Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist? - Storage

This is a discussion on Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist? - Storage ; Hello: I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely ...

  1. Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Hello:

    I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    Thank you in advance for any pointers.

    -- A.

  2. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    abonne wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    > (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    > with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    > configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    would just look like networked storage.

    - bill

  3. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    abonne wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    > (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    > with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    > configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    would just look like networked storage.

    - bill

  4. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Bill Todd wrote:
    > abonne wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    >> (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    >> with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    >> configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    > I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    > inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    > installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    > 1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    > would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    > would just look like networked storage.
    >
    > - bill

    So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
    device:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

    , right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
    system to make further conversions.

    I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    system directly as a USB disk drive.

    Thanks.

    -- Andy

  5. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Bill Todd wrote:
    > abonne wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    >> (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    >> with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    >> configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    > I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    > inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    > installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    > 1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    > would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    > would just look like networked storage.
    >
    > - bill

    So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
    device:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

    , right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
    system to make further conversions.

    I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    system directly as a USB disk drive.

    Thanks.

    -- Andy

  6. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    > Bill Todd wrote:
    >> abonne wrote:
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    >>> (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    >>> with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    >>> configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    >> I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    >> inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    >> installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    >> 1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    >> would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    >> would just look like networked storage.
    >>
    >> - bill

    > So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
    > device:

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

    > , right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
    > system to make further conversions.

    > I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    > system directly as a USB disk drive.

    Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

    Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    a different way?

    Arno

  7. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    > Bill Todd wrote:
    >> abonne wrote:
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    >>> (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    >>> with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    >>> configurable to access the specific networked storage.

    >> I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
    >> inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
    >> installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
    >> 1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
    >> would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
    >> would just look like networked storage.
    >>
    >> - bill

    > So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
    > device:

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

    > , right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
    > system to make further conversions.

    > I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    > system directly as a USB disk drive.

    Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

    Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    a different way?

    Arno

  8. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Not really possible.
    USB drives are block devices that can be formatted,
    and SMB is file based and does not provide block access.

    It would be possible with iSCSI, but there is little market for that.

    "abonne" wrote in message news:48131668$0$21060$426a74cc@news.free.fr...

    > I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    > (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    > with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    > configurable to access the specific networked storage.

  9. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Not really possible.
    USB drives are block devices that can be formatted,
    and SMB is file based and does not provide block access.

    It would be possible with iSCSI, but there is little market for that.

    "abonne" wrote in message news:48131668$0$21060$426a74cc@news.free.fr...

    > I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
    > (SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
    > with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
    > configurable to access the specific networked storage.

  10. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    >> I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    >> system directly as a USB disk drive.

    > Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    > software an a spciel USB slave interface card.
    >
    > Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    > a different way?
    >
    > Arno

    Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
    drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
    the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
    option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
    Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
    *cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

    -- Andy

  11. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    >> I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    >> system directly as a USB disk drive.

    > Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    > software an a spciel USB slave interface card.
    >
    > Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    > a different way?
    >
    > Arno

    Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
    drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
    the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
    option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
    Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
    *cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

    -- Andy

  12. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    >>> I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    >>> system directly as a USB disk drive.

    >> Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    >> software an a spciel USB slave interface card.
    >>
    >> Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    >> a different way?
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    > Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
    > drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
    > the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
    > option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
    > Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
    > *cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

    Hmm, tricky. Best find out whether this box can record to network,
    e.g. via samba, ftp, or the like.

    If not, an USB extender (not over the netwrok, as that has the
    prblems I originaly mentioned) is your best option.

    Arno

  13. Re: Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne wrote:

    >>> I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
    >>> system directly as a USB disk drive.

    >> Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
    >> software an a spciel USB slave interface card.
    >>
    >> Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
    >> a different way?
    >>
    >> Arno
    >>

    > Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
    > drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
    > the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
    > option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
    > Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
    > *cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

    Hmm, tricky. Best find out whether this box can record to network,
    e.g. via samba, ftp, or the like.

    If not, an USB extender (not over the netwrok, as that has the
    prblems I originaly mentioned) is your best option.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread