file name maximum length? - Storage

This is a discussion on file name maximum length? - Storage ; What’s the maximum numbers of characters I can use for files and folders in OS 10.3? I seem to be able to make a lot of them but when I try to copy them to a hard drive that was ...

  1. file name maximum length?

    What’s the maximum numbers of characters I can use for files and
    folders in OS 10.3? I seem to be able to make a lot of them but when I
    try to copy them to a hard drive that was formatted with an older FWB
    that was running system running 8.1 it just say something like an
    error occurred name too long and will not copy the file. I reduce the
    number of characters down and then I can get it to copy.
    Is it the hard drive’s driver or is it an OS thing. Why did the old
    systems beep when you reached the limit when creating file names but
    OS 10 does not until you try to save the file? Word for X says you are
    limited to 31 characters? I know it is convenient to have longer names
    but I need to transfer stuff to older macs running pre OS 9. Is there
    a way to get OS 10.3 to not let me go over the limit each time I make
    a file or folder name? With Textedit it seems like I can add as many
    characters as I want.
    If I were to use Os 10.3 Disk Utility on this SCSI hard drive to
    reformat it. Then I move from computer to computer would I be able to
    use longer names at least showing in OS 10.3? And would the older Macs
    running the older OS be able to see the files with what I guess would
    be truncated names as happens on PC sometimes when the name is
    shortened with a tilde at the end?

  2. Re: file name maximum length?

    On 2008-04-26 19:29:57 -0400, DJW said:

    > WhatÕs the maximum numbers of characters I can use for files and
    > folders in OS 10.3? I seem to be able to make a lot of them but when I
    > try to copy them to a hard drive that was formatted with an older FWB
    > that was running system running 8.1 it just say something like an
    > error occurred name too long and will not copy the file. I reduce the
    > number of characters down and then I can get it to copy.
    > Is it the hard driveÕs driver or is it an OS thing. Why did the old
    > systems beep when you reached the limit when creating file names but
    > OS 10 does not until you try to save the file? Word for X says you are
    > limited to 31 characters? I know it is convenient to have longer names
    > but I need to transfer stuff to older macs running pre OS 9. Is there
    > a way to get OS 10.3 to not let me go over the limit each time I make
    > a file or folder name? With Textedit it seems like I can add as many
    > characters as I want.
    > If I were to use Os 10.3 Disk Utility on this SCSI hard drive to
    > reformat it. Then I move from computer to computer would I be able to
    > use longer names at least showing in OS 10.3? And would the older Macs
    > running the older OS be able to see the files with what I guess would
    > be truncated names as happens on PC sometimes when the name is
    > shortened with a tilde at the end?

    If the old drive is formatted HFS, it has a 31 character limit for file
    names. HFS+ allows 255. OSX doesn't complain for names longer than 31
    until you try to save because, until then, you can still select the
    drive to save to, so it doesn't know if you will choose a drive
    formatted as HFS or HFS+.
    If the older OS didn't support drives with HFS+ it could complain immediately.
    If you try to use a HFS+ drive on a system that supports only HFS, you
    will not be able to see the files. You will get a message something
    like "Where are all the files?".

  3. Re: file name maximum length?

    In article
    ,
    DJW wrote:

    > Whatís the maximum numbers of characters I can use for files and
    > folders in OS 10.3?

    255 characters

    > I seem to be able to make a lot of them but when I
    > try to copy them to a hard drive that was formatted with an older FWB
    > that was running system running 8.1 it just say something like an
    > error occurred name too long and will not copy the file.

    was it formatted as hfs or hfs+ ? hfs only supports 3 characters, but
    hfs+ supports 255. however, finder prior to os x only supports 31.

    if you ugrade to os 9, it will handle longer file names properly but it
    will display a hashed name in the finder, but the full name is
    maintained on the disk.

    > Word for X says you are
    > limited to 31 characters?

    it's a bug.

  4. Re: file name maximum length?

    In article <270420080605347520%nospam@nospam.invalid>, nospam
    wrote:

    > was it formatted as hfs or hfs+ ? hfs only supports 3 characters, but

    so much for proofreading my posts. that's 31 characters, not 3

  5. Re: file name maximum length?

    On Apr 27, 12:58 am, Malcolm wrote:
    > On 2008-04-26 19:29:57 -0400, DJW said:
    >

    > > WhatÕs the maximum numbers of characters I can use for files and
    > > folders in OS 10.3? I seem to be able to make a lot of them but when I
    > > try to copy them to a hard drive that was formatted with an older FWB
    > > that was running system running 8.1 it just say something like an
    > > error occurred name too long and will not copy the file. I reduce the
    > > number of characters down and then I can get it to copy.
    > > Is it the hard driveÕs driver or is it an OS thing. Why did the old
    > > systems beep when you reached the limit when creating file names but
    > > OS 10 does not until you try to save the file? Word for X says you are
    > > limited to 31 characters? I know it is convenient to have longer names
    > > but I need to transfer stuff to older macs running pre OS 9. Is there
    > > a way to get OS 10.3 to not let me go over the limit each time I make
    > > a file or folder name? With Textedit it seems like I can add as many
    > > characters as I want.
    > > If I were to use Os 10.3 Disk Utility on this SCSI hard drive to
    > > reformat it. Then I move from computer to computer would I be able to
    > > use longer names at least showing in OS 10.3? And would the older Macs
    > > running the older OS be able to see the files with what I guess would
    > > be truncated names as happens on PC sometimes when the name is
    > > shortened with a tilde at the end?

    > If the old drive is formatted HFS, it has a 31 character limit for file
    > names. HFS+ allows 255. OSX doesn't complain for names longer than 31
    > until you try to save because, until then, you can still select the
    > drive to save to, so it doesn't know if you will choose a drive
    > formatted as HFS or HFS+.
    > If the older OS didn't support drives with HFS+ it could complain immediately.
    > If you try to use a HFS+ drive on a system that supports only HFS, you
    > will not be able to see the files. You will get a message something
    > like "Where are all the files?".

    Thanks for the help it must be formatted in HFS not plus. I think I
    found a work around help by booting the computer that I normally run
    OS 10.3 in OS 9.2.1. The names shorten and then I can copy them over.
    Some of the older Macs I move the SCSI hard drive over to ARE OLD. So
    I run between OS 7.1 through 8.6. What was the oldest OS that supports
    HFS+?

  6. Re: file name maximum length?

    In article
    ,
    DJW wrote:

    > Thanks for the help it must be formatted in HFS not plus. I think I
    > found a work around help by booting the computer that I normally run
    > OS 10.3 in OS 9.2.1. The names shorten and then I can copy them over.

    they'll lose the long names that way. if you switch between os 9 and
    os x, the long names will be maintained.

    > Some of the older Macs I move the SCSI hard drive over to ARE OLD. So
    > I run between OS 7.1 through 8.6. What was the oldest OS that supports
    > HFS+?

    8.1

  7. Re: file name maximum length?

    On Apr 27, 8:37 am, nospam wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > DJW wrote:
    > > Thanks for the help it must be formatted in HFS not plus. I think I
    > > found a work around help by booting the computer that I normally run
    > > OS 10.3 in OS 9.2.1. The names shorten and then I can copy them over.

    > they'll lose the long names that way. if you switch between os 9 and
    > os x, the long names will be maintained.
    >
    > > Some of the older Macs I move the SCSI hard drive over to ARE OLD. So
    > > I run between OS 7.1 through 8.6. What was the oldest OS that supports
    > > HFS+?

    > 8.1

    when you say "if you switch between os 9 and os x, the long names will
    be maintained." do you mean use classic because insn't the finder
    still OS X in classic? I need the names shortened anyway on the copied
    to drive for use with 7.1 and 7.5.5 that is on two of the four older
    macs anyway

  8. Re: file name maximum length?

    In article
    <5163a6a1-2d77-4f9d-8ab5-b11f18366849@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    DJW wrote:

    > when you say "if you switch between os 9 and os x, the long names will
    > be maintained." do you mean use classic because insn't the finder
    > still OS X in classic? I need the names shortened anyway on the copied
    > to drive for use with 7.1 and 7.5.5 that is on two of the four older
    > macs anyway

    what i mean is that hfs+ will keep the full file name (up to 255
    characters), but finder in os 9 will only display 31. the full name is
    still there, and if you attach that drive to a mac running os x, you'll
    see longer name but when it's on an os9 mac you'll see the hashed
    shorter name. i'm pretty sure the full name will copy over the network
    between an os9 and osx machine, but i have no way to confirm that at
    the moment.

    in other words, os 9 supports longer file names, it just can't display
    them.

+ Reply to Thread