Having a problem installing two Sata drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Having a problem installing two Sata drives - Storage ; Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb. Trying to install two Sata drives. I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both drives normally. using sil 3114 drivers I have managed to install xp on the first one, and ...

  1. Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb.

    Trying to install two Sata drives.

    I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both
    drives normally.

    using sil 3114 drivers

    I have managed to install xp on the first one, and just format the
    second one for storage use.

    The only raid setup that seems appropriate is the sil jbod.

    When I set them both to this setting I get a MBR error 1

    If I remove the jbod from the 2nd one the 1st one will boot ok.
    but, then you dont see the 2nd one.

    having problems here ... help !!!

    thanks
    mike

    --
    Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PCForumz.com interface
    Thread archive: http://www.PCForumz.com/problem-inst...pict87543.html

  2. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Previously mike_in_sd wrote:
    > Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb.

    > Trying to install two Sata drives.

    > I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both
    > drives normally.

    > using sil 3114 drivers

    > I have managed to install xp on the first one, and just format the
    > second one for storage use.

    > The only raid setup that seems appropriate is the sil jbod.

    > When I set them both to this setting I get a MBR error 1

    JBOD throws all disks together into one large virtual drive. This is
    not what you want, unless you can make two separate JBODS of the
    disks. Even then a "raw", "pass-through" or the like setting would be
    better, as the JBOD can also change the geometry.

    > If I remove the jbod from the 2nd one the 1st one will boot ok.
    > but, then you dont see the 2nd one.

    Inded. As expected.

    > having problems here ... help !!!

    As far as I can tell from the datasheet, the Sil 3114 is not even
    a RAID controller, but a plain 4 port SATA controller. The RAID
    functionality resides in its BIOS. From the software documentation
    I gather that what you want is "PASS THRU" mode for each disk.
    There should be some way to set this, but you may have to use the
    OS utility for that, see page 18 of rev. 1.60 of the
    "SiI31xx SATARAID5 User's Guide" here:

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...ts.aspx?pid=28

    Regards,
    Arno

    > thanks
    > mike

    > --
    > Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PCForumz.com interface
    > Thread archive: http://www.PCForumz.com/problem-inst...pict87543.html

  3. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:681f8oF2r7b18U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously mike_in_sd wrote:
    > > Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb.

    > > Trying to install two Sata drives.

    > > I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both
    > > drives normally.

    > > using sil 3114 drivers

    > > I have managed to install xp on the first one, and just format the
    > > second one for storage use.

    > > The only raid setup that seems appropriate is the sil jbod.

    > > When I set them both to this setting I get a MBR error 1

    > JBOD throws all disks together into one large virtual drive. This is
    > not what you want, unless you can make two separate JBODS of the
    > disks. Even then a "raw", "pass-through" or the like setting would be
    > better, as the JBOD can also change the geometry.
    >
    > > If I remove the jbod from the 2nd one the 1st one will boot ok.
    > > but, then you dont see the 2nd one.

    > Inded. As expected.
    >
    > > having problems here ... help !!!

    > As far as I can tell from the datasheet, the Sil 3114 is not even
    > a RAID controller, but a plain 4 port SATA controller.

    Babblebot, clueless as always.
    The Sil 3114 is a chip, a 4-port SATA controller ASIC.

    > The RAID functionality resides in its BIOS.

    As it does in every RAID controller, hardware assisted or not.

    http://tweakers.net/reviews/557/3/co...-pagina-3.html
    http://tweakers.net/reviews/557/4/co...-pagina-4.html

    Even high-end RAID manufacturers use standard Marvell SATA controller
    ASICs with seperate Intel or Motorola processors to do the RAID code.
    So do Promise and HighPoint these days
    3ware do the same but design/manufacture both inhouse or have them made
    under their own label.

    > From the software documentation
    > I gather that what you want is "PASS THRU" mode for each disk.
    > There should be some way to set this, but you may have to use the
    > OS utility for that, see page 18 of rev. 1.60 of the
    > "SiI31xx SATARAID5 User's Guide" here:
    >
    > http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...ts.aspx?pid=28
    >
    > Regards,
    > Arno
    >
    > > thanks
    > > mike

    > > --
    > > Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PCForumz.com interface
    > > Thread archive: http://www.PCForumz.com/problem-inst...pict87543.html

  4. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > JBOD throws all disks together into one large virtual drive. This is
    > not what you want, unless you can make two separate JBODS of the
    > disks. Even then a "raw", "pass-through" or the like setting would be
    > better, as the JBOD can also change the geometry.

    Uh, just a nit, but throwing all HDs into a single virtual (non-RAID)
    drive is called spanning. I think of JBOD as not combining HDs into
    any larger entity, although the Webopedia definition seems to include
    spanning as a form of JBOD. Either way (mine or Webo's), JBOD does
    not always mean spanning.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  5. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Bob Willard wrote in news:XsOdnUpNVL9oxIHVnZ2dnUVZ_qKgnZ2d@comcast.com
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > >
    > > JBOD throws all disks together into one large virtual drive. This is
    > > not what you want, unless you can make two separate JBODS of the
    > > disks. Even then a "raw", "pass-through" or the like setting would be
    > > better, as the JBOD can also change the geometry.

    > Uh, just a nit, but throwing all HDs into a single virtual (non-RAID)
    > drive is called spanning.

    That too.

    > I think of JBOD as not combining HDs into any larger entity,

    That is JBOD as in JBOD enclosure.

    > although the Webopedia definition seems to include spanning as a form of JBOD.

    It's not just Webopedia. It's what controllers do.

    > Either way (mine or Webo's), JBOD does not always mean spanning.

    True.

  6. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    Previously Bob Willard wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >> JBOD throws all disks together into one large virtual drive. This is
    >> not what you want, unless you can make two separate JBODS of the
    >> disks. Even then a "raw", "pass-through" or the like setting would be
    >> better, as the JBOD can also change the geometry.

    > Uh, just a nit, but throwing all HDs into a single virtual (non-RAID)
    > drive is called spanning. I think of JBOD as not combining HDs into
    > any larger entity, although the Webopedia definition seems to include
    > spanning as a form of JBOD. Either way (mine or Webo's), JBOD does
    > not always mean spanning.

    Indeed. JBOD does not have any fixed meaning, it is just something
    some vendors came up with for the RAID challenged.

    However in the case at hand, the symptoms strongly suggest
    that the drives are combined in some form and that is what
    I was talking about, namely "JBOD in this controller".

    Arno

  7. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    What's wrong with the MB Chipset internal SATA?

    mike_in_sd wrote in news:435944_e043024fafc1eff6275b618919ca0110@pcfor umz.com
    > Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb.
    >
    > Trying to install two Sata drives.
    >
    > I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both
    > drives normally.
    >
    > using sil 3114 drivers
    >
    > I have managed to install xp on the first one, and just format the
    > second one for storage use.
    >
    > The only raid setup that seems appropriate is the sil jbod.
    >
    > When I set them both to this setting I get a MBR error 1
    >
    > If I remove the jbod from the 2nd one the 1st one will boot ok.
    > but, then you dont see the 2nd one.
    >
    > having problems here ... help !!!
    >
    > thanks
    > mike

  8. Re: Having a problem installing two Sata drives

    mike_in_sd wrote:
    > Using Gigabyte GA-K8N mb.
    >
    > Trying to install two Sata drives.
    >
    > I dont need/want any fancy raid config, I just want to use both
    > drives normally.
    >
    > using sil 3114 drivers
    >
    > I have managed to install xp on the first one, and just format the
    > second one for storage use.
    >
    > The only raid setup that seems appropriate is the sil jbod.
    >
    > When I set them both to this setting I get a MBR error 1
    >
    > If I remove the jbod from the 2nd one the 1st one will boot ok.
    > but, then you dont see the 2nd one.
    >
    > having problems here ... help !!!

    It sounds like you've screwed up your partition table on the second one,
    due to trying to run it as part of a RAID setup. The RAID setup puts
    metadata into the drive, usually on the first sector or track,
    overwriting what was there before (usually the partition table). It
    moves the partition table to another track, and hides the original first
    sector from the operating system. You're gonna have to repartition that
    second drive, which would mean losing data. Avoid all of the RAID
    options, next time, they're more hassle than they're worth.

    Yousuf Khan

+ Reply to Thread