limiting.
    >>
    >> For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    >> other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    >> If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    >> drive is paralyzed.
    >>
    >> This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    >I know this is the low-tech solution, but why not just do a
    >store-and-burn? That way each drive will be run at different times, and
    >you won't have any data contention problems.

    I think you misunderstood. I don't mean reading from one and burning to the
    other, I mean burning to both at the same time from either the same source
    (when I want multiple copies of the same data), or two different sources.

    I actually have three DVD drives, and I can burn to two at once, provided that
    one is the burner attached to the motherboard's single IDE channel.

    It's not infrequent that I'd want to burn three discs at a time, but I can't
    due to the limitations of the controller.

    >> Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    >> cables, connected to separate channels on the card.
    >>
    >> So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    >How about getting a SATA DVD burner? All SATA drives are their own
    >masters. DVD burners are cheaper than any external IDE controller solution.

    Last I looked, SATA ATAPI devices were problematic at best. And certainly
    more expensive than an IDE controller, if I could find one that will work.

    So far it's looking like those that might be suitably independent don't
    support ATAPI devices (Highpoint Rocket 133), or should support them but
    apparently don't, due to poor firmware (Promise Ultra 133TX2).

    I even tried adding a single-channel PCIe-to-IDE adapter from StarTech, but it
    was atrocious - transferred at about 1.6x max DVD speed, and made the entire
    system jittery while doing so.

    It's making me more and more annoyed that SCSI has been abandoned in the
    burner market, since I could otherwise have easily attached all three drives
    to a single adapter, each running at full speed.

    It has been a while since I looked at SATA, however, so I'll revisit that
    option.

  7. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >> Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >>> And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    >>> with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    >>> speed-limiting.
    >>>
    >>> For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    >>> other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    >>> If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    >>> drive is paralyzed.
    >>>
    >>> This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    >> I know this is the low-tech solution, but why not just do a
    >> store-and-burn? That way each drive will be run at different times, and
    >> you won't have any data contention problems.

    > I think you misunderstood. I don't mean reading from one and burning to the
    > other, I mean burning to both at the same time from either the same source
    > (when I want multiple copies of the same data), or two different sources.

    Well, yes, above you had talked about one drive reading while ripping,
    so it sounded like you were talking about reading and writing
    simultaneously, not writing and writing. But then you talked about
    writing and writing briefly later, so it sounded like it was a side issue.

    Anyways, regardless, I've also occasionally tried to write to two drives
    at the same time. It was a disaster for speed, though there were no
    media errors in the final product, so it was relatively reliable.

    >> How about getting a SATA DVD burner? All SATA drives are their own
    >> masters. DVD burners are cheaper than any external IDE controller solution.

    > Last I looked, SATA ATAPI devices were problematic at best. And certainly
    > more expensive than an IDE controller, if I could find one that will work.

    Well, I haven't heard of any problems with SATA burners, but I won't
    doubt they may have had some in the past. You can pick up a SATA burner
    for between $20-25 on Ebay.

    Yousuf Khan

  8. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    > I actually have three DVD drives, and I can burn to two at once, provided that
    > one is the burner attached to the motherboard's single IDE channel.
    >
    > It's not infrequent that I'd want to burn three discs at a time, but I can't
    > due to the limitations of the controller.

    PCI Latency Tool may help.
    Make sure no devices' latency is too high (cause bus hogging),
    and that the IDE devices are similar (64 is a common value).

  9. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Mike Ruskai wrote in news:jq6v14t5k6lmr6cej7n9rc7rbssjvjdfb5@4ax.com
    > On or about Mon, 05 May 2008 11:46:30 -0400 did Yousuf Khan
    > dribble thusly:
    >
    > > Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > > > I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.
    > > >
    > > > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    > > > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    > > > speed-limiting.
    > > >
    > > > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    > > > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    > > > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    > > > drive is paralyzed.
    > > >
    > > > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    > > I know this is the low-tech solution, but why not just do a
    > > store-and-burn? That way each drive will be run at different times, and
    > > you won't have any data contention problems.

    > I think you misunderstood.

    Oy, watch it bud, this is Yousuf you're talking to.
    CSIPHS KOOK of the year award nominee.

  10. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > > I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.

    > > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    > > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    > > speed-limiting.

    > > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    > > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    > > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    > > drive is paralyzed.

    > > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    > > Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    > > cables, connected to separate channels on the card.

    > > So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    > This sounds strange. Maybe your bottleneck is the driver instead?
    >
    > If not, I have made good experience with the Promise non-RAID
    > cards. With one drive on each channel, you can even do
    > softrware RAID on both drives without trouble.
    >
    > Arno

    Hello, Arno:

    Are you implying that DVD drives can be RAIDed, perhaps?

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  11. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Previously John Turco wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >> Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >> > I need a PCI card with two independent IDE channels to drive two DVD drives.

    >> > And I emphasize *independent*, because I currently have a Sil 0680-based card
    >> > with two IDE channels, but they are not independent. They are mutually
    >> > speed-limiting.

    >> > For example, when ripping two DVDs, if one is only able to read at 3x, the
    >> > other is also limited to 3x, even though alone it would be able to read at 5x.
    >> > If one runs into a read error, and loops through a few retries, the other
    >> > drive is paralyzed.

    >> > This also prevents both from burning reliably at the same time.

    >> > Just to be clear, both DVD drives are the master IDE devices on separate
    >> > cables, connected to separate channels on the card.

    >> > So, anyone know of a card with truly independent channels?

    >> This sounds strange. Maybe your bottleneck is the driver instead?
    >>
    >> If not, I have made good experience with the Promise non-RAID
    >> cards. With one drive on each channel, you can even do
    >> softrware RAID on both drives without trouble.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > Hello, Arno:

    > Are you implying that DVD drives can be RAIDed, perhaps?

    Well, they can, but it does not make a whole lot of sense ;-)

    Seriously, a software RAID1 load is massively slowed down when
    both drives are on one IDE channel. With the Promise cards,
    it is not when the two drives are on two channels. With this
    my statement becomes relevant to the OP's question.

    Arno

  12. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    On or about Tue, 06 May 2008 12:11:47 -0400 did Yousuf Khan
    dribble thusly:

    >Anyways, regardless, I've also occasionally tried to write to two drives
    >at the same time. It was a disaster for speed, though there were no
    >media errors in the final product, so it was relatively reliable.

    The trick is to either have a 8+ drive stripe, or use different spindles for
    the two burns.

    >>> How about getting a SATA DVD burner? All SATA drives are their own
    >>> masters. DVD burners are cheaper than any external IDE controller solution.

    >> Last I looked, SATA ATAPI devices were problematic at best. And certainly
    >> more expensive than an IDE controller, if I could find one that will work.

    >Well, I haven't heard of any problems with SATA burners, but I won't
    >doubt they may have had some in the past. You can pick up a SATA burner
    >for between $20-25 on Ebay.

    I've ordered an Asus SATA burner, so I'll see how that turns out.

  13. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    On or about 9 May 2008 09:04:00 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    thusly:

    >Seriously, a software RAID1 load is massively slowed down when
    >both drives are on one IDE channel. With the Promise cards,
    >it is not when the two drives are on two channels. With this
    >my statement becomes relevant to the OP's question.

    Not necessarily. If the card is handling the RAID, then it's equivalent to
    only one drive. The card may be easily able to read/write from/to both drives
    independently, but it's only using the bus for one logical drive.

    If you really want to know whether it's relevant to my original question
    (independent DVD drive use), you'd have to confirm that a software RAID0 array
    on the card works, since then both hard drives are transferring data on the
    bus.

    As it happens, the Promise cards have a reputation for not supporting ATAPI
    properly, so it doesn't much matter whether the channels are truly
    independant, as far as I'm concerned.

  14. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > On or about 9 May 2008 09:04:00 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    > thusly:

    >>Seriously, a software RAID1 load is massively slowed down when
    >>both drives are on one IDE channel. With the Promise cards,
    >>it is not when the two drives are on two channels. With this
    >>my statement becomes relevant to the OP's question.

    > Not necessarily. If the card is handling the RAID, then it's
    > equivalent to only one drive. The card may be easily able to
    > read/write from/to both drives independently, but it's only using
    > the bus for one logical drive.

    .... "software RAID" ...

    > If you really want to know whether it's relevant to my original
    > question (independent DVD drive use), you'd have to confirm that a
    > software RAID0 array on the card works, since then both hard drives
    > are transferring data on the bus.

    > As it happens, the Promise cards have a reputation for not
    > supporting ATAPI properly, so it doesn't much matter whether the
    > channels are truly independant, as far as I'm concerned.

    Some people claim that is a myth. I would'nt know.

    Arno

  15. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    On or about 10 May 2008 15:48:01 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    thusly:

    >Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >> On or about 9 May 2008 09:04:00 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    >> thusly:

    >>>Seriously, a software RAID1 load is massively slowed down when
    >>>both drives are on one IDE channel. With the Promise cards,
    >>>it is not when the two drives are on two channels. With this
    >>>my statement becomes relevant to the OP's question.

    >> Not necessarily. If the card is handling the RAID, then it's
    >> equivalent to only one drive. The card may be easily able to
    >> read/write from/to both drives independently, but it's only using
    >> the bus for one logical drive.

    >... "software RAID" ...

    Ambiguous. Software RAID 1 on a single IDE channel, or some unspecified type
    of RAID 1 on a RAID adapter. I saw it as a comparison between what's
    available with and without said RAID adapter. Hence, "Not necessarily", as
    opposed to "no, you're wrong, blah blah".

    >> If you really want to know whether it's relevant to my original
    >> question (independent DVD drive use), you'd have to confirm that a
    >> software RAID0 array on the card works, since then both hard drives
    >> are transferring data on the bus.

    >> As it happens, the Promise cards have a reputation for not
    >> supporting ATAPI properly, so it doesn't much matter whether the
    >> channels are truly independant, as far as I'm concerned.

    >Some people claim that is a myth. I would'nt know.

    When several different people who have bought the card post about the same
    kind of problem, I give it some weight. It may be that the card does in fact
    share bus communication between the channels, so that someone using a hard
    drive on one channel and a DVD burner on the other gets poor results when
    trying to write to the latter from the former. Either way, if several people
    complain about DVD drives not working, it's not exactly a good bet for me to
    buy it for nothing but DVD drives.

    In any case, I have since purchased an Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA drive, which so
    far seems to be working just fine. I can't say I understand the label of
    "20x" DVD write speed, when it never gets above 16x during a full disc write
    (on Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC media) . And strangely enough, it actually slows
    down near the end, while all the other burners I've had speed up near the end,
    when the linear speed of the media under the laser is at max.

    But at least now I can use three drives at a time at full speed.

  16. Re: Dual-channel PCI IDE card?

    Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    > On or about 10 May 2008 15:48:01 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    > thusly:

    >>Previously Mike Ruskai wrote:
    >>> On or about 9 May 2008 09:04:00 GMT did Arno Wagner dribble
    >>> thusly:

    >>> Not necessarily. If the card is handling the RAID, then it's
    >>> equivalent to only one drive. The card may be easily able to
    >>> read/write from/to both drives independently, but it's only using
    >>> the bus for one logical drive.

    >>... "software RAID" ...

    > Ambiguous. Software RAID 1 on a single IDE channel, or some unspecified type
    > of RAID 1 on a RAID adapter. I saw it as a comparison between what's
    > available with and without said RAID adapter. Hence, "Not necessarily", as
    > opposed to "no, you're wrong, blah blah".

    Since I never mentioned RAID adapters, what do you think
    I meant?

    >>> If you really want to know whether it's relevant to my original
    >>> question (independent DVD drive use), you'd have to confirm that a
    >>> software RAID0 array on the card works, since then both hard drives
    >>> are transferring data on the bus.

    >>> As it happens, the Promise cards have a reputation for not
    >>> supporting ATAPI properly, so it doesn't much matter whether the
    >>> channels are truly independant, as far as I'm concerned.

    >>Some people claim that is a myth. I would'nt know.

    > When several different people who have bought the card post about the same
    > kind of problem, I give it some weight. It may be that the card does in fact
    > share bus communication between the channels, so that someone using a hard
    > drive on one channel and a DVD burner on the other gets poor results when
    > trying to write to the latter from the former. Either way, if several people
    > complain about DVD drives not working, it's not exactly a good bet for me to
    > buy it for nothing but DVD drives.

    > In any case, I have since purchased an Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA drive, which so
    > far seems to be working just fine. I can't say I understand the label of
    > "20x" DVD write speed, when it never gets above 16x during a full disc write
    > (on Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC media).

    That is, I bleive, called design for marketing. There will be
    one specific media it can do 20x with, but only the one....

    > And strangely enough, it actually slows down near the end, while
    > all the other burners I've had speed up near the end, when the
    > linear speed of the media under the laser is at max.

    Maybe it has problems with vibration. That is wors towards the end.

    > But at least now I can use three drives at a time at full speed.

    Good. So I see your problem is solved.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread