RAID 1 Storage Verification Question - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID 1 Storage Verification Question - Storage ; Windows XP eMachines computer with AMD Athlon processor I have recenly bought a Cavalry 2x500GB external storage with built-in RAID capability. I am new to RAID configurations, even though not for computers in general. Cavalry drive came with SteelVine Manager ...

  1. RAID 1 Storage Verification Question

    Windows XP
    eMachines computer with AMD Athlon processor

    I have recenly bought a Cavalry 2x500GB external storage with built-in
    RAID capability. I am new to RAID configurations, even though not for
    computers in general.

    Cavalry drive came with SteelVine Manager software that lets us
    configure the drive in various configurations. Since my original
    intent was to obtain 100% redundancy, I chose RAID 1 config and went
    through the process. Now Windows recognizes the drive as one 500 GB
    hard drive.

    I have saved bunch of files (80 GB) so far.

    My question is how do I know for a fact the data is being written to
    both the drives? I don't want to use Cavalry's software, but use some
    external method to verify. Is there a way to verify this by using
    Windows tools or any external (preferably free) utilities?

    Thank you very much for your time.

  2. Re: RAID 1 Storage Verification Question

    skarkada@gmail.com wrote:
    > Windows XP
    > eMachines computer with AMD Athlon processor
    >
    > I have recenly bought a Cavalry 2x500GB external storage with built-in
    > RAID capability. I am new to RAID configurations, even though not for
    > computers in general.
    >
    > Cavalry drive came with SteelVine Manager software that lets us
    > configure the drive in various configurations. Since my original
    > intent was to obtain 100% redundancy, I chose RAID 1 config and went
    > through the process. Now Windows recognizes the drive as one 500 GB
    > hard drive.
    >
    > I have saved bunch of files (80 GB) so far.
    >
    > My question is how do I know for a fact the data is being written to
    > both the drives? I don't want to use Cavalry's software, but use some
    > external method to verify. Is there a way to verify this by using
    > Windows tools or any external (preferably free) utilities?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your time.

    Pull the drives out and connect them one at a time to your computer
    directly.

    XP is smart enough that it will find any DOS looking partitions even if
    there's some metadata written to those drives by the controller.

    If it's a RAID1 array, you should just be able to see your data on each
    drive.

    Here's the catch- If this is really good RAID controller, it may notice
    data changed between the drives if you mounted them under windows and
    changed anything, then fail them if you run them together again since they
    no longer match.

  3. Re: RAID 1 Storage Verification Question

    On Apr 28, 10:09*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Pull the drives out and connect them one at a time to your computer
    > directly.

    Opening the box voids warranty. But, I guess I have no other choice.
    Thanks for your message.

  4. Re: RAID 1 Storage Verification Question

    skarkada@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 10:09?am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >

    >> Pull the drives out and connect them one at a time to your computer
    >> directly.
    >>

    > Opening the box voids warranty. But, I guess I have no other choice.
    > Thanks for your message.

    So what are you supposed to do if a drive fails?

    send the good drive back so it can get erased at the repair depot, so you
    then lose everything?

  5. Re: RAID 1 Storage Verification Question

    wrote in message
    > Windows XP
    > eMachines computer with AMD Athlon processor
    >
    > I have recenly bought a Cavalry 2x500GB external storage with built-in
    > RAID capability. I am new to RAID configurations, even though not for
    > computers in general.
    >
    > Cavalry drive came with SteelVine Manager software that lets us
    > configure the drive in various configurations. Since my original
    > intent was to obtain 100% redundancy, I chose RAID 1 config and went
    > through the process. Now Windows recognizes the drive as one 500 GB
    > hard drive.
    >
    > I have saved bunch of files (80 GB) so far.
    >
    > My question is how do I know for a fact the data is being written to
    > both the drives? I don't want to use Cavalry's software, but use some
    > external method to verify. Is there a way to verify this by using
    > Windows tools or any external (preferably free) utilities?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your time.

    Use the free version of DataMover to perform I/O to a logical target (your
    500GB LUN recognized by Windows). When performing I/O to this drive, you
    should see drive activity on both physical disks in your storage device
    (activity LED).

    Moojit

+ Reply to Thread