Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD! - Storage

This is a discussion on Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD! - Storage ; Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I want it new! Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere?? I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and not ...

  1. Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD!

    Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    want it new!

    Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

    I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

    TIA!!

  2. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    "Prisoner at War" wrote in message

    > Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    > want it new!
    >
    > Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >
    > I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    > not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >

    > TIA!!

    In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a good
    source for old NOS parts.

    Ed Cregger

  3. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD!

    Ed Cregger wrote:
    > "Prisoner at War" wrote in message
    >> Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    >> want it new!
    >>
    >> Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >>
    >> I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    >> not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >>

    >> TIA!!

    > In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a good
    > source for old NOS parts.

    It's startling how often civility can be mistaken for sarcasm.

  4. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    "Grinder" wrote in message
    > Ed Cregger wrote:
    >> "Prisoner at War" wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    >>> want it new!
    >>>
    >>> Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >>>
    >>> I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    >>> not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >>>

    >>> TIA!!

    >> In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a
    >> good source for old NOS parts.

    > It's startling how often civility can be mistaken for sarcasm.

    -----------

    Thank you. No sarcasm was intended.

    Ed Cregger

  5. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    In article
    Prisoner at War wrote:

    > Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    > want it new!
    >
    > Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >
    > I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    > not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >

    > TIA!!

    I just gotta ask ... why?

    Try eBay. That being said, there are tons of external disk drives
    available on the market. For examplet I just saw a 500GB external drive
    at buy.com for $79.

  6. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:18:04 -0700 (PDT), Prisoner at War
    wrote:

    >Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    >want it new!
    >
    >Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >
    >I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    >not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >

    >TIA!!

    I wouldn't know the I from the II, III, or 4 by pictures but
    if you do you might try this link,
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Max...II+-III+-4+-IV

    Unfortunately sellers are likely to still be selling at the
    higher yesteryear prices instead of taking a loss adjusting
    down to current market value. Such is often the case since
    the lower priced sellers tend to sell out of old stock much
    sooner.

    http://www.Surpluscomputers.com, http://www.geeks.com, or
    http://www.amazon.com might also be worth checking in
    addition to ebay. Then there's http://www.craigslist.org/
    but for some items that seems like more trouble than it's
    worth.

  7. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Prisoner at War wrote:

    > Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    > want it new!

    > Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

    > I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    > not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

    Any specific reason?

    Arno

  8. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On Apr 29, 4:08 am, "Ed Cregger" wrote:
    > "Grinder" wrote in message

    > > Ed Cregger wrote:
    > >> "Prisoner at War" wrote in message

    > >> In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a
    > >> good source for old NOS parts.

    > > It's startling how often civility can be mistaken for sarcasm.

    > -----------
    >
    > Thank you. No sarcasm was intended.
    >
    > Ed Cregger

    I searched eBay and amazon, and what they have are used...I want it
    *new* -- hence my curiosity about warehouse surpluses....

  9. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On Apr 29, 7:24 am, Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > I just gotta ask ... why?

    I hate to disappoint you, but the reason is banal and generally
    idiotic: it matches the one I currently have! Not only would another
    One Touch stack perfectly on top, but they'd look alike. ^_^

    > Try eBay. That being said, there are tons of external disk drives
    > available on the market. For examplet I just saw a 500GB external drive
    > at buy.com for $79.

    True...but I'd even pay $100 for a factory-sealed-never-used One
    Touch...unfortunately, people are only selling used ones for $50-$100
    on eBay and amazon...now that to me really doesn't make sense! ^_^

  10. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On Apr 29, 3:53 pm, kony wrote:

    > I wouldn't know the I from the II, III, or 4 by pictures but
    > if you do you might try this link,http://www.google.com/products?q=Max...II+-III+-4+-IV

    Thanks, man, but unfortunately no one there sells it, either.

    I don't understand google's popularity...it pulls up so much
    irrelevant garbage!

    I think I'll just get a 32 or even 64GB USB flash drive...?

    > Unfortunately sellers are likely to still be selling at the
    > higher yesteryear prices instead of taking a loss adjusting
    > down to current market value. Such is often the case since
    > the lower priced sellers tend to sell out of old stock much
    > sooner.
    >
    > http://www.Surpluscomputers.com,http://www.geeks.com, orhttp://www.amazon.commight also be worth checking in
    > addition to ebay. Then there'shttp://www.craigslist.org/
    > but for some items that seems like more trouble than it's
    > worth.

    Thanks again...looks like this thing has gone extinct!

  11. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    Prisoner at War wrote in news:8914769b-e450-4a5e-9fb3-6852a5c734f8@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com
    > On Apr 29, 7:03 pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > >

    > > Any specific reason?
    > >
    > > Arno

    > Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
    > match it!

    > But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

    To surplus hardware brokers.
    And they sell it on to everyone else who buys in bulk and then you may
    buy it from them.

    > I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
    > sold, right?

    It will, eventually. No supply is endless.

  12. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    "Prisoner at War" wrote in message

    > Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    > want it new!
    >
    > Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >
    > I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    > not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

    Okay, sorry... I understand you don't want a used one because of the state
    of the drive, but have you thought about getting a used one cheap just for
    the casing? You could always just swap the drive inside for a new one?

    Not sure which one it is, though, I have three different models of the
    Maxtor, one in white plastic which is Firewire only (and broken), one in
    blue plastic which is Firewire and USB2, and one which is aluminum and also
    Firewire and USB2.

    > TIA!!

  13. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    "Prisoner at War" wrote in message

    > Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
    > want it new!
    >
    > Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
    >
    > I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
    > not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....
    >

    > TIA!!

    I don't know if anyone else has answered likewise, but I have one,
    unopened, still in the fatory box. I bought it on ebay--it was too cheap to
    pass it up. I also have another one, just smaller harddrive, that I have
    been using about 10 months, and that's what brought my attention to it.
    Maybe I could put it on Ebay for you to buy, if you are afraid of a direct
    sale between us. Remove the obvious and join together to email. daniels_sam
    at bellsouth.spamnet--just be sure to include the "underscore" between
    names. Luck to you. sdlomi2

  14. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 05:53:45 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >> Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

    >Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

    I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
    fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
    actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
    check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
    givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

    I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
    around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
    mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
    get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
    platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
    roughly 50% off.

  15. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch External HDD!

    kony wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> kony wrote

    >>> Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

    >> Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

    > I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
    > fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
    > actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
    > check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
    > givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

    Irrelevant to whether its still essentially free to the
    consumer who chooses to avail themselves of the rebate.

    > I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since around the beginning of 2006.

    Irrelevant to whether they do happen.

    > I don't mean one-off deals,

    You cant ignore those.

    > I mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could get
    > a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per platter
    > at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate, roughly 50% off.

    There's plenty of other free after rebate deals on other products.

  16. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On Thu, 1 May 2008, kony wrote:

    > On Fri, 2 May 2008 05:53:45 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

    >> Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

    > I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
    > fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
    > actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
    > check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
    > givaway-loss to the manufacturer.
    >
    > I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
    > around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
    > mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
    > get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
    > platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
    > roughly 50% off.

    Well so many people whined about the "unfairness" of rebates
    that the companies pretty much dropped them. And as was
    expected, the really great deals disappeared.

    Companies can't give away stuff all the time, or give a really
    great discount. Rebates were the tradeoff, offering a great
    deal for those willing to make the effort.

    The whiners didn't understand what the rebates were about,
    so they killed the golden goose.

    There was never any chance that things would be free if
    every single item had to be free.

    Michael

  17. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On May 1, 6:22 pm, kony wrote:

    > I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
    > fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
    > actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
    > check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
    > givaway-loss to the manufacturer.
    >
    > I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
    > around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
    > mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
    > get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
    > platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
    > roughly 50% off.

    Heehee, I got this One Touch around 2004 when buy.com was having a
    coupon war with somebody!

  18. Re: Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One TouchExternal HDD!

    On Apr 30, 1:20 pm, "DanielEKFA" wrote:

    > Okay, sorry... I understand you don't want a used one because of the state
    > of the drive, but have you thought about getting a used one cheap just for
    > the casing? You could always just swap the drive inside for a new one?

    Well, yeah, except -- don't laugh -- that seems wasteful!

    > Not sure which one it is, though, I have three different models of the
    > Maxtor, one in white plastic which is Firewire only (and broken), one in
    > blue plastic which is Firewire and USB2, and one which is aluminum and also
    > Firewire and USB2.

    I've got the one with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400. It's a really nice
    design...don't know why they went with the boxed and square look
    (something to do with those Chrysler Scion box-cars??)....

+ Reply to Thread