Mobile racks and trays systems - Storage

This is a discussion on Mobile racks and trays systems - Storage ; I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp Does anyone have any experience with ...

  1. Mobile racks and trays systems

    I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD
    collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp

    Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home use? Do
    the drives cook? Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?
    Who makes a good one?

    Thanks
    Ken K

  2. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Previously ken k wrote:
    > I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    > out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD
    > collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp

    > Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home use? Do
    > the drives cook?

    I had a parir in a server that despitea 80mm fan and air-conditioned
    server room did not cool the disks well at all. I think there was
    not enough of an air-path in there. So be skeptic, even if there
    is a seemingly large enough fan.

    > Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?

    Depends on the quality of manufacturing.

    > Who makes a good one?

    Currently I don't have a source. Maybe someone else here knows.

    Arno

  3. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    "ken k" wrote:
    >I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    > out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD
    > collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home use?

    Actually, those are just the trays for the mobile racks. The entire
    assemblies are here: http://kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp .
    I've had a KF-101-IPF (with the 60mm cooling fan in the bottom of
    the tray) for about 4 years, now. It has held up fine, but I admit that
    I only use it for backups. They are all-aluminum except for the locking
    handle, and the bottom fan really keeps the hard drive cool and the fan
    is quiet. Unfortunately, the concept of a bottom fan has not sold well,
    and the bottom fan version has been discontinued in the IDE line and
    not carried over to the SATA line. What remains in the mobile rack
    line-up are the ones with 1 to 3 fans that blow straight through - a
    pleasingly intuitive concept, but a noisy one as the fans are only 40mm
    in diameter so they spin fast. I've heard that the plastic mobile racks
    made by Athena have bottom fans, and those are an alternative.

    > Do the drives cook? Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?

    A poster in a microsoft NG swears by Athena, and she says that
    being plastic doesn't reduce the cooling or longevity.

    > Who makes a good one?

    I like Kingwin for their large selection and reasonable prices.

    *TimDaniels*

  4. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "ken k" wrote:
    >>I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    >> out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD
    >> collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home use?

    > Actually, those are just the trays for the mobile racks. The entire
    > assemblies are here: http://kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp .
    > I've had a KF-101-IPF (with the 60mm cooling fan in the bottom of
    > the tray) for about 4 years, now. It has held up fine, but I admit that
    > I only use it for backups. They are all-aluminum except for the locking
    > handle, and the bottom fan really keeps the hard drive cool and the fan
    > is quiet. Unfortunately, the concept of a bottom fan has not sold well,
    > and the bottom fan version has been discontinued in the IDE line and
    > not carried over to the SATA line. What remains in the mobile rack
    > line-up are the ones with 1 to 3 fans that blow straight through - a
    > pleasingly intuitive concept, but a noisy one as the fans are only 40mm
    > in diameter so they spin fast. I've heard that the plastic mobile racks
    > made by Athena have bottom fans, and those are an alternative.

    From personal experience I agree that bottom fans are the better
    solution.

    >> Do the drives cook? Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?

    > A poster in a microsoft NG swears by Athena, and she says that
    > being plastic doesn't reduce the cooling or longevity.

    This would mean that the cooling is mainly by airflow.
    Not surprising.

    Arno

  5. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> "ken k" wrote:
    >>> I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system
    >>> to swap out hard drives which store data, such as my music and
    >>> video DVD collections. One such system is this:
    >>> http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home
    >>> use?

    >> Actually, those are just the trays for the mobile racks. The entire
    >> assemblies are here: http://kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp .
    >> I've had a KF-101-IPF (with the 60mm cooling fan in the bottom of
    >> the tray) for about 4 years, now. It has held up fine, but I admit that
    >> I only use it for backups. They are all-aluminum except for the locking
    >> handle, and the bottom fan really keeps the hard drive cool and the fan
    >> is quiet. Unfortunately, the concept of a bottom fan has not sold well,
    >> and the bottom fan version has been discontinued in the IDE line and
    >> not carried over to the SATA line. What remains in the mobile rack
    >> line-up are the ones with 1 to 3 fans that blow straight through - a
    >> pleasingly intuitive concept, but a noisy one as the fans are only 40mm
    >> in diameter so they spin fast. I've heard that the plastic mobile racks
    >> made by Athena have bottom fans, and those are an alternative.

    > From personal experience I agree that bottom fans are the better
    > solution.
    >
    >>> Do the drives cook? Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?

    >> A poster in a microsoft NG swears by Athena, and she says that
    >> being plastic doesn't reduce the cooling or longevity.

    > This would mean that the cooling is mainly by airflow.
    > Not surprising.

    Yes, there is little firm contact area between the hot parts
    of a hard drive and the tray that it is mounted in, so any conduction
    to the aluminum tray is minimal.

    But I meant longevity of the plastic pieces. The other poster
    is an IT consultant who recommends Athena to her clients, and
    there have been no reported problems resulting from their plastic
    construction.

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:67puroF2q9etfU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > > "ken k" wrote:
    > > > I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    > > > out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD
    > > > collections. One such system is this: http://kingwin.com/mobileracktrays.asp
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any experience with these systems for home use?

    > > Actually, those are just the trays for the mobile racks. The entire
    > > assemblies are here: http://kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp .
    > > I've had a KF-101-IPF (with the 60mm cooling fan in the bottom of
    > > the tray) for about 4 years, now. It has held up fine, but I admit that
    > > I only use it for backups. They are all-aluminum except for the locking
    > > handle, and the bottom fan really keeps the hard drive cool and the fan
    > > is quiet. Unfortunately, the concept of a bottom fan has not sold well,
    > > and the bottom fan version has been discontinued in the IDE line and
    > > not carried over to the SATA line.

    > > What remains in the mobile rack line-up are the ones with 1 to 3 fans
    > > that blow straight through - a pleasingly intuitive concept,

    Especially on the multiple fan concept, if one fan dies the drive is still
    reasonably protected against overheating.

    > > but a noisy one

    Well, at least it's a cheap and cheerful indicator that they are still working.

    > as the fans are only 40mm in diameter

    Which is quite enough.
    I have one 40mm fan blowing on top of a 10K SCSI and it's running
    on 7 Volts which is available in any tray suited for 3.5" drives

    > so they spin fast.

    There is no 'so' about it.
    I have one 40mm fan blowing on top of a 10K SCSI and it's running
    on 7 Volts which is available in any tray suited for 3.5" drives.
    That's on top, where as the temperature sensor is on the bottom of
    the drive. It runs at a nice 33C at 20C ambient.

    If memory serves me right it runs somewhere in the high 40ies without it.

    > I've heard that the plastic mobile racks made by
    > Athena have bottom fans, and those are an alternative.

    > From personal experience I agree that bottom fans are the better solution.

    Silly you.

    > > > Do the drives cook? Do the rack components (plastic) hold up over time?

    > > A poster in a microsoft NG swears by Athena, and she says that
    > > being plastic doesn't reduce the cooling or longevity.

    > This would mean that the cooling is mainly by airflow.
    > Not surprising.

    Pity then when that *single* bottom fan fails and the
    rack has no protection against it, the drive cooks itself.

    Personally I would look for a tray with a front air intake and back-half
    bottom-and-top air outlets, so the case fan(s) can serve as alternate tray
    fans.

    > Arno

  7. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:31:25 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    wrote:

    >"Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Actually, those are just the trays for the mobile racks. The entire
    >>> assemblies are here: http://kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp .
    >>> I've had a KF-101-IPF (with the 60mm cooling fan in the bottom of
    >>> the tray) for about 4 years, now. It has held up fine, but I admit that
    >>> I only use it for backups. They are all-aluminum except for the locking
    >>> handle, and the bottom fan really keeps the hard drive cool and the fan
    >>> is quiet. Unfortunately, the concept of a bottom fan has not sold well,
    >>> and the bottom fan version has been discontinued in the IDE line and
    >>> not carried over to the SATA line. What remains in the mobile rack
    >>> line-up are the ones with 1 to 3 fans that blow straight through - a
    >>> pleasingly intuitive concept, but a noisy one as the fans are only 40mm
    >>> in diameter so they spin fast. I've heard that the plastic mobile racks
    >>> made by Athena have bottom fans, and those are an alternative.

    >> From personal experience I agree that bottom fans are the better
    >> solution.

    >>> A poster in a microsoft NG swears by Athena, and she says that
    >>> being plastic doesn't reduce the cooling or longevity.

    >> This would mean that the cooling is mainly by airflow.
    >> Not surprising.

    > Yes, there is little firm contact area between the hot parts
    >of a hard drive and the tray that it is mounted in, so any conduction
    >to the aluminum tray is minimal.
    >
    > But I meant longevity of the plastic pieces. The other poster
    >is an IT consultant who recommends Athena to her clients, and
    >there have been no reported problems resulting from their plastic
    >construction.

    Do you have a URL for this "Athena?"

    Would not even know what to search for.

    Thanks

  8. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    wrote:
    > Do you have a URL for this "Athena?"
    >
    > Would not even know what to search for.

    Athena Power seems to have changed its website since last
    night. Now the only mobile racks with a bottom fan is this for
    SATA: http://athenapower.com/sub/mr136b.htm
    and this one with temperature monitoring for IDE:
    http://athenapower.com/sub/mr999atn.htm

    All models are aided by the case and power supply exhaust
    fans, and in case of a failure of the mobile rack fan, air is still
    drawn through the tray. Such are the advantages of case fans
    which blow air out the back, keeping the case interior at an air
    pressure lower than ambient.

    *TimDaniels*

  9. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    "Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
    > Athena Power seems to have changed its website since last
    > night. Now the only mobile racks with a bottom fan is this for
    > SATA: http://athenapower.com/sub/mr136b.htm
    > and this one with temperature monitoring for IDE:
    > http://athenapower.com/sub/mr999atn.htm
    >
    > All models are aided by the case and power supply exhaust
    > fans, and in case of a failure of the mobile rack fan, air is still
    > drawn through the tray. Such are the advantages of case fans
    > which blow air out the back, keeping the case interior at an air
    > pressure lower than ambient.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Tony:
    Take a look here...
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817123302
    the model we use.
    and here...
    http://www.athenapower.com
    and click on "Mobile Rack"

    You might also want to access the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup
    and access the recent thread on "Re: Mobile racks and trays".
    Anna

  10. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Previously Anna wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> Do you have a URL for this "Athena?"
    >>>
    >>> Would not even know what to search for.

    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
    >> Athena Power seems to have changed its website since last
    >> night. Now the only mobile racks with a bottom fan is this for
    >> SATA: http://athenapower.com/sub/mr136b.htm
    >> and this one with temperature monitoring for IDE:
    >> http://athenapower.com/sub/mr999atn.htm
    >>
    >> All models are aided by the case and power supply exhaust
    >> fans, and in case of a failure of the mobile rack fan, air is still
    >> drawn through the tray. Such are the advantages of case fans
    >> which blow air out the back, keeping the case interior at an air
    >> pressure lower than ambient.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Tony:
    > Take a look here...
    > http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817123302
    > the model we use.
    > and here...
    > http://www.athenapower.com
    > and click on "Mobile Rack"

    > You might also want to access the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup
    > and access the recent thread on "Re: Mobile racks and trays".
    > Anna

    I have to say that I had 2 of these for 4 drives each. The cooling
    was completely insufficient and the backplane was manufactured
    shoddily enough that I got SATA bus errors because of imprecise
    trace lenghts. This was admittedly 3 years ago. I take it these
    two issues are fixed in the 1 drive variant?

    Arno

  11. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > I have to say that I had 2 of these for 4 drives each. The cooling
    > was completely insufficient and the backplane was manufactured
    > shoddily enough that I got SATA bus errors because of imprecise
    > trace lenghts. This was admittedly 3 years ago. I take it these
    > two issues are fixed in the 1 drive variant?
    >
    > Arno

    Arno:
    I assume you've seen my posts in the pc-homebuilt newsgroup referred to
    above re the Athena removable HDD mobile rack.

    As far as mobile racks designed to handle two or more HDDs...

    I've really had only limited experience with them - chiefly the Athena
    BP-SATA3051B model (holds 5 HDDs with the unit installed in 3 bays). See...

    During the relatively short time we worked with that unit we didn't
    experience any problems - heat-related or otherwise. I'm aware of one other
    user who's been using that unit for some time now and he's satisfied with
    it.
    Anna

  12. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:44:44 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Do you have a URL for this "Athena?"
    >>
    >> Would not even know what to search for.

    > Athena Power seems to have changed its website since last
    >night. Now the only mobile racks with a bottom fan is this for
    >SATA: http://athenapower.com/sub/mr136b.htm
    >and this one with temperature monitoring for IDE:
    >http://athenapower.com/sub/mr999atn.htm
    >
    > All models are aided by the case and power supply exhaust
    >fans, and in case of a failure of the mobile rack fan, air is still
    >drawn through the tray. Such are the advantages of case fans
    >which blow air out the back, keeping the case interior at an air
    >pressure lower than ambient.

    Thanks very much for the two links Timothy.

    Much appreciated.

  13. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:15:36 -0400, "Anna" wrote:

    >Tony:
    >Take a look here...
    >http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817123302
    >the model we use.
    >and here...
    >http://www.athenapower.com
    >and click on "Mobile Rack"
    >
    >You might also want to access the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup
    >and access the recent thread on "Re: Mobile racks and trays".

    Thanks Anna that really helps. :-)

    For eight years now we have 8 machines that are equipped with DataPort
    Racks and trays. Just passive cooling and they have worked liked
    Champs. They also cost a lot more those days.

    I should hasten to add that these drives are only used to clone the C:
    drive back and forth. So they may be only on for 10-30 minutes. But
    even in the room where in the summer the temperature is always in the
    high nineties. Never a problem.

    Thanks again I shall have a look at them.

  14. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Am 30.04.2008 00:48 ken k wrote

    > I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    > out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD

    You may also want to check out these:

    1)
    http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4686
    and
    2)
    http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4589
    or
    3)
    http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4255

    I have (1) and (3) in use and am very satisfied. They are compatible to
    each other, meaning, that you can swap the disks between the internal
    swap-frame and the external enclosure. Build quality is high. The
    external is aluminium without fan at all, the internal has a small fan,
    which I, surprisingley do not really hear (in my pretty silent case).

    --
    Bye,
    Andreas M.

  15. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Andreas M. said the following on 5/2/2008 5:40 PM:
    > Am 30.04.2008 00:48 ken k wrote
    >
    >> I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    >> out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD

    > You may also want to check out these:
    >
    > 1)
    > http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4686
    > and
    > 2)
    > http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4589
    >
    > or
    > 3)
    > http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4255
    >

    > I have (1) and (3) in use and am very satisfied. They are compatible to
    > each other, meaning, that you can swap the disks between the internal
    > swap-frame and the external enclosure. Build quality is high. The
    > external is aluminium without fan at all, the internal has a small fan,
    > which I, surprisingley do not really hear (in my pretty silent case).

    I have recently seen Icy Dock on sale. It is apparently made or
    distributed by the same company. Do you have any experience with the
    Icy Dock brand with relation to reliability and durability?

    Thanks
    Ken K

  16. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    > Andreas M. said the following on 5/2/2008 5:40 PM:
    >> Am 30.04.2008 00:48 ken k wrote
    >>
    >>> I have been thinking about using a mobile rack and tray system to swap
    >>> out hard drives which store data, such as my music and video DVD

    >> You may also want to check out these:
    >>
    >> 1)
    >> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4686
    >> and
    >> 2)
    >> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4589
    >> or
    >> 3)
    >> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4255 I
    >> have (1) and (3) in use and am very satisfied. They are compatible to
    >> each other, meaning, that you can swap the disks between the internal
    >> swap-frame and the external enclosure. Build quality is high. The
    >> external is aluminium without fan at all, the internal has a small fan,
    >> which I, surprisingley do not really hear (in my pretty silent case).

    > I have recently seen Icy Dock on sale. It is apparently made or
    > distributed by the same company. Do you have any experience with the Icy
    > Dock brand with relation to reliability and durability?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ken K

    Ken:
    I believe the mobile rack (removable HDD device) Andreas mentions is the Icy
    Dock model available here in the U.S.

    When we were experimenting with a variety of makes & models of mobile racks
    designed for SATA HDDs a few years ago we did use a couple of Icy Dock
    models - the MR123 SK-1. It's all-aluminum with a small (about 38mm) fan in
    the rear. It was well-built (as Andreas has mentioned) and performed quite
    well as I recall, however, the Icy Dock was equipped with the usual keylock
    affair and we were particularly seeking a mobile rack device preferably
    *without* a keylock mechanism (because of our work we're more-or-less
    constantly inserting/removing the HDD trays to & from the rack) we
    eventually settled on the Athena MR-125 (all-plastic) model which has a
    sizeable 80mm fan bottom-mounted on the rack. The Athena has a simple
    push-button lever device that makes it very simple for inserting/removing
    the tray as well as activating/deactivating the HDD from the system.

    We eventually sold the two Icy Dock models to one of our customers and AFAIK
    he was quite satisfied with the device which I believe is still in use
    today.

    If I'm not mistaken, haven't I responded to one of your queries in this or
    another newsgroup re mobile racks?
    Anna

  17. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    Anna said the following on 5/3/2008 9:09 AM:
    >> Andreas M. said the following on 5/2/2008 5:40 PM:
    >>> Am 30.04.2008 00:48 ken k wrote

    >>> You may also want to check out these:
    >>>
    >>> 1)
    >>> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4686
    >>> and
    >>> 2)
    >>> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4589
    >>> or
    >>> 3)
    >>> http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/pro..._objectID=4255 I
    >>> have (1) and (3) in use and am very satisfied. They are compatible to
    >>> each other, meaning, that you can swap the disks between the internal
    >>> swap-frame and the external enclosure. Build quality is high. The
    >>> external is aluminium without fan at all, the internal has a small fan,
    >>> which I, surprisingley do not really hear (in my pretty silent case).

    >> I have recently seen Icy Dock on sale. It is apparently made or
    >> distributed by the same company. Do you have any experience with the Icy
    >> Dock brand with relation to reliability and durability?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Ken K

    > Ken:
    > I believe the mobile rack (removable HDD device) Andreas mentions is the Icy
    > Dock model available here in the U.S.
    >
    > When we were experimenting with a variety of makes & models of mobile racks
    > designed for SATA HDDs a few years ago we did use a couple of Icy Dock
    > models - the MR123 SK-1. It's all-aluminum with a small (about 38mm) fan in
    > the rear. It was well-built (as Andreas has mentioned) and performed quite
    > well as I recall, however, the Icy Dock was equipped with the usual keylock
    > affair and we were particularly seeking a mobile rack device preferably
    > *without* a keylock mechanism (because of our work we're more-or-less
    > constantly inserting/removing the HDD trays to & from the rack) we
    > eventually settled on the Athena MR-125 (all-plastic) model which has a
    > sizeable 80mm fan bottom-mounted on the rack. The Athena has a simple
    > push-button lever device that makes it very simple for inserting/removing
    > the tray as well as activating/deactivating the HDD from the system.
    >
    > We eventually sold the two Icy Dock models to one of our customers and AFAIK
    > he was quite satisfied with the device which I believe is still in use
    > today.
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken, haven't I responded to one of your queries in this or
    > another newsgroup re mobile racks?
    > Anna

    Yes, you have. I posted either here or pc-hardware, did not receive a
    response initially, posted in the other group, and then received

    WRT the lock, a friend has just tied a key onto the handle of each of
    his Kingwin trays so that they are handy. I think I will purchase teh
    Athena. The price is difficult to beat and I can use the "extra racks
    in other computers to allow for easy transfer of large files.

    Thanks again and apologies about the double post,
    KK

  18. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On 30 Apr 2008 01:03:52 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >This would mean that the cooling is mainly by airflow.
    >Not surprising.
    >
    >Arno

    I had LianLi plastick racks and they did have a small fan at the back
    of the cage to help cool but the fan was so small that I doubt it
    helped much. I disabled the fan and still had no issues with any of
    the HDD's I installed into them and I used them as main OS drives too.
    LianLi has aluminum racks too and I suppose they might be better as
    the aluminum acts like a heatsink.

  19. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On 1 May 2008 02:23:54 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >I have to say that I had 2 of these for 4 drives each. The cooling
    >was completely insufficient and the backplane was manufactured
    >shoddily enough that I got SATA bus errors because of imprecise
    >trace lenghts. This was admittedly 3 years ago. I take it these
    >two issues are fixed in the 1 drive variant?
    >
    >Arno

    Lian LI makes good HDD racks. They make good computer cases too. Like
    I said in my previous post, I used Lian Li racks for quite some time
    (IDE and not the ones listed below) and never had an issue with them.
    I don't use them any more because I used them as a trade with a
    friend, but he is using them with no issues either.

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=LIAN%2DLI

  20. Re: Mobile racks and trays systems

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:14:53 +0100, "Squeeze"
    wrote:

    >Personally I would look for a tray with a front air intake and back-half
    >bottom-and-top air outlets, so the case fan(s) can serve as alternate tray
    >fans.

    Yea, like tyhe Lian Li racks. I disabled the fan on mine and still
    never had any heat issues and they were used as main OS HDD's too and
    not just for back up. I checked the temp on tyhem and they were a few
    degrees hotter than if they were installed with no rack but nothing
    critical.

+ Reply to Thread