USB external HDD convert to SATA possible? - Storage

This is a discussion on USB external HDD convert to SATA possible? - Storage ; Dave Seven wrote: > Yousuf Khan wrote: >> No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new >> enclosure with an eSATA connector already included on it. And then >> you can transfer the hard drive ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Dave Seven wrote:
    > Yousuf Khan wrote:

    >> No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new
    >> enclosure with an eSATA connector already included on it. And then
    >> you can transfer the hard drive inside one of your USB-only
    >> enclosures into the new enclosure.

    > My HDD's that I can use are all IDE though and that case would require SATA HDD, no?

    Yep.

  2. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67lk0jF2otqkvU1@mid.individual.net

    Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    > > I could just buy one of those instead.

    > No such animal.

    Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    > > I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new external SATA HDD.

    > Thats your only viable option.

    Clueless, as always.

  3. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67lk2aF2oj5cuU1@mid.individual.net
    > Dave Seven wrote
    > > Rod Speed wrote

    > > > Whether that works or not depends on whether the existing external
    > > > USB HDDs have sata drives in them or not. It wont work if they have
    > > > PATA drives in them and most of the older ones will have PATA drives.

    > > Yea, they are all PATA so nfg. Guess I will have to buy a new eSATA external HDD.

    > Yep.

    Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

  4. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67kc0dF2p0f9oU1@mid.individual.net
    > Yousuf Khan wrote
    > > Dave Seven wrote:

    > > > I bought an HD PVR and they use a SATA port to connect an external HDD instead of USB for extra storage space. I have
    > > > 5 external USB HDDs and would rather use one of those than having to buy a new external SATA HDD. I looked on NCIX
    > > > for such a converter and can't find one. Is there such a converter?

    > > No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new enclosure
    > > with an eSATA connector already included on it. And then you can
    > > transfer the hard drive inside one of your USB-only enclosures into
    > > the new enclosure.

    > Whether that works or not depends on whether the existing external
    > USB HDDs have sata drives in them or not.

    Nonsense.

    > It wont work if they have PATA drives in them and most of the older
    > ones will have PATA drives.

    Clueless, as always.

    > > However, there is one solution I've seen.
    > > It seems to be something that'll convert SATA into USB,

    > Its just what external USB HDDs have in them,
    > without the box and with an extra passive USB hub.
    >
    > > but I'm not sure if it can convert a USB into a SATA.

    > No it wont, it only does the other way.
    >
    > > Your best bet is to get a new enclosure with the eSATA already built in.

    > That will only work if the existing USB HDDs have SATA drives in them.

    Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    > > usb to sata usb hub
    > > http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...h_usb_hub.html

  5. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:67l1c6F2o3i1qU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Squeeze wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:67imopF2p0e7bU1@mid.individual.net
    > > >
    > > > Not possible without implementing a full bridge.

    > > > USB needs a master on the other side.

    > > So do IDE or SATA or SCSI or... or ... or ... devices, take your pick.

    > True for IDE and SATA, and consequentially the corresponding
    > type of converter does not exist for the either.

    Nonsense.
    http://www.usb.brando.com.hk/prod_de...?prod_id=00265

    > SCSI happens to be a multi-master bus, where every device can be
    > master, if so inclined.

    Right, such a converter is obviously *infinitively* more complex.

    > In modern words, SCSI is Peer-to-Peer,

    So is USB.

    > while USB needs one fixed, dedicated master,

    Nonsense.

    > has a hierachical structure

    As does SCSI.

    > and nothing happens without the single, fixed master.

    Neither with SCSI, your blathering about being peer-to-peer not withstanding.

    > > > Such a converter would basically need to be a computer that
    > > > emulates an SATA drive on the other side.

    > > Similarly that IDE to SCSI converters need to be a computer that
    > > emulates a SCSI drive on the other side, babblebot?

    > Ahh, roddles the clueless. They are done in this way. But as SCSI
    > supports very slow signalling, usually a slow 8 bit SoC is enough.

    Ohoho, that one is precious. You must be a hell of a poker player, babblebot.

    > > Pity that IDE to SCSI converters are available in chip form anyway.
    > > Pity that SATA to IDE converters are available in chip form anyway too.

    > SATA to IDE is simple,

    Pity SCSI isn't.
    Pity too that you just said above that they don't exist.

    > because of the same command-set, bust structure and bus arbitration.

    Like it is any different with IDE to SATA.
    Pity about that "needing a master" argument that you were blathering about.

    > > Hey, there's even IDE to SATA converters, imagine that eh, they plonk
    > > a whole computer on those SATA drives.

    > So?

    Hey, it's your contention, moron.

    > > > Bottom line: While there may be such converters, expect to
    > > > pay several hundred or more USD/EUR and expect them to
    > > > be the size of a small industrial PC.

    > > Bwahahah.

    > As usual: No clue, no arguments that withstand even quick scrutiny

    > and a big mouth.

    Talking to your mirror image again, babblebot?

    > Arno

  6. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Dave Seven wrote in news:rnfRj.227580$pM4.92094@pd7urf1no
    > Squeeze wrote:
    >
    > > No, really?
    > >
    > > http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

    > That device goes SATA to USB and not USB to SATA, as I need.

    What makes you think I even care for a gay troll like yourself.

    My point was about the "difficult" , "don't exist" and
    need "a full computer" rant from the clueless babblebot.

    Btw, If you had looked around more at that site you would
    have already found what you are looking for.
    Obviously you are far more interested in trolling.

  7. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67lk4cF2ngthuU1@mid.individual.net
    > Dave Seven wrote:
    > > Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > > > No need to buy an entire external HDD system, just buy a new
    > > > enclosure with an eSATA connector already included on it.
    > > > And then you can transfer the hard drive inside one of your

    > > USB-only enclosures into the new enclosure.

    > > My HDD's that I can use are all IDE though and that case would require SATA HDD, no?

    > Yep.

    Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    And there's loads more of 'm.

  8. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    2345 aka Rodbot wrote in news:48155b35$0$8123$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Squeeze wrote:
    > > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:67kdu6F2obrdeU1@mid.individual.net

    > > > No, really?

    > > > http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

    > > This device is SATA to USB, not the other way round. Read
    > > the discussion.
    > >
    > > You are clueless as allways, rod.

    > You cant even work out who you're talking to.
    >
    > Its ****nert, stupid.

    This is too precious. Two birds with one stone.

  9. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Previously 2345 <2345@sam.com> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Squeeze wrote:
    >>> Arno Wagner wrote in news:67kdu6F2obrdeU1@mid.individual.net

    >>> No, really?

    >>> http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

    >> This device is SATA to USB, not the other way round. Read
    >> the discussion.
    >>
    >> You are clueless as allways, rod.

    > You cant even work out who you're talking to.

    > Its ****nert, stupid.

    What, you mean you are not the same person?

    Maybe stopping to lie about your identity would then be
    a good idea ...

    Arno

  10. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Previously Dave Seven wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> SATA to IDE is simple, because of the same command-set,
    >> bust structure and bus arbitration.

    > Are there external HDD cases that convert an IDE HDD to a SATA
    > connection on the external case? I could just buy one of those instead.
    > I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new external SATA HDD.

    There are. Not that many though. Just look with any well
    stocked computer parts supplier.

    Arno

  11. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously 2345 <2345@sam.com> wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> This device is SATA to USB, not the other way round. Read
    >>> the discussion.
    >>>
    >>> You are clueless as allways, rod.

    >> You cant even work out who you're talking to.

    >> Its ****nert, stupid.

    > What, you mean you are not the same person?

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

    Look at the headers, stupid.

    > Maybe stopping to lie about your identity would then be a good idea ...

    Dont have any option when fools like you play stupid childish games with killfiles, ****wit.

  12. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    On Apr 28, 3:49 am, Dave Seven wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > Whether that works or not depends on whether the existing external
    > > USB HDDs have sata drives in them or not. It wont work if they have
    > > PATA drives in them and most of the older ones will have PATA drives.

    > Yea, they are all PATA so nfg. Guess I will have to buy a new eSATA
    > external HDD.

    PATA IDE To SATA Adapter Converter For HDD DVD SA20K - eBay (item
    250240658317 end time Apr-28-08 15:48:00 PDT)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PATA-IDE-To-SATA...QQcmdZViewItem

    Yousuf Khan

  13. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    On Apr 28, 8:24 am, "Squeeze" wrote:
    > > > Yea, they are all PATA so nfg. Guess I will have to buy a new eSATA external HDD.

    > > Yep.

    > Clueless, as always:http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    You might want to reconsider the clueless wording. The device you
    showed, is only for SATA hard drives, not PATA. PATA drives would
    require a SATA converter.

    Yousuf Khan

  14. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    bbbl67 wrote in news:8df2d5a0-d237-4c7b-b0d5-cdbb3646a978@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com
    > On Apr 28, 3:49 am, Dave Seven wrote:
    > > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > > Whether that works or not depends on whether the existing external
    > > > USB HDDs have sata drives in them or not. It wont work if they have
    > > > PATA drives in them and most of the older ones will have PATA drives.

    > > Yea, they are all PATA so nfg. Guess I will have to buy a new eSATA
    > > external HDD.

    > PATA IDE To SATA Adapter Converter For HDD DVD SA20K - eBay (item
    > 250240658317 end time Apr-28-08 15:48:00 PDT)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/PATA-IDE-To-SATA...QQcmdZViewItem

    Once an idiot, always an idiot.

    > Yousuf Khan

  15. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:67m7g3F2p5k0oU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Dave Seven wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > SATA to IDE is simple, because of the same command-set,
    > > > bust structure and bus arbitration.

    > > Are there external HDD cases that convert an IDE HDD to a SATA
    > > connection on the external case? I could just buy one of those instead.
    > > I'm trying to avoid having to buy a new external SATA HDD.

    > There are. Not that many though.

    He only needs one, babblebot.
    I think, somehow the industrie can manage that.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...it&btnG=Search

    > Just look with any well stocked computer parts supplier.

    Yeah, why bother with the internet and search engines.

    Btw, nice to know that you still read my posts, babblebot.
    Too bad you can't steal from them without anyone immediately able to tell.

    > Arno

  16. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Eric Gisin wrote in news:eNadna0LfK75Z4jVnZ2dnUVZ_vmlnZ2d@uniservecomm unications
    > "Squeeze" wrote in message news:4815dadb$0$13851$8f2e0ebb@news.shared-secrets.com...
    > > Arno Wagner wrote in news:67l1c6F2o3i1qU1@mid.individual.net
    > >
    > > > SCSI happens to be a multi-master bus, where every device can be
    > > > master, if so inclined.

    > > Right, such a converter is obviously *infinitively* more complex.
    > >
    > > > In modern words, SCSI is Peer-to-Peer,

    > > So is USB.

    > Bull****, FolkNutz. It's master host to slave devices.

    Pity about those OTG dual role devices, Gisin newbie.
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...e_number/1822/

    Abstract: USB On-The-Go (OTG) allows two USB devices to talk to
    each other without requiring the services of a personal computer.
    Although OTG appears to add "peer to peer" connections to USB, it
    does not. Instead, USB OTG retains the standard USB host/peripheral
    model, where a single host talks to USB peripherals.
    OTG introduces the dual-role device (DRD), capable of functioning as
    either host or peripheral. Part of the magic of OTG is that a host and
    peripheral can exchange roles if necessary.

    Not exactly peer-to-peer, but close enough.

    No computer host needed. Just a chippie the size of a postage stamp.
    But thank you for giving me the opportunity to show that babblebot
    off as a clueless idiot, once again.

    > > > while USB needs one fixed, dedicated master,

    > > Nonsense.

    > Bull**** again, FolkNutz.

    Yeah sure. Pity about that "fixed" and "dedicated", Gisin newbie.

    > > > has a hierachical structure

    > > As does SCSI.
    > >
    > > > and nothing happens without the single, fixed master.

    Pity about USB OTG.

  17. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Yousuf Khan wrote

    > > > Yep.

    > > Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    > You might want to reconsider the clueless wording. The device you
    > showed, is only for SATA hard drives, not PATA. PATA drives would
    > require a SATA converter.

    ROTFLOL. A+ for effort to get the comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
    *"KOOK of the Year"* award.

    > Yousuf Khan

  18. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Squeeze wrote:

    > Clueless, as always: http://www.xpcgear.com/rocketmate1100.html

    Great, and thanks. Now to find one for sale in Canada.

  19. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    Squeeze wrote:

    > He only needs one, babblebot.
    > I think, somehow the industrie can manage that.

    I need a Canadian distributor.

  20. Re: USB external HDD convert to SATA possible?

    ??? ****ing wacko.